Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need help..looking for a wide angle lens for my Canon Rebel G

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to photography and this summer we are going to have a family reunion and they wanted me to take the pictures but I was wondering about wide angle lens.

The one I was looking at has a Angle of View: 75 - 34 Degrees, so what exactly does that mean? Our group pictures there are usually anywheres from 15-50 people and I could take the picture but it was far away so that I could get everyone in the picture.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Sounds like a zoom

75 - 34 is the diagonal angle of view on the lens. 75 degrees of view at its widest and 34 at its max zoom.

This should be good enough for most group shots. For 50 people you will probably have to be outside somewhere so you can move pretty far back.

Enjoy the picnic.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

How Much Money?

How much do you have to spend? That's usually the best place to start. Also, what lens are you using now? I'm thinking a 24 or 28mm prime (non-zoom) lens would be best. When you get wider than 28mm you start to get a lot of distortion on the edges. That makes the people on the ends look weird. 28mm is what I'd call a "normal" wide angle. Things don't get too funky at 28mm. Plus, 28mm lenses usually don't cost too much.

Idea - get your family to buy you a new lens in return for taking the picture. A new lens will help you take a better picture. That makes it a good investment for the family. See if you can get people to contribute.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to spend around $200-$300 on a lens. I'm using my income tax return, part of it, to buy one. I was looking at a 28 mm and a 28-70 mm. The lens I'm using now is a 75-210 mm, and I have to be so far away to get the whole group in. I bought it last yr with the income tax return money as I like doing action shots of my horses in the pasture and at rodeo and horse shows.
    I'm learning so much on this board...sometimes I feel so dense about a few things though.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by paintsrule
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to spend around $200-$300 on a lens. I'm using my income tax return, part of it, to buy one. I was looking at a 28 mm and a 28-70 mm. The lens I'm using now is a 75-210 mm, and I have to be so far away to get the whole group in. I bought it last yr with the income tax return money as I like doing action shots of my horses in the pasture and at rodeo and horse shows.
    I'm learning so much on this board...sometimes I feel so dense about a few things though.
    You can get the Canon 28mm f/2.8 for about $170.00, and right now there is a $10.00 rebate. Good luck!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Hey thanks for the info..I might have to look into it!

Review Page

Here's a link to the Canon 28mm review page. There are 25 reviews and links to 2 good dealers:

http://www.photographyreview.com/35m...4_3111crx.aspx
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information