Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

sony handycam - video capture with adobe

I am using the sony handycam TRV350 and have adobe premiere pro 1.5. I am trying to use the feature with adobe that will allow you to capture the video from your device, however when I put the cam on the USB and it connects to the computer, adobe doesnt recognize it.

Does this mean I have to go out and buy a DV wire to make this happen? Also, does the DV wire hook into your existing USB ports?

Im sorry for the newbie questions, but this is my first time attempting this and with just starting to learn the premiere software and the cameras functions, it can be a bit overwhelming!!

If I have to save my video from tape to my computer first and then bring it over to adobe premiere, i guess that would not be a problem. But if I can do the capture, I would think that would be faster?

Thanks for the input and any great suggestion you can offer.

CB

Re: sony handycam - video capture with adobe

What Operating system are you using.

Have you tried connecting the the camera to the computer turning the camera on and then starting the computer, sometimes computers need to have the device turned on to actually see it.

Also you might find your assumption to be correct in regards to the DV connecting to firewire to do the capturing. I have Premiere but not the PRO 1.5 version as that needs Windows XP, I run 2000 still. But I do have a capture card in my machine for this purpose anyway.

Normally you have to capture the video to the computer, not move a file to the computer which you basically can't from the tape, so that answers that in itself. When you capture the video, it creates a file from that and then you load it into Premiere (and getting the project settings correct in that is interesting), work on the film with what ever you want to do, render it and then export it to the format you want for DVD, Internet etc. I seems simple, but it really is quite a process to get right.

I am on WinXP, SP2.

So at this point I would need to pony up the money to get the firewire so I can capture the video from the tape.... You would think they would supply that wire with it as well !!

I can get the pictures or video off of the USB/card easy, but since I didnt have a connection to the DV, it wont do anything at all.

I know im new to this, so please bare with me.. but I just read that I will also need a good firewire card *sigh*.. Anyone know of a good CHEAP card that will work with the sony handycam trv350 ntsc?????

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    What Operating system are you using.

Have you tried connecting the the camera to the computer turning the camera on and then starting the computer, sometimes computers need to have the device turned on to actually see it.

Also you might find your assumption to be correct in regards to the DV connecting to firewire to do the capturing. I have Premiere but not the PRO 1.5 version as that needs Windows XP, I run 2000 still. But I do have a capture card in my machine for this purpose anyway.

Normally you have to capture the video to the computer, not move a file to the computer which you basically can't from the tape, so that answers that in itself. When you capture the video, it creates a file from that and then you load it into Premiere (and getting the project settings correct in that is interesting), work on the film with what ever you want to do, render it and then export it to the format you want for DVD, Internet etc. I seems simple, but it really is quite a process to get right.
    Last edited by marchvet; 11-22-2004 at 08:38 AM.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Look for the ADS Pyro basic, also know as the API-310. It is usually under $50 and has a cable with it to hook up your camera. I am using 8 of them in my classroom and have no problems.

MJS

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Look for the ADS Pyro basic, also know as the API-310. It is usually under $50 and has a cable with it to hook up your camera. I am using 8 of them in my classroom and have no problems.

MJS

thank you.. yeah i ended up getting the ads basic package, it should be here today!! im excited..

its amazing because the only thing i did with photography was some stuff in high school and now jump forward (way to many years!!) and all this digital cameras, software and all kinds of goodies...

its almost like its christmas !!!

hehee...

Thread Information