Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    soaking it all in... pixelpixie's Avatar

I have done the research....but still have a question

Hey all,
    I have been a Nikon girl forever...ok well for four years since I was given my first REAL camera! And so I had the Nikon FM10 four about two years, then was given the Nikon N80 which was my wishlist camera for the longest time, I am now looking into the Nikon D70. I have two lenses for the N80 a 28-70 or 75...can't remember right now! LOL And I also have the 70-300 lens....here is my question...
    For those of you who have had your Digital SLRs for a while, and have a 28-70mm lens do you find you NEED the 18-70mm lense that comes with the camera as a kit?
    I am seeing some really great prices on the camerabody that are very near what I have saved for the camera right now...so what I am thinking is to just go ahead and get the body and then add that wider lens later if I need it.
    I find right now I seldom use my 28mm all the way wide open and so in my mind I feel I don't need the 18mm but because I don't want to "jump the gun" and don't know too much about it all I was looking here for some good words of advice, or reasons to consider getting the camera and the lens... thanks for your input, I know I have lots of questions still to ask!!!
    ~SMILES~
    Pixie

It depends on what you want to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpixie
    Hey all,
    I have been a Nikon girl forever...ok well for four years since I was given my first REAL camera! And so I had the Nikon FM10 four about two years, then was given the Nikon N80 which was my wishlist camera for the longest time, I am now looking into the Nikon D70. I have two lenses for the N80 a 28-70 or 75...can't remember right now! LOL And I also have the 70-300 lens....here is my question...
    For those of you who have had your Digital SLRs for a while, and have a 28-70mm lens do you find you NEED the 18-70mm lense that comes with the camera as a kit?
    I am seeing some really great prices on the camerabody that are very near what I have saved for the camera right now...so what I am thinking is to just go ahead and get the body and then add that wider lens later if I need it.
    I find right now I seldom use my 28mm all the way wide open and so in my mind I feel I don't need the 18mm but because I don't want to "jump the gun" and don't know too much about it all I was looking here for some good words of advice, or reasons to consider getting the camera and the lens... thanks for your input, I know I have lots of questions still to ask!!!
    I find that the "wide-angle 28mm view" (=18mm on the D70) is indispensable for landscapes and when I'm being a tourist. I've used this for years and I can't do without it.

The "almost-normal 42mm view" (=28mm on the D70) is good in crowds and for pictures of people. I used my 28-70 f2.8 yesterday for the carneval in the village and I didn't miss the 18-70.

If you have the money then I would get the D70 kit with the 18-70 now. If you add the 18-70 later then it will cost you more than in the kit. Alternatively you could wait for the D50 kit with the 18-55 which will be cheaper than the D70+18-70 in a few months.

Charles

soaking it all in... pixelpixie's Avatar

Re: I have done the research....but still have a question

Thanks Charles... I wanted some input on when and where you use yours and that hit the nail on the head! SUPER!
    I had been talking to my cousin and he too said he would reccomend the kit because of those reasons as well as he LOVES the 50mm 1.8 (with his D70 it is 75mm orso)...I am now looking into that as another of my many options. Ahhh the list that never ends!!!! LOL
    Thanks again!
    ~SMILES~
    Pixie

Re: I have done the research....but still have a question

I've been shooting with my 20-35 zoom on my DSLR, but in a lot of situations it isn't wide enough for me. It is, of course, on film but with the 1.5x crop factor it turns into a 30mm equivalent at the short end of it's range. That's not very wide for large groups of people in small spaces, or architecture. I used the 20-35mm a lot with film - sometimes for the angle of coverage (be careful to keep the camera level!) and sometimes for the dramatic perspective.

So... I'll have to get the 12-24 to cover that with my DSLR (Fuji S2). I've been saying that for the almost two years that I've had the camera but one thing or another... Had to drop almost that much today on a water heater. Such is life. Bad enough that I've shot with it and know firsthand how cool it really is!

Bottom line is that it's up to you and what you'll be doing with it. If you're not using the 28mm end of the zoom then you should be fine enough without one for awhile, that way you can save a little bit of money to start out. You will need some compact flash cards (maybe start with two 512mb). Eventually you'll probably want the 18-70 though.

PS: I want to compliment you on your post. You've done the research but still have a question... You asked a good, direct question and gave us a lot of background info which is important for us to know so we can help you. My situation is mine, yours is yours - and I can't help much without knowing what your goals are. And you did a great job here!

Thread Information