Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Looking for underwater camera recommendations

Hi all, new to the group..

I have been trying to find a quality camera that has the following specs:

Submersible up to 10 feet
    low light compensation (not able to use a light for my application)
    steam video output to a small monitor
    preferred 12VDC or battery operation
    Not to big in size
    fair to good quality picture, since I would like to see as far as possible under water, which could be murky at times.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers
    Joe

Re: Looking for underwater camera recommendations

At those depths you are really looking for a camera and waterproof housing as you can't really get cameras that are natively water resistant to that depth. The best on the market these days a lightly splash proof rather than waterproof. If you want a live feed to an external monitor you would be looking at the top end of he broadcast spectru
    For a model that can do it wirelessly as nobody makes housings with cables coming out. As for low light. Trial and error, but look for something witha fast lens and try it inflow light to see of the gain grain is too objectionable. Water is going to shorten bow far you
    See dramatically even when it is clean with bright light penetration so I would be prepared to do a lot of testing before you get a good solution.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

At those depths you are really looking for a camera and waterproof housing as you can't really get cameras that are natively water resistant to that depth. The best on the market these days a lightly splash proof rather than waterproof. If you want a live feed to an external monitor you would be looking at the top end of he broadcast spectru
    For a model that can do it wirelessly as nobody makes housings with cables coming out. As for low light. Trial and error, but look for something witha fast lens and try it inflow light to see of the gain grain is too objectionable. Water is going to shorten bow far you
    See dramatically even when it is clean with bright light penetration so I would be prepared to do a lot of testing before you get a good solution.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that ill be doing alot more research on this. I have found some simple underwater viewing items, however figuring out what specs mean what is going to be the key to my success.

Cheers
    Joe

Thread Information