Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sony P10 vs Olympus c - 50

Hi All --

I am about to upgrade my old 1.2 MP camera. I am deciding between the Sony 5 MP P10 and the Olympus 5 MP C-50. Can anyone tell me the Pro's and Cons of each? If there is another comparable camera that is out there please let me know about that also.

Thanks in Advance....

Don't forget Canon

Have you checked the reviews on this site? The Olympus has a significantly higher averaged rating than the Sony. If you haven't looked at the reviews, you probably should. You might also take a look at the sample images in the Digital Cameras Gallery. Looking at high-res images will help you evaluate the overall image quality.

4-5 Megapixel Camera Reviews >>

Digital Camera Gallery >>

Also, make sure to take a look at the new Canon S500 and the older S400. A lot of people don't think there's any real improvement in image quality between 4 and 5 megapixel compact digital cameras. So buying a 4 megapixel camera might be a good idea and you'll save some money.

Besides whatever you discover in the reviews, I think the biggest difference between the two cameras you listed is probably the storage media and the form factor. The Sony will restrict you to using Memory Stick, which sort of commits you to Sony for your next camera, too. The Olympus uses xD Picture Card memory which only Fuji and Olympus use. So that's sort of limiting, too. I don't know if that's something you should allow to affect your decision, but you should at least be aware of it.

And in the end, I'd go with what the reviews say. If the overall impression rating of one camera is significantly better than another, that really says something. And in this case, the Olympus has an larger than one point advantage. That shouldn't be discounted.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information