Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Getting started career-wise DSLR help

Okay, so I know there's a ton of these threads already so I apolagize but I also thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

I'm starting out with sports photography. Specifically there is an MMA show which I'll be shooting in March and I need the right equipment. So I guess I'll need a fast DSLR that also does well in low light and higher ISO settings and when the show gets closer a zoom lens.

Also, I'll be using the camera for other jobs I'll get - portrait, headshots, landscapes, event photography etc. Right now the one camera is all I can afford but this MMA show is kinda my priority.

My budget for the camera is probably going to be in the $1500-$2000 CDN range. but the closer to $1500 the better since I'll obviously have to buy other equipment down the line (the zooms lens, lights, etc)

Also, if anyone can suggest how much I should charge, that'd be great! lol.. I'll be doing the promo shots (fighters posing for posters), weighins, event itself.

Re: Getting started career-wise DSLR help

I think Sony offers the best bang for the buck right now. Particularly with the legacy minolta lens. The price is aligned to its lesser popularity though, so in a few years if sony gains in popularity, the prices will adjust to reflect that. With the lens, you'll want something fast like an f2.8 or f4, theres a konica minolta 28-75 f2.8 lens thats supposed to be fantastic and is well priced, but its very hard to find. Theres also of course the legendary beercan, the 70-210 f4, you should find that for around $250, which is an absolute bargain for quality. Fortunately, purchasing DSLR, you can't really go wrong with any of them, Nikon, Sony, Canon, Olympus, Pentax - they all offer you great quality.

Also, equipment that is good for sports will be good for every type of shooting, you may also want to look into a prime lens around 50-100mm..

Thread Information