Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Narrowed my choices - looking for input

Hello again everyone,

I'm almost ready to buy my DSLR. I've been doing alot of researching and reading reviews at dpreview.com. I'm going to have about $500 to spend on the body and lens. I'm not crazy about going with a kit only because I want to pick out my own glass. Here's some models I'm considering, let me hear what you guys think on them.

Nikon D40X
    Nikon D60

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EOS 400D Rebel XS

Pentax K10D (they have refurbished ones at the Best Buy outlet for $380)

I looked at Olympus E-410 and E-500 but they didn't seem like they were up to par with the three brands I just listed. Also looked at the Sony A100 & A200 but the reviews said that the long exposure NR isn't very good and the three other brands I'm considering seem better choices.

Well let me know what you all think. I'm currently shooting a 35mm Nikon N80 which I plan to keep but will shoot the DSLR much more often I'm sure. I do like to do some long exposures, and would like to do some Macro shooting as well. I would like the option to blow the pictures up to 11X15 or something of that size to hang on the wall if I want to. Is 8MP enough, or do I need to go 10MP+

Out of all of those cameras, I'd have to get them all used except the K10D which I can get refurbed within my price range.....should this effect my choice?

Thanks in advance for all the help, this is a great forum...I've been doing alot of reading here over the past week. :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Skydmark1; 02-08-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Re: Narrowed my choices - looking for input

Just found these at refurbdepot.com, this throws a wrench in the works as I wasn't considering kits or the EOS450D (Rebel XSi).

http://www.refurbdepot.com/CANON_EOS...r_2756B003.cfm
    http://www.refurbdepot.com/CANON_EOS...t_2763B003.cfm
    Last edited by Skydmark1; 02-08-2010 at 08:27 AM.

What lenses have you got for your F80?

Do start considering kits. The Nikon kits are great value to get you started.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Of the ones listed, the K10D certainly is the best value. $380 for that is quite a bargain. I'd make sure they are factory refurbished and make sure they have the same manufacturers warranty on them.

The Sony A100 is OLD as dirt I'm surprised they still have it there. And the A230/A330 are the current competition to the Canon/Nikons you mentioned.

Olympus' niche is their smaller form factor, and their bigger crop factor and relative dof. If those are benefits to your use then olympus is good. Straight from camera - olympus produces great image quality but not up to par with the others you listed.

Thanks for the input Anbesol, I'm shying away from the Nikons at this point, mostly because the AF motor is in the lens, and the lack of a DOF preview. So now I'm thinking these are the three I'm interested in most.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS - at refurbdepot (factory refurbished) with 18-55mm kit lens. $450

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi - at refurbdepot (factory refurbished) with 18-55mm kit lens. $550

Pentax K10D Body Only at BestBuy (factory refurbished) $380

Not that it makes a real difference but I dig the Silver body on the Canons =)

So I feel like any of these cameras will be great, but I'm just not sure the best route to go.

I´m also in the arduous process of upgrading my Oly E-420 ans just like you I have done my homework reading reviews, sample pics, specs...tons and tons....my budget is similar to yours..after burning my eyes with the extensive info and comparisons my vote goes no doubt for the Canon XSi (450D).

For my taste the 18-55 IS kit lens is OK but I think buying just the body...save the 100 buck or so and put them in in a different glass of similar range.
    Make sure you check out the 50mm prime lens f1.8 version....is really cheap and awesome quality for the money....great for low budgets.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Skydmark1
    Just found these at refurbdepot.com, this throws a wrench in the works as I wasn't considering kits or the EOS450D (Rebel XSi).

http://www.refurbdepot.com/CANON_EOS...r_2756B003.cfm
    http://www.refurbdepot.com/CANON_EOS...t_2763B003.cfm
    I was looking at the links and for what I have seen I found the price tags not too appealing IMO for a refub camera....the XSi kit new is 600 buck or less....Maybe it's just me but I prefer to put my money on new equipment for a 50 dollar difference.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

I would suggest checking out the thread "Recommended Sites and Sites to Avoid" there is a lot of helpful information there that may save you a lot of headaches if you read it BEFORE you buy anything.

Look here. Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Best Buy is one company I would suggest avoiding all together. Knowing where to buy is every bit as important as know what equipment you decide to purchase, Jeff

to check out Best Buy look here. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Buy
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well after reading through the list of recommended sites to check out, I found this

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBRA.html

It's the black body, and I wanted silver but for the price I think it's a good deal and I'm not that hung up on color.

Thread Information