Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

wide angle lense for a DSLR?

What are some good wide angle lenses for the Canon DSLR?

I have no idea real what they should cost but I went into a ritz camera store to ask about wide angle lenses. They told it would cost atleast $500 for just a basic wide angle lense.

I can't remember what brand it was or the dimensions.

I found one lense on ebay for $50 is it worth it?

titanium wide angle lense
    Just a Realtor shooting to get ahead ;)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: wide angle lense for a DSLR?

I'm pretty happy with the field of view I get from my 18-55mm kit lens that came with my DRebel, but there are always going to be times when you want to go wider. One thing to remember when buying a lens for a DSLR is the 1.6x crop factor caused by the censor. If you're new to digital this may all be new to you so to sum it up, my 18-55mm lens is equal to a 29-88mm lens on a 35mm film camera. With that in mind, I would try to stick with something in the 14-24mm range if you're looking for a prime lens (no zoom). I would stick with a brand that has a good reputation for quality and sharpness. I like to stay away from Ritz cause I have alway found them to be over priced. I went to B&H and did a search and sorted superwide angle lenses for Canon by price and they start at $369. My advice to you would be to take your time and do some research. Take your DSLR to a camera store and try out some wide agle lenses and fine the length that you like. Once you get that down, check out B&H, or whoever you want and see what is available in that size and in your price range. Be sure to check out the reviews on this site to see what other photographers have said about the lens and decide what you want. It might take a little time to figure it all out, but it will be worth it. Hope this helps. Oh, and if you decide to go with something from B&H, link to them from this site. It will help keep the site up and running, and it doesn't cost you anything.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gatorwire

This eBay "lens" is a cheap screw-on WA adapter. It's not what you really want. A real WA lens will, indeed, be hundreds of dollars
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

If you want a decent w/a lens have you looked at the sigma 18-125?

I use one on my 20D and although it works out to be a 28mm in 35 terms, I find it adequate for a whole raft of subjects, saves carting around loads of lenses. And if you have a digicam that can, if you want wider pictures why not do a panorama?

You might consider the Peleng 8mm or the Zenitar 16mm

These are manual lenses but are very cheap - the Peleng is made in Belarus and the Zenitar in Russia.

I have a review of the Peleng on my home page (www.jarnell.com)

I also just got a Zenitar and will be doing a similar set of tests with this.

As you might guess, I'm a fan of exotic lenses!
    <hr>
    My pages are at www.jarnell.com

Liz

Some suggestions

First let me say that I have the Canon 17-40mm/f4L which is my favorite lens. It's wide with a nice zoom and "L" glass. It's awesome. It's a bit expensive, but one of the least expensive of Canon's "L" lense. Check out the specs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=279582&is=USA

Here is the Canon 20mm/f2.8 which isn't quite as wide, but an excellent lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=12082&is=USA

Other wide - both prime and zooms can be found on the B&H website in the same areas, just click at the top which ones you want to view.

Then you can check out the reviews here.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by gatorwire
    What are some good wide angle lenses for the Canon DSLR?

I have no idea real what they should cost but I went into a ritz camera store to ask about wide angle lenses. They told it would cost atleast $500 for just a basic wide angle lense.

I can't remember what brand it was or the dimensions.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Some suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Here is the Canon 20mm/f2.8 which isn't quite as wide, but an excellent lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=12082&is=USA
    Beware! Although the Canon 20mm lens is excellent on film cameras, it has proven to be a real dog on my DigiRebel. I have no idea why. The sample photos I posted might still be in the archives. Extremely disappointing.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Some suggestions

Since you have the 18-55, I assume you want something wider.
    I'd suggest the Canon EF-S 10-22 except for the cost, it wasn't cheap !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

im using a D100 w/ a Sigma f/3.5 14mm aspherical lens, for about $550CAN last yr, it's a pretty gd lens, and i think there's a canon mount version of it, there's a newer model of this lens which is f/2.8 for about same price now, or even around $500 for 2nd hand.

Thread Information