Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Editing Video's from Mini HDV Video Cassettes

I am new to this, so I need as much help as possible. I am attempting to edit and make a sports highlight Disc from Mini HDV Video Cassettes.

I plan on using Pinnacle Studio to edit the tapes, once I can figure out an inexpensive way to transfer the tapes to my PC.. Is there an player that is reasonably priced that will accomplish this task?

Re: Editing Video's from Mini HDV Video Cassettes

alas mini dv players are considered broadcast equipment and are incredibly expensive. They aren't to expensive to hire if it is a short or one off job. Most video cameras have a firewire interface through which you can transfer your tapes to the computer for editing. If your computer doesn't have a firewire port, a reasonably good one can be bought for less than $50 (your going to need a firewire port even if you hire the mini dv vcr)

Once your camera or vcr is connected you need to "capture" your video. most editing programs have a facility to capture video built in with varying levels of control. Typically you can either capture by playing the source and hitting record or if you have taken note of the start and finish times of the bits you want you can log these clips and perform a batch capture where the computer will automatically control your device, fast forwarding, rewinding, playing and recording until all the clips you have entered are captured. Either way it happens in real time so if the clip is 40 minutes long, it will take you that long to capture it. Once captured you can edit as you would normally.

Let me know if you have any more questions. It has been years since I last used pinnacle, but I should be able to help.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

I do not own a video camera, so would you suggest I rent one? Is there not an inexpensive mini cassette player that I could purchase?

Looks like you will have to rent or borrow one then. Renting or buying a mini cassete player is going to cost big $$ as they are broadcast equipment - somewhere in the vacinity of $250 a day to hire....

I guess your other option is to pay someone to transfer them for you. This might proove more cost effective.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information