Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Questions about 20D

Hello!

So my husband bought me a 20D for an early birthday present yesterday.

I have a few question.

I have been taking pictures with it and they see to come out really blurry no matter what ISO speed I try. I tired 100, 200, & 400. I would think all of those are hight enough to not make a pick look like this ( see attached) I have never had any of my pictures from my Sony DSC V3 look like this. Can you tell me how to fix this?

Also how do you tell the camera to add the EXIF Info? I noticed there is none on my pictures anymore.

Thanks
    Candice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions about 20D-april29th2005-11med.jpg  

Re: Questions about 20D

No one can help me?

Thanks

Hi again Candice. Congratulations on your step up to the DSLR. You will see a step up to more creativity, with more control of the whole process. DOF will have a much larger role now, and with the increased control, the thought process before the shutter is pressed will become more important.
    In the picture you posted the problem with the blur has nothing at all to do with ISO, or I should say, the problem has very little to do with it. ISO is the sensitivity of the sensor, the higher the ISO the more sensitive to light the sensor becomes. The penalty for the increased sensitivity is the addition of noise, the higher the ISO the higher the noise will be. Your problem with the photo you posted is motion blur. The parrot is moving, your shutter speed is too slow, result: blury picture. If you look, only the head and neck are blurry, the feathers on his wing are pretty sharp, the background is blurry due to the DOF being pretty small(large aperture). 1/250 is pretty much the slowest shutter speed that will stop motion. ISO will help you increase your shutter speed, but you have to increase your shutter speed. If the camera is satisfied with it's shutter speed, it's not going to up it, it doesn't know what subject you are shooting...you do.
    I can't seem to get the exif from you photo either, but when you resize for the web the exif is sometimes stripped. I am pretty sure there is no setting in camera that will strip the exif data, it's a matter of your browser set up.
    I know it's daunting, but get away from that green square, I am not sure that's where you're shooting, but it's a good guess. At least shoot in P mode so you have more control of DOF and you can decide what you want as opposed to letting the camera decide for you. The automatic mode has no idea you are shooting a moving subject in low light, you know that, the camera doesn't.
    Again, get a book about basic photography Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good book.
    Last edited by EOSThree; 04-30-2005 at 11:14 AM.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thank you for your reply I thought it was shutter speed too but when I looked it up in the manual it says you can only change it in TV MODE is this true?
    I read most of the maual so far, but don't understand how to get the flash to fire except in auto it just goes by it's self. In TV & M Mode my pictures are all black in a dark room I need the flash to fire how do I do that since TV is the only mode apparently that will let me use this shutter speed?

About the exif info again, There is absoubly NONE in the original photo at all. There isn't even the option to view any. What am I doing wrong? I would like to have this on my photos.

Thanks
    Candice

I had the flash pop up in auto mode and then it worked in TV mode, it that the way you have to do it?

There should be a flash release button forward of the mode dial, just above the lens release. Just press that and the flash will pop up in Tv, Av, P, and M modes...

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Quote Originally Posted by Candice
    Thank you for your reply I thought it was shutter speed too but when I looked it up in the manual it says you can only change it in TV MODE is this true?
    I read most of the maual so far, but don't understand how to get the flash to fire except in auto it just goes by it's self. In TV & M Mode my pictures are all black in a dark room I need the flash to fire how do I do that since TV is the only mode apparently that will let me use this shutter speed?

About the exif info again, There is absoubly NONE in the original photo at all. There isn't even the option to view any. What am I doing wrong? I would like to have this on my photos.

Thanks
    Candice
    You can change your shutter speed in 4 modes. Directly in TV mode and M mode, and indirectly in AV and P mode. To achieve proper exposure you must have a certain amount of light at a certain amount of time. If you change your shutter speed in TV mode, your aperture will change to maintain proper exposure until you can't open or close your aperture any more. In M mode you have full control of aperture and shutter, this is the mode I use when shooting with flash, I set it the way I want the picture no matter what the meter says and let the flash correct the exposure. In AV mode you open or close the aperture and that will effect your shutter speed to achieve correct exposure until you run out of time on either end. In P mode you can shift your exposure, if the camera picks 1/60 at f/8 you can shift the exposure to a faster shutter speed/larger aperture or slower shutter speed/smaller aperture, again until you reach the limits of the body or lens you are using.
    You activate the flash by a little button labeled with a lightening bolt.
    As far as the exif is concerned, it should be a function of your viewer, the data should be there. What browser are you using?
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thank you so much for answering me. I am having a little difficulty understanding what you wrote but what is new I read books then forget what I read. I will read what you wrote again later with books in hand!

As for the program I am trying to view the exif in , IrfranView.

