Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Photoshop question

Hi

I'm looking for some good photo editing software. I don't want to spend big bucks for the latest greatest photoshop....
    I see on ebay someone selling an earlier version (5.0) for around $30.

Is this good enough software for me to use to sharpen and edit my pictures taken with my 4mp Olympus.
    I just want to be able to play around with color/sharpmess maybe do some black and white.... for printing 4x6 or 8x10.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Donald

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soilsample
    Hi

I'm looking for some good photo editing software. I don't want to spend big bucks for the latest greatest photoshop....

Is this good enough software for me to use to sharpen and edit my pictures taken with my 4mp Olympus.
    It is much more than you need for these simple tasks. I use PS 5.5 and have no desire to upgrade it.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Lightbulb another option

would be PhotoShop Elements2.0 which is about $50 (maybe after a $50 rebate) but the bottom line cost is $50 at any rate. I got mine at CompUSA. It has many of the features that PS has....of course, not the more pro/sophisticated.

I do agree with Michael that PS 5 should be fine....maybe overkill, but may be better than Elements in many ways.......it takes up a lot more space in the computer tho.

Liz

Paintshop Pro

Check out Paintshop Pro and some of the other consumer-level editing programs available. Photoshop is pretty deep and can be hard to use without some help. A lot od simpler programs are very powerful and a lot easier to get into. Here's a link to the editing software review section on this site. There aren't a ton of reviews, but you'll get an idea of what's available:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/pscSoft...S_3078crx.aspx
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I've learned Photoshop from hearing or reading about a trick, trying it myself and then applying that to my own images when needed. Fact is, most of the info out there is based on Photoshop, it's the standard. Because of that, I'd stick with Photoshop Elements 2. For $50, you can't go wrong.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by soilsample
    Hi

I just want to be able to play around with color/sharpmess maybe do some black and white.... for printing 4x6 or 8x10.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Donald
    Hi Donald,

I received the Photoshop Elements 2.0 CD today with my new camera, and I do not need it. I would be happy to sell it to you for a reasonable price if you are interested in that version. You can send me a Private Message if you'd like. Hope this helps!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thanks for the input.....

I found a good source for a reasonable price on PS 5.0

I'll give it a try!

What about the Camedia software that comes wit the Olympus digital cameras?

I have not used PS (YET) but so far have found Camedia easy to use. Does PS Elements give you alot more?

Elements 2 is the way to go. It's cheap, easy and more than enough for what you'll be doing.

With old versions of software, you may run into compatability issues with new computers. The only thing Photoshop 5 is good for on a Mac running OS X, for example, is to use the serial number to get the upgrade price on Photoshop CS.

Photoshop, period.

One word - Photoshop.

Elements is all the elements of Photoshop 6, and there are a few behind-the-curtain technical reasons you want that, well once you learn about it. What's missing in Elements will not be misssed by you, unless maybe in a few years as you get more adept and - more rich! Yeah right, like me, right? *cough cough* But they are right, it is all you want now and therefore everything you need. I would NOT go back to version 5, if I wanted less or cheaper I would go Elements (even though you will probably pay more than $50 now, you will pay the same for PSPro and I can't see why anyone would really do that).

I have been into Photoshop since version 2, now on Photoshop 7 ... I hear there WILL be a version 8 which is what I lean toward, I only might go to version CS if I end up with better digital cameras and start shooting and saving RAW "files" on the memory card.

I had tried out just about every easily available other softwares by a lot of different outfits, