Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Decided to buy Canon D50 , NEED HELP with lenses.

Hello folks ...............

I have decided (ALMOST . since other choices are 500d or 450D) to buy Canon D50 BODY from Best Buy. However , I am NOT sure which one (ONLY ONE LENS - I hate carrying too many lenses and looking for "one-size-fits-all" lens or close to it) lens to choose from following lenses (the prices are at Best Buy) ............

The lens reviews are i@ www.photozone.de

!) Canon - 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Zoom Lens $299.99

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/19...report--review

Optical Quality 3 1/2*, Mechanical quality 3*,Price/Performance 5*

2) Canon - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens $649.99

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/20...report--review

Optical Quality 3 1/2*, Mechanical quality 3*,Price/Performance 5*

Unfortunately , Sigma and Tamron lenses are NOT available at Besy Buy (why Best-Buy --- they have very good financing plan right now)

I do NOT want to spend MORE THAN $2000.

Thanks

Vic

Thanks a LOT

Re: Decided to buy Canon D50 , NEED HELP with lenses.

I would see if best buy offers good lenses. The ones you listed are all Canons lowest of the lows, and none of them are all-purpose. They may be able to order in some of Canon's good lens.

That and they are asking WAY too much for those. You could get a 70-200 f/4 L for the same price as that 70-300.

I hope this what you are talking about ............
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm.../dp/B000053HH5

@ BB the price is $709

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Camera-A...d=abcat0410018

OR

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...getype=listing

I MAY downgrade the camera to Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i (500D) OR Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi(450D) and buy LENS RECOMMENDED BY YOU.

Thanks a LOT

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have heard pretty good things about things about the Canon 18-200mm lens. The reviews I have read all look pretty good considering it is a pretty inexpensive lens. Most people would be better served spending less on a camera body, and more money on a good lens. Keep in mind that Canon just announced the new T2i Rebel yesterday. It might be worth the wait or it may cause the price of some of the other Rebels to drop.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The reviews are NOT that stellar ..................here

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/40...n_18200_3556is

Optical Quality 1 1/2*, Mechanical quality 2*,Price/Performance 2*

Thnaks for your reply.

You can't expect an all purpose lens to be a very good one either. Not saying that one is 'bad', but an 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 can only be so good. You'd be much more well served to get an 17-50 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/4 L. Then, it wouldn't be one all purpose lens, but those two lens combined are very good 'all-purpose'

Thanks a LOT for suggestions.

As far as Best buy is concerned ................they have jacked-up the prices ( NO SURPRISE THERE) knowing well that lot of people will fall this 18-month NO interest MIN payment plan. I DO NOT blame them ELSE I have to shell out of my pocket or charge to credit card.

Any way..............................My SO will ask me first question .............are you out of your xxxxxxx mind (NOT exactly like this, I just exagerrated) ? She told me the same thing when I went for scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef .......I was about to buy/rent a underwater camera.....and she said ................you can guess :wink5:

Thanks again.........my friend :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi,

Last(hopefully) questions BEFORE PLACING ONLINE ORDER.............

If I have to CARRY JUST ONE LENS (if you take these two lenses on a safari...........either I will fumble and drop myself or the camera with the lens or both or even worst .............screw-up the camera letting dirt get in by frequently changing the lenses ....or even miss the scenery while lookingfor a lens and putting it on) ............what will be your suggestion ?

I think...........I would like to go with Canon - 70-200mm f/4 USM L Telephoto Zoom Lens. Can you critic this selection please?

Camera .................I was initially thinking 50D...now looks like I have to retched down and go with either new 550D or 500D or 450D............what will be your suggestion ?

I am patient and hopefully you are (I apologize profusely, if I am pissing you off with constant barrage of ?s and saying final questions)........I know, I am ALMOST there ,,,,,,,,but NOT QUITE there YET

:mad2: ..............I think we have TOO many choices, 1 simple choice should have been better .....to make our life simple. What have we gotten ourself into in the name of development/progress/cutting-edge technology/ blah..blah... blah?

Thanks........... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"I think...........I would like to go with Canon - 70-200mm f/4 USM L Telephoto Zoom Lens. Can you critic this selection please?"

Have you actually looked through one of these lenses on a camera? It's a telephoto. OK if you're shooting wild animals from a distance but useless for a wide panorama, an interior or even a group. You just can't "get it all in" without walking back a long way

"Camera .................I was initially thinking 50D...now looks like I have to retched down and go with either new 550D or 500D or 450D............what will be your suggestion ?"

How big do you want to print? If it's no bigger than A3 (13x19 inches) in good light then even the 450D is more than enough.

"I think we have TOO many choices, 1 simple choice should have been better .....to make our life simple. What have we gotten ourself into in the name of development/progress/cutting-edge technology/"

These are all just tools which are adapted (or not) to do certain things. Right now you don't have the experience to know what is best suited to what you want to do.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Hi...................................

"Have you actually looked through one of these lenses on a camera? It's a telephoto. " Yes I did...........with 50D .......felt little heavy with the Canon - 70-200mm f/4 USM L Telephoto Zoom Lens. I will try with 450D.

17-50 f/2.8 - Will try with 450D this weekend alon gwith other lens. I do not think it will be too heavy.

"How big do you want to print?" - not more than A3 (13x19 inches) ---- so 450D is OK.

You made my life simple. Great.Thanks a LOT.

I think I am READY ..........Hushhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....450D + Canon - 70-200mm f/4 USM L Telephoto Zoom Lens + Canon 17-50 f/2.8. Great ............once ...twice .....sold to gentleman "CLK550lover". Thank You.

These are all just tools which are adapted (or not) to do certain things. Right now you don't have the experience to know what is best suited to what you want to do. ----- Agree > 100 %. guilty as charged my honor!!!

End Of Discussion. Case closed.

Thanks a LOT.

*edit - nevermind "case closed". ;)

Quote Originally Posted by clk550lover
    I think I am READY ..........Hushhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....450D + Canon - 70-200mm f/4 USM L Telephoto Zoom Lens + Canon 17-50 f/2.8. Great ............once ...twice .....sold to gentleman "CLK550lover". Thank You.
    Nope. Still not quite right. Canon don't make a 17-50 f2.8.

- You must be talking about the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. There's somebody on the site who raves about this lens. I haven't collected any reviews of it but it seems that people are pleased with it.
    - Or you might be talking about the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS which is excellent but a bit big
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

You are right - either Tamron 17-50 f2.8.or Canon Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. I will GO WITH CANON.

Thanks ....my mistake.

I hope NOW we can close.

THANKS A LOT for all the help.

I don't want to upset your purchase but Best Buy has a horrible rating. Take a look below.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Buy

Remember, it is VERY IMPORTANT, that you not only need to research the equipment, you also need to research where you buy it from, Jeff

Added note. I would stay as far away from Best Buy as I could get!
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grandpaw ....................

Oh ............No

Need couple of more vendors - Crutchfield and COMPUSA. I know,Crutch field good because I biught sevaral items from them in past. Called their customer service once ...................it was NOT their fault BUT they arm-twisted the other vendor to make sure that I am HAPPY. NO PROBLEM THERE ...............Very Happy..........:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

COMPUSA - good rating on the site you gave a link to - NEVER dealt but will explore.

:idea: May I suggest something? Let us put this link AT THE TOP IN "STICKY"..............That will of GREAT HELP.

I usually run the vendor's name thru rip-Off site and would have done anyway BEFORE actually pulling the trigger to place the order. My Rule in the life "If offer is TGTBT then it is".

Here is for "Best Buy" .........

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Best-Buy.aspx

Thanks.........

Vic

Thread Information