Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

adobe premiere pro

i just put in pyro basic card and firewire today and used adobe premiere pro to capture the video from the tape on the cam.

1.6MHZ
    512RAM (not ddr ram)

when i captured the video, at times it would drop frames and when playing it back, the video was sluggish and jittery. also during capture, it would jitter and jump a bit.

during the capture i did not have anything else running except for nortons anti-virus and even that i turned off real time monitoring.

i would think that my system could process this capture pretty easy.

any suggestions to try and smooth things out ???

Re: adobe premiere pro

Quote Originally Posted by marchvet
    i just put in pyro basic card and firewire today and used adobe premiere pro to capture the video from the tape on the cam.

1.6MHZ
    512RAM (not ddr ram)

when i captured the video, at times it would drop frames and when playing it back, the video was sluggish and jittery. also during capture, it would jitter and jump a bit.

during the capture i did not have anything else running except for nortons anti-virus and even that i turned off real time monitoring.

i would think that my system could process this capture pretty easy.

any suggestions to try and smooth things out ???
    I just started learning Premier, but haven't tried capturing video yet. I've just been using stock footage and other web sources (quicktime, windows media, etc.).

My system is pretty much the same config -- except 1GB DDR (gotta game, don't I? ;) )

You might be a pro and this doesn't apply to you... but I've found that rendering the workspace cleans up the video qualtiy. Could be you imported fine, but you need to render it which is easier for the computer to understand. I think the hotkey to render is [ENTER].

I have a tuner card with a coaxial input and plan on capturing video that way. Probably not the best (or highest tech) way to do it. But I'm hoping it will get the job done.

- MikeG

Quote Originally Posted by mike009
    I just started learning Premier, but haven't tried capturing video yet. I've just been using stock footage and other web sources (quicktime, windows media, etc.).

My system is pretty much the same config -- except 1GB DDR (gotta game, don't I? ;) )

You might be a pro and this doesn't apply to you... but I've found that rendering the workspace cleans up the video qualtiy. Could be you imported fine, but you need to render it which is easier for the computer to understand. I think the hotkey to render is [ENTER].

I have a tuner card with a coaxial input and plan on capturing video that way. Probably not the best (or highest tech) way to do it. But I'm hoping it will get the job done.

- MikeG
    Thanks for the reply Mike, nah im no pro at all !!! Just got Premiere like two days ago so im fresh out the box!!

The way I *thought* you captured video from your tape on the cam, was start the recording on the capture screen and let it run its course and it would save like it did the first time I tried it.

It may have been that there was something in memory that I hadnt ended properly or whatever, I am going to try and do it again from a fresh start up with nothing in memory and see how that goes.

If all else fails, I may have to go and buy 1gig DDR, because its a lot faster and its highly doubtful that I would have problems with 1gig memory!

It has to do with what settings you have setup in your project to do the capturing as well. You need to read the help file a bit to get a good understanding of it. The frames per second capturing. It also has a lot to do with the quality of the capture card as well.

I posted in another thread that it isn't as simple as it seems, especially using Premiere.

The fastest machine in the world will drop frames unless the hard drives are up to the task. Fast SATA, SCSI or ATA RAID is the way to go, you will need a dedicated fast hard drive or frames will drop and video will be jittery.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Actually Sebastian, that isn't quite true. I have neither SATA, SCSI or ATA RAID drives in my machine which is now about 3 years old technology wise and don't drop frames or jittery at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    It has to do with what settings you have setup in your project to do the capturing as well. You need to read the help file a bit to get a good understanding of it. The frames per second capturing. It also has a lot to do with the quality of the capture card as well.

I posted in another thread that it isn't as simple as it seems, especially using Premiere.
    thank you for the information, i am using a pyro basicDV 1394firewire card, which from reading a lot of threads on this forum and other forums, seems like a good choice and would do good for my hobbyist videos.

i really need to get into adobe premiere and mess with it some more, because im sure the standard settings on the capture when you install arent the greatest.

does anyone have like a general rule of thumb when capturing on how to set the options etc....??

st_

droped frames? = damaged tape to my experience. does it happen all the time or just with one tape? there are heaps more reasons i just though i would start here.

Quote Originally Posted by st_
    droped frames? = damaged tape to my experience. does it happen all the time or just with one tape? there are heaps more reasons i just though i would start here.
    i have long since fixed this problem. had nothing to do with a damaged tape as the camera was(is) brand new and the tapes were new as well.

this had to do with my harddrive at the time not being able to write as fast as it was capturing and i also had to upgrade my ram.

so with that said, i upped my ram to 1 gig ddr (was using sdram before) and changed over to two new 160 maxtor 7200 drives (had a 80 gig 5400 before)..

now things are running fine, no dropped frames etc.

Thread Information