Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Wildlife Photography

I'm a zoology grad student in far-off (for yanks and poms, anyway!) New Zealand - meaning I am lucky enough to get to go to all sorts of awesome places and see some amazing animals - or get rained and snowed on, more likely.
    To the gist of it!
    I have had some success taking photos with my Panasonic Lumix FZ-1. Love the 12x optical zoom, hate the two megapixels and complete lack of any kind of manual control - autofocus on those things is useless when you have a saddleback hopping around your head or a parakeet whizzing past!
    Now I am looking to upgrade to a D-SLR, with the plan being to take lots of (hopefully) beautiful pictures of animals and scenery...and ideally build up to some more "artsy" photography and people shots.
    Was quite keen on a Nikon D70, but have since talked to some people (including the director of a Natural History Film Making course!) who have suggested the Canon 300D...the plus of the 300D being a wider range of cheaper lenses with image stabilisation (A definite must-have, the rainforests here are too dense to lug around a tripod sometimes...being 6'3 can be enough of a challenge!). Also the 300D is a bit cheaper, which would let me get a few more lenses...
    I was wondering what the consensus would be on which camera to get? Most of the forums here seem to be about sports, people or still life...
    Obviously as a student I am VERY budget constrained, would be looking at maybe around NZ$2000 (maybe about...US$1400?).
    Also which lenses would be good? I am thinking I would need a long-range lens (like a 300mm), a good mid-range one (like the 28-70mm that comes with the D70 kit)...and ideally some kind of macro would be awesome, a lot of my work is with little 1 inch tree frogs!

Sorry for the novel-like length of this post...
    A crazy herpetologist from the bottom of the world (Otago, NZ)

Re: Wildlife Photography

Never talked to a green rat before. First of all I am very envious of your locale !! I already resent you !!

Having said that - on to business. Jack, I have had the Canon Digital Rebel (here its the 300D). Just recently upgraded to the 20D due to special requirement for my business.

I put on a little over 6000 shots in 7 months. I used it in the muggy Michigan summers and the Cold (0°F) winters. I shoot wildlife/car races/horse shows and a few landscapes. The camera has performed flawlessly. Most of my horse and race car shots are with the Canon 28/135 IS USM. A greatly underappreciated lens, by the way.

My "long" shots are with the Canon 100/400L IS USM.

My wife has stolen it from me and equipped it with a Tokina 24/200 AFX. Tack sharp and fast focus. She has put another 2000 shots on it in the last two months.

I use the battery grip (on a long shoot the convenience of not fumbling around for the 'spare')

you might go to my site www.jpferguson.com

or my galleries at www.pbase.com/jpferguson

It is a camera that will "grow" with you.

regards - Jon F.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Decided to go for the Nikon D70 with the kit lens (18-70mm).
    Helped that the camera store operator threw in a 512MB card to "sweeten the pot" (worth a cool $300 here, or two weeks pay!).
    Going to save up and get the Sigma 70-300mm macro lens, but will probably buy that online (US$200 as opposed to some NZ$800 here!).
    A crazy herpetologist from the bottom of the world (Otago, NZ)

>Going to save up and get the Sigma 70-300mm macro lens, but will probably buy that online

Not really a good lens I guess and by no means image stabilization.

Uwe
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

Thread Information