Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What lens should i get for 20D?

I bought a Canon EOS 20D recently and i am thinking of getting a lens besides the kit lens...
    I am considering:
    1. Canon EF 55-200mm USM
    2. Canon EF 70-300mm III USM...

I am also interested in other brand too...need some advice..

-I am wondering which one would serve me better if i am only bringing one lens for my thanksgiving trip?

thanks

Ghost

Re: What lens should i get for 20D?

70-300. It's a good lens with good reach and decent performance. IS is a good option to have for it but there is a cheaper non IS version as well.

I don't have any experience with the other lens.

thanks for the reply. This is the first digital, or even SLR, camera I got. (used to use my father's old Nikon F70)

What is IS anyway? Is IS the white canon lens? those are expensive(way over my budet for now)..what's so special about it anyway?

Please correct me if i am wrong, so the 70-300 actually have ALOT more reach than the 55-200? In this case, what is the purpose of using a 55-200? for a better closer shot? what about the 70-300? is it decent when shooting a closer object? (serve well on a trip like going to disnyland?)

thanks so much once again

I like the 70-300 more but

i was told somewhere that i should get the 55-200 lens because of my kit lens is 18-55.
    "18-55 + 70-300 lost 55-70 range.
    If that range is meaningless to U, buy 70-300 surely"

i just dont understand this..can anyone pls clarify?

Well, you lose the 55-75 mm. Big deal; you won't likely miss it. Make no mistake, if you switch to the longer lens (from the kit), you will be shooting in the 150-300 mm range and probably wishing it was longer. If you are shooting generally, the 18-55 will do pretty well. I would think these lenses would cover you until you upgrade your kit lens (to 17-85 mm IS or 17-40 L or 24-70 L...ha, more money.)

You slipped in a little question about "what is IS anyway"

IS is Canons method of stabilizing lens/camera shake. Nikon has their version, I just can't recall how they identify it.

Basically the lens has mechanisms built in to the body that sense and neutralize SLIGHT camera movement. (somewhat like a gyroscope).
    IS is an option on certain lenses only.

If you are shooting action shots or have a long telezoom lens, IS can help quite a bit.

I shoot with the Canon 28/135 IS USM and the Canon 100/400L IS USM

Much of my shooting is for horse shows/car races/wildlife.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ivierre
    I bought a Canon EOS 20D recently and i am thinking of getting a lens besides the kit lens...
    I am considering:
    1. Canon EF 55-200mm USM
    2. Canon EF 70-300mm III USM...

I am also interested in other brand too...need some advice..

-I am wondering which one would serve me better if i am only bringing one lens for my thanksgiving trip?

thanks
    I have the 70-300 and it has served me well. However, what makes it truly useful is the IS option. It is not the best lens Canon produces but certainly very good quality and the right size and weight. Almost all of the photos here (http://www.barchoc.com/AntarcticaPhotoMain.htm) were taken using the 70-300 IS.

You might also consider the Canon 28-135 IS. Although out side the range you specified, it is considered by many to be the best quality consumer zoom Canon produces. This is the lens I use almost all the time on my digital Rebel.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Here's a different thought. I have the Canon 20D (and love it), upgraded from the digital Rebel. The two lenses I have are the Canon 28-135mm and Tamron 17-35mm. That gives me the range from 17 to 135. Very pleased with them.

I have been looking at the 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM IS. I need something to pull in pictures at a distance. I have been very happy with my recent purchase of a 28-135 USM IS lens from Canon.

I have the 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS lens and think it is the worst lens I have ever purchased especially in low light situations. Even in bright sunlite days it can have problems focusing on things correctly. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Now the 28-135 IS lens is a very good lens and is the most used lens I have in my bag.

Thread Information