• 12-04-2008, 02:30 AM
    imdahman
    Getting started career-wise DSLR help
    Okay, so I know there's a ton of these threads already so I apolagize but I also thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

I'm starting out with sports photography. Specifically there is an MMA show which I'll be shooting in March and I need the right equipment. So I guess I'll need a fast DSLR that also does well in low light and higher ISO settings and when the show gets closer a zoom lens.

Also, I'll be using the camera for other jobs I'll get - portrait, headshots, landscapes, event photography etc. Right now the one camera is all I can afford but this MMA show is kinda my priority.

My budget for the camera is probably going to be in the $1500-$2000 CDN range. but the closer to $1500 the better since I'll obviously have to buy other equipment down the line (the zooms lens, lights, etc)

Also, if anyone can suggest how much I should charge, that'd be great! lol.. I'll be doing the promo shots (fighters posing for posters), weighins, event itself.
  • 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
    Anbesol
    Re: Getting started career-wise DSLR help
    I think Sony offers the best bang for the buck right now. Particularly with the legacy minolta lens. The price is aligned to its lesser popularity though, so in a few years if sony gains in popularity, the prices will adjust to reflect that. With the lens, you'll want something fast like an f2.8 or f4, theres a konica minolta 28-75 f2.8 lens thats supposed to be fantastic and is well priced, but its very hard to find. Theres also of course the legendary beercan, the 70-210 f4, you should find that for around $250, which is an absolute bargain for quality. Fortunately, purchasing DSLR, you can't really go wrong with any of them, Nikon, Sony, Canon, Olympus, Pentax - they all offer you great quality.

Also, equipment that is good for sports will be good for every type of shooting, you may also want to look into a prime lens around 50-100mm..