But I am using PSP to upload the pictures from the camera, I would like to use PS or PSE but I have a question in the other forum about it. Do you think that is why it is not showing the exif, because I am using PSP? I did not have this problems with my Sony's. They all had the exif and I used PSP to upload.

I tried to use the software that came with the camera but when I searched for the camera drive I could not find it. Do you know why? I had A, C, D, F. But my G drive was not showing connected(that is the USB port).

Candice

I am by no means an expert, but maybe I can explain the basics in an easy manner. The camera’s meter is designed to meter for what it thinks is correct exposure, this is true for all three metering modes.

P- the camera sets both aperture and shutter speed to achieve proper exposure.
    -The P exposure can be shifted, the camera will still choose both parameters but you may want:
    -Shorter shutter/larger aperture for small DOF and stopping action.
    -Longer shutter/smaller aperture for large DOF for a landscape.
    AV- you set the aperture, the camera sets the shutter speed to achieve proper exposure.
    -Useful for controlling DOF
    TV-you set the shutter speed, the camera sets the aperture to achieve proper exposure.
    -Useful for stopping action(or blurring action)
    M-you set both the shutter speed and the aperture, the meter will show +/-/0 depending on if it thinks it’s over/under/right on.
    -Full control, the camera is just making suggestions, you make the decisions.
    -Useful when using flash with TTL metering.

If you set up an exposure and don’t agree with what the camera decides you can add + or – exposure compensation up to 2 full stops in either direction.
    P- camera maintains the aperture it sets and varies the shutter speed to achieve compensation.
    AV- camera maintains the aperture you set and varies the shutter speed to achieve compensation.
    TV- camera maintains the shutter speed you set and varies the aperture to achieve compensation.
    M - no exposure compensation, you have full control.
    Once you set in exposure compensation all of the shutter and aperture changes will be changed from the compensated value. To get back to the camera’s exposure setting, you have to dial out the exposure compensation.

As far as not being able to find your camera, Canon uses a special driver for the cameras and it doesn't always play well with other programs. Try using the Canon program to download your pictures, or better yet, get a card reader and use any program to download your pictures. I haven't ever used the USB/Camera connection to download my pictures with all three Canon digitals I have owned, I have always used a reader.

EOSThree is doing an awesome job answering your questions so I don't know if I can be of any help. I have the 20D as well. I think I've heard of some problems with pulling the files down other programs since the camera is still fairly new. I use BreezeBrowser which is a pretty cheap program designed for mainly Canon. I can get the exif data. I would use the software (not just the driver, use the ZoomBrowser or Zoom Viewer or ) that came packaged with camera. Especially if you are shooting RAW. Maybe in a few months you can use your normal method but I have heard of some issues especially with the CR2 (a new RAW format). I know that I couldn't use the ZoomBrowser that came with my G2 on the 20D files.

As to your original problem(s), I agree with E3 on the shutterspeed for the pic you posted.
    What results do you get when you shoot a still object? You should not be having blur in those.

Also, If this is your first SLR (sounds like it is), you may be more comfortable with the more automatic modes first. Although you may have a few problems with the camera setting things for you that aren't optimal it may be better to lose a few for that than many if you aren't comfortable yet with more manual control. Get familiar with the bottom of your viewfinder since it will tell you what settings the camera is using. You'll get a feel for what works and what doesnt'. A book on basic camera operation suggestion by E3 sounds like a great idea if you want to understand what the camera controls do.

Good luck - and enjoy. I'm ready to marry my 20D...

2k2s

Thank you both for answering me. All help is very much appreciated!!

I tired the Canon program and it doesn't have a save option. Or does it and I can not find? I looked everywhere

I'm sure the Canon program does have a same option. If you've downloaded the files then they should be already on your computer so you don't need to explicitly save them. Which program are you using - and did you see the exif data?

The ESO Viewer Uility. Yes I can see the info when I right click on the picture and select info. But it will not let me save. I also tried the other program that is used for editing RAW files, Digital Photo Professional, and that one did not have the option to save either. I want to be able to save my pictures with this data. Right now I am uploading using PSP and I have no info This is all very fustrating.

Oh and they are not dl to my computer they are just opening directly from the camera. I turn on the camera and then open the program and there is a little camera icon at the top of all the the computer stuff.

Well I found a manual for the program and looked up saving images. It showed me how. But when I uploaded from the camera and then did it. The option was disabled, grayed out!
    Now here is a screen shot of what PSE tells me when I try to upload pictures to it. This is even after I tried to install & reinstall again with this new disk they gave me. I already had it on my computer from my wacom tablet.
    And PS just tells me that the files do not exist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions about 20D-image1.jpg  

I've never tried EOS Viewer, but the problem might be that you need to download files first to your computer before saving. I'll look when I get home. If you like, you can PM me. Let's get you working with the EOS Viewer first since I know nothing about the other program. Did that come with the 20D?

