Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Magnetic tripod?

Hello everyone,

I've got a Canon Powershot G10 - love it. I'm looking for a magnetic tripod, so I can get some interesting shots off a car - with the tripod holding the camera to the body of the car. I found the GorillaPod Magnetic, but the max for that is 325g - while my camera is 350g. Does anyone know of another magnetic tripod that could support my camera?

I've found suction caps aren't useful simply because there are almost never any flat surfaces on the cars...

Thanks!
    Daniel

Re: Magnetic tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    Wow, $200 each. Nothing cheaper I suppose eh?

If I did go for the GorillaPod Magnetic that my camera is 25g overweight - will it simply not work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lieb39
    Wow, $200 each. Nothing cheaper I suppose eh?

If I did go for the GorillaPod Magnetic that my camera is 25g overweight - will it simply not work?

Thanks
    What are you going to buy for your next camera?? Keep in mind that the physics of mounting a camera to a moving vehicle are slightly different than sticking one to a stationary post. You would be better to look into a manffotto superclamp and a manfrotto friction arm.

While also expensive they are much more versatile and sturdy. Good support comes at a cost. If you are handy you might be able to rig something up that would work.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I use suction clamps, not magnetic.
    Much better on curved surfaces, use 3 small clamps and a plate with the camera mount on, where a single mount won't hold.
    Just one suction clamp held my 20D, while racing at Spa Francorchamps.
    That was inside on the window, so I didn't need extras for safety, I used the camera strap as a secondary anchor if the mount failed.
    You have to think about that, with a single mount what will you do if it fails at speed?

I'll check out at the Autosport International show next week.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by lieb39
    I've found suction caps aren't useful simply because there are almost never any flat surfaces on the cars...
    Here are some examples from the Autosport International show.
    Notice that not one is magnetic, they're all suction mounts.

OK, I left out all the tubular clamp mounts, as it sounds like you're shooting production cars, not race cars with roll cages where the tubing is great to use for mounting.

I use the Cullmann mounts for lightweight cameras - up to 20D with EF-S 10-22 lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnetic tripod?-_v9w8993.jpg   Magnetic tripod?-_v9w8992.jpg   Magnetic tripod?-_v9w8991.jpg   Magnetic tripod?-_v9w8989.jpg   Magnetic tripod?-_v9w8988.jpg  

PAul

Suction type are good and cheap but you cant use them always. Magnetics are too pricey for me but if you already have the gorillla pod stick with just put it in something stable.

Frankly, I would never trust my DSLR to an exterior car mount--especially a suction cup. Get a cheap, light point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Schaeffer
    Frankly, I would never trust my DSLR to an exterior car mount--especially a suction cup. Get a cheap, light point and shoot.
    A good quality suction cup can grip tight enough to cause damage to the vehicle if it is hit. The average Lowe's/Home Depot model is not what should be used. Super clamps and heavy duty friction arms are also very good. I have used them for years to suspend a camera with a nice wide angle lens on it over the goal at basket ball games. Never had an issue. Like everything else, you just have to spend the money to buy the quality gear necessary to do the job.

Most journalists I've seen use culmann suction mounts.
    As long as the surface isn't too curved, it'll stick just fine.
    My 20D came unscrewed leaving the battery grip on the mount and the body rattling around a bit
    No problem with the mount, only the user.

If the car has thin body panels, you can actually pull out a round mark on the body.
    Which is why the multiple mounts are useful, smaller less powerful individually, but like an octopus - lots of them hold just fine...

Valerimae, on a car a gorillapod is asking to lose the camera.
    I wouldn't even try a P&S with it.
    Though I may just try the gorillapod to see how far around a lap it gets before it comes off.
    PAul

Thread Information