Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Nikon D70 Good Enough for Professional Use?

I am a wedding / portrait photographer who’s finally ready to dip my toe into the digital whirlpool. I’m a little nervous about the whole venture, as any diehard film photographer is, but feel that we need to dive into the next generation. Short and sweet, we presently use a Nikon F4S for our wedding photojournalism, which is where I thought we’d first integrate the digital format and then move on from there to other areas of our services.

With this being said, does anyone have any thoughts about using the Nikon D70 for this type of professional work? I kind of want something that isn’t going to break the bank to start out with, but also don’t want something that isn’t going to do the job. Can the D70 do the job I require or should I aim a little higher up the Nikon digital family tree? Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Absolutely, it'd be perfect for you.

Two features stand out that apply to exactly what you're doing:

1) i-TTL flash. It's Nikon's new flash system that suposedly brings exposure consistency even closer to their film cameras. You will need either the SB-600 or SB-800 to take advantage of it.

2) 1/500 sync speed for the flash. Nion incorporated the electronic shutter into this version of the D100 sensor. (Basically, they had it OFF when in the D100.) I think you already realize the benefits of fast sync speed, be in in the studio or outside for fill-flash.

I think those two features alone coupled with the price point would be enough for me if I were you. There are many other reasons for getting the camera, but those two scream out for your application. BTW, I'm a Canon shooter...

Good luck.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Absolutely, it'd be perfect for you.
    Thanks for the input, Sebastian!

I use a Nikon D70 for event photography (live music and bands). I love it! Although, I did recently experience a fluke that has it in for service- the camera store said that not one has come back yet- other than mine for service and none returned- and they can't keep it in stock.

I love the SB-800 flash with it, but you may use a 3rd party flash- I don't know. It's great though, and I find the metering to be better than the D100 and very good.

This one's in a dark corner of the stage and anyone playing in this part of the stage usually has a tendency to be underexposed or way too "flashy" (next photo). It looks very natural.

Here are a couple pics without flash.

This one's High ISO, no flash, 2.8 lens.

Hopefully even though it's not totally the same kind of photography, it's helpful. I, like you, have one chance to get a shot. And if you're lighting isn't as challenging as mine, then I think you'll be VERY happy. I find bar lighting to be very bad. Never enough light and anything too flashy just doesn't look rock and roll.

hey girlie,this is somme killer stuff,i guess that answers the question.i use mine for weddings and studio work also.i have no problems.
    freelance1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

i use mine for all ocasions .sports ,studio,weddings ect.no problems,i have really had no problems yet.considering the low end lenses im using currently[JUST SWITCHED FROM PENTAX} .just a quick fix in photo suite,and save and store.i use a 512 ultra,and just bought a one gig ultra,i havent needed yet.pricewise i plan on having two of them up and running soon.
    freelance1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Lenses for D70 = advice?

I too am thinking about the D70 as the next step for my portraits/weddings/events. What lenses do you recommend? I have a few for my N80 that I have been really happy with, especially the Tamron 28-200 XR, but I would love to add a wide-angle, macro and/or fixed portrait lens to my setup.

Also, any other tips for using the D70 to shoot weddings specifically?

Thanks!

Thread Information