Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Good Deal Or Not

I am looking to purchase my first D-SLR. I am brand new to photography and want a camera that I can take action shots from my kids basketball and baseball games as well as zoom in on professional baseball games. I saw that QVC is offering these deals...

Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Blk Digital SLR w/18-55mm75-300mm Lens
    QVC Price: $659.96

Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera
    QVC Price: $638.96

I want to have a camera that I can manually focus and use the auto focus, do both of these offer that and which is the better deal?

Re: Good Deal Or Not

100-300mm is where you would want to be at those baseball games, but you may want something a little faster then that supplied lens, particularly for sports (at f5.6 is barely functional). look at the 70-200 f4/L and the 70-200 f2.8L. you spend more but you make up for it in improved image quality and lens usability. The canon uses a better performing sensor and will produce superior image quality, the Nikon gets you into a system with superior flash capabilities.

Also look into Sony, the Alpha A200 or A300 are both excellent performers, and it uses the always great Minolta AF lens system. Olympus may also be somewhat easier to use for its lighter equipment and increased DOF range, may provide a more functional camera for you. No reason to let Canon and Nikon be the only possible selection, your use may be better suited for a different brand system, its also hard to go wrong with any of them. DSLR industry competition has driven some great engineering benefits to consumers, and all brands have contributed their own important innovations. Sony OEM's most of its competitors LCD's and sensors, thank Nikon for innovations in flash photography, Canon for advancing CMOS sensor technology, Olympus for pioneering a live view capable DSLR, so on and so forth.

You can manually focus the Nikon D60 by pushing the switch from "A" to "M". I don't know WHY you would want to focus manually - it's really difficult to see if the subject is in focus though I suppose there is the focus-assist green light. Usually I set the camera to only use the central focussing zone, put the subject in the center, squeeze the shutter release gently to focus then hold it while I reframe and push it all the way to take the shot. It's easy.

I imagine the Canon works the same way.

The Canon is definitely a better deal. Nikon have been hurting Canon a lot at the low end with the D40/D40x/D60. Canon had cameras with more features but they were $100+ more. Now Canon has come out with the 1000D which still has more features than the D60 but is about the same price.

If you want to do sports the Canon is better. It has 7 focussing zones (Nikon has 3) which is better for following a moving subject, something that happens often in sports
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Bottom line is if you are looking to move into the DSLR field take your time and research the cameras available in your price range. I would never buy from a QVC pitch if I didn't already know that brand or model is exactly what I need or want. I've been shooting the kids ball games for years and believe me you don't do a quality job by buying cheap equipment. Stick around PR a little longer and ask more question. We have plenty of people that are or have been your shoes and can help with the decision. Your making a big investment make it count.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for the input, I will keep that in mind. I was just looking for a combo with multiple lenses in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by atspell
    Thanks for the input, I will keep that in mind. I was just looking for a combo with multiple lenses in my price range.
    I understand where you are coming from I was in much the same place a few years ago when I bought my first auto focus camera. I got very anxious to buy an N80 Nikon that I was hearing so much about here on PR. I acted to quickly without researching the seller of the mulit-lens kit that came with it. I ended up paying way to much and got a couple of lenses that did not meet my standards once I started using them. Make sure the lenses will meet your requirements and perform under the conditions you will be shoot under. The glass you attach to that new body is just as important if not more so than the camera itself. If need be go for one good fast lens and save up to get that other lens you want a little later.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Also look into Sony, the Alpha A200 or A300 are both excellent performers, and it uses the always great Minolta AF lens system.

I took your advice, I just purchased the Sony DSLR-A300K and it came with a Sony - 75-300mm Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens. I never even looked at these models. I was set to get a Nikon or Canon because of the name. I think this camera will serve my need and I will be saving to buy that bigger, better lens before baseball season gets here.

Cool! I am confident you will be very pleased with the functionality.

The first lens I reccomend you look into is the 70-210 f4, its termed the 'beercan' by minolta users, and is the msot legendary lens in the system aside from the G series lens (which will cost more than your camera). We dedicated a thread to it here - link. It doesn't go as far as the 75-300, but its faster, has a better and wider sweet spot, and outperforms its IQ bar none.

Minolta legacy lens are incredibly priced and excellent performers, dyxum.com has a tech spec/review of nearly every minolta lens on the planet.

Thread Information