Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Overall Major Differences Between Canon and Nikon

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this subject has already been covered.

Although I have been involved in photography for nearly 5 years now. No one has really ever detailed the major differences between canon and Nikon. And although, I currently shoot with an Canon Elan7.... I only got the camera b/c a friend suggested it to me. Now with my old P&S digital not doing the job I want (lacking the control i have with my Elan7). I'm again looking at the major differences Between Canon and Nikon SLRs and dSLRs..... Hopefully the differences will help me make decision between the keeping the Elan 7 or getting the Nikon N80 and also choosing between the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70.

Basically if I Go for the D70, I will sell my Elan7 for an N80... to be consistent with my lenses.

This is what i know/heard so far:

Canon:
    Faster Lenses
    More Photojournalists use it b/c of speed
    Generally Used for more action, sports

Nikon:
    Better Lenses
    (smaller lens selection? really doubt that)
    (difficulty with lenses? doubt that too)
    Better Metering System (Matrix)
    Generally Used for more Scenary and People

Asking the question about Nikon or Canon is just like asking:

"Is it faster to New York, or by boat?"
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoy53169
    This is what i know/heard so far:

Canon:
    Faster Lenses
    More Photojournalists use it b/c of speed
    Generally Used for more action, sports

Nikon:
    Better Lenses
    (smaller lens selection? really doubt that)
    (difficulty with lenses? doubt that too)
    Better Metering System (Matrix)
    Generally Used for more Scenary and People
    All wrong. There is little, if any, discernable difference between Nikon and Canon. Cameras are not better or worse than others for subject matter such as portraits, landscapes, etc. The lens quality for major brands are about as equal as you can get.

Photographers take photographs. Choose the camera you like best leaving behind this type of brand "comparisons."
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

If you already have an Elan 7, then it basically is probably a good idea to go with a 10D, you will have exactly the same feel of the camera, already have lenses that are compatible and you are familiar with.

I have the Elan 7/EOS30 here and purchased the 10D, haven't been happier, feels like the EOS30 and lenses fit straight on no problems.

Just my thoughts. The big thing is you need to think differently with Digital SLR cameras because of the magnification, with the 10D that is x1.6 so a 28mm lens becomes a 44.8mm which is close to a 50mm lens. The 50mm becomes 80 which I have had difficulties comming to terms with focal wise, although that is starting to not be such an issue now I have gotten use to it.

Hope this helps with the decision. The thing I would recommend is spend some time with the choices before purchasing them. That is the major mistake most people make, going on the recommendations of others without first using the equipment.

Just like Peter said, go with the 10D if you already have an Elan7 and have a good amount of money invested in Canon glass. Also, if you are used to all the control you have with the Elan7, I would definitely go with the 10D over the Rebel, as the Rebel might frustrate you in certain situations (though the image quality is top notch).
    If you do decide to go the Nikon route, I own a D70, and highly recommend it. It's an amazing camera.
    But like Michael said above, don't get into the brand wars. Both companies are fantastic, make great products, and both will be around for a long time, and will compete to make each other better for a long time. You can't go wrong with either.
    Go to the camera shop, try them all out, see which feels better to you, which "system" fits your personal needs better, and go with it.

I was wondering the same thing. I am going to purchase a SLRCamera for concert photography. I was considering the Canon 10D or the Nikkon...D70 or D100.

Which one do you think is the best for concert photography? I have to get the camera soon so if anybody knows of which camera is the fastest for action shots...low light etc...please let me know. I saw a few pictures from the Canon D10 and I noticed that some of them were not as sharp as the Nikon D100. Then again it might have been the lens of the camera too. Does anybody know which is the best to purchase?

Yes. Purchase a 10D. There you go.

Lol!

Aren't you the snarky one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey

Liz

Hi Spike.........

I like that word......sounds good and made me laugh.

What does it mean?

Have a nice weekend BTW!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Aren't you the snarky one?

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    snarky
    Heh. Hey Spike - you don't happen to hang out on TWoP do you?

Danielle

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    snark = snide + remark. (sarcastic)

Usually used when referring to making fun of something, but in a funny way. One of the most popular sites that uses the term is www.televisionwithoutpity.com, which is dedicated to snarking on television shows. They have a team of writers who recap episodes and inject snarky humor into them. See? It's an adjective, it's a verb....it's SuperSnark!

Danielle

before batteries ...

20 years ago when batteries powered meters but not shutters, there was a real difference betrween Nikon and Canon - the Nikon F2 was the journalists' camera, but Canon made better telephotos so sports and wildlife guys used Canon.
    Then when autofocus came in, Nikon made their old lenses compatible while Canon changed the lens mount and old lenses were useless.
    None of that applies today - both are cutting edge companies - buy which feels good.

One thing does remain - if I do without autofocus and autoexposure, my 20-yr old lenses still work on a new Nikon.

TWoP

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    Heh. Hey Spike - you don't happen to hang out on TWoP do you?

Danielle
    Nope, never heard of it. I never heard the word snarky before I moved to Canada about 5 years ago. I assumed it was probably a regional thing.

Spike

dSLR Hiker

300D vs. 10D

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    One caveat: The 10D weighs about 3/4 lb more than the 300D and is more bulky. True, the 10D has more features, but I hike with my 300D (e.g., 1000 meter hike in Northern Greece last Tues). And I've not missed the added features of the 10D.

Phil

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Well Paul,

Your comments are ALL true, but....

Canon has BETTER image stabilizing technology, the 300F2.8IS/400F2.8IS/ 500F4IS/ 600F4IS .CHEAPER telephoto primes, warmer colors from L glass(not a factor in DSLR's) .We can all use sunny16 and manual focus or buy an A1/F1 canon CHEAPLY for our 800f5.6L

The REAL answer to the question(in the digital age) is LENS technology at a cheaper price IMHO
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Phil W7OX
    One caveat: The 10D weighs about 3/4 lb more than the 300D and is more bulky. True, the 10D has more features, but I hike with my 300D (e.g., 1000 meter hike in Northern Greece last Tues). And I've not missed the added features of the 10D.

Phil

Well, for someone interested in a 10D, I assumed that the weight difference would be inconsequential. Even when I hike places like Brian Head or Angels Landing, I still carry my 10D, 3 or 4 lenses (including the 100-400), my tripod, monopod, speedlight, as well as food and water. I use a Domke vest for most of this. My friend does the same, only he's got a wimberly mounted on his tripod.

So 3/4 of a pound isn't even noticable. I'll not recommend a camera based on weight, that's for sure.

Pinoy... The bottom line is, there is NO short cuts. You have to sit down and figure out: what do you think is lacking in your Elan7? What do you think is lacking is your P&S? What kind of photography do you want to do (night, sports, nature landscape, architecture, portraits). Then, figure out which feature you need. Why do you need an DSLR in the first place. Why not a "pro-sumer" SLR like digital camera (e.g. Canon G5).
    In terms of DSLR's, you will actually have to do side by side comparison, feature for feature, and see what matches your needs the most. The main difference in the D70, Digitial Rebel, and 10D is the flash sync speed, body construction material, availability of custom functions and buffer capacity and number of frame/second when shooting a sequence of pictures. Most people, wouldn't even know what some of these mean, not only miss it.
    To help out you have this website as well as, http://www.dpreview.com/, http://www.dcresource.com/, http://www.steves-digicams.com/ .
    You are also most welcome to ask any specific questions, and I will gladly either help out, or help find the source of the info.
    Opinions I got lots, expertise none!! Hmm… except for giving opinions!!

Thread Information