Is THIS a good card reader? Would it fix the problem so that I can use PS & PSE?

Candice - don't change anything yet. If we add one more thing to the mix my simple head is going to explode! It sounds like you're using several programs and I can't figure out what you're using for what. I have an idea of what going on but I'm not sure.

So let's start at the beginning with EOS Viewer so I can follow along.

1) take pictures - use automatic mode and jpg files for now.
    2) hook camera up to computer and turn camera on
    3) select EOS viewer if it doesn't come up automatically. Hopefully your screen look something like page W-15 of the software manual that came with the 20D. Your exif data should be visible here.
    4) download images to your computer (pW18-W19 of manual)
    5) select image from the folder on your computer (NOT in your camera)
    6) save image (p W-41).

Go thru this and tell me if any steps don't get the expected results, stop and tell me exactly what you see. Just a note - if you don't get to steps 2 thru 4 fast enough your camera may fall asleep and you'll lose the connection. If you do just press the shutter halfway to wake the camera back up.

I think you are getting caught in Semantics

When you download a picture from your camera using File Viewer it is "saved". When you download a picture you copy that file to your computer. You don't have to "save" it again until you change something in the file. When changing something, though, always change it on a copy of the original. I used to use the older Canon software Zoom(doom)Browser, and switched to Breeze Browser because it's easier to use for browsing IMO, a lot of people like it and there are those that don't. BB can convert your RAW files, be linked to your favorite editing program and has a superior browser. Irfanview and Picasa are free programs that work well as browsers too.
    Your CF card is nothing more than another "hard drive" to your computer, your camera becomes a fancy card reader when you connect it to your computer. You can transfer files from this hard drive the same way you would from a CD or Floppy. When you transfer a file from a Floppy disc you don't need to "save" it, it is already there, you just transfered it, the same goes for a picture from your CF card.

Re: I think you are getting caught in Semantics

EOSThree, you're right of course as far as downloading is saving a copy to your harddrive so step 6 is redundant. I suspect Candice was trying to hit save while selecting a file on her camera (before downloading). The EOS Viewer won't let her do that. I just wanted to show her that save will work but only after the file is on her computer. I should have been more clear - thanks!

Sorry I didn't get back to you all.

I didn't understand what you all were talking about so I just bought a card reading and it working just fine! Actually it works great!

Thanks for your help with this problem!

I still need a lot of help with the camera it's self though I do thing exactly like it tells me in the book but I cant get the setting to change. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I wanted go into the camera shop last Thursday to have the guy that sold it to me walk me through a few things in person with me but I just didn't have the time. Hopefully I will have some time next week.

Candice

Oh I forgot to attach a picture I took the other day in TV mode w/ the flash. It has the Exif info on it.

I also forgot to ask Where is the flash pop up button? I could not find it in the book. I keep having to go to AUTO to get the flash to pop up then go back to TV.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions about 20D-may5th2005-23med.jpg  

The flash button

The button that activates the flash is on the left side of the body in front of the EOS 20D logo.
    I believe this will only activate the flash in the creative modes, AV TV M and P.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Magic Lantern

The Magic Lantern series of books are expanded guides for many cameras out there. They explain a lot of the basics of specific camera operation. It may be just the thing for you. A lot of people describe them as a rehash of the owners manual though. You have to decide if they can help you.
    What specifically are you having trouble with? I don't own a 20D but all Canon cameras work in the same basic manner, so I think I might be able to help. The whole thing has to come together as a unit, you have to learn the basics of photography, how those basics translate to the final photograph, how those basics are controlled by your camera, and how you manipulate the controls of your camera to make all of the above into a photograph. The basics of photography(aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focal length, etc.) apply to all cameras, all cameras utilize these basics, but all cameras don't work in exactly the same fashion, that is where you have to learn how your camera works and change it's settings to acheive your vision.
    The photo of the parrot you just posted is a lot better already. I can be improved though. The flash works differently depending on what mode you are in. http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-f...l#programflash
    This is a really long article, but this section explains how the flash works in each mode. I usually use M mode when using the flash, that way I can control the shutter speed,and the aperture to get the motion stopped and have the DOF I am looking for, the flash using the TTL metering will provide the proper light up to it's capability.

Thank you so much for showing me where the flash button is! I used it the other day and it worked great!!

And about that book.. it has actually been on my wish list since before I got the camera and I had been wanting it. So maybe soon I can get it.

Thanks for all your help!!

Candice

Thread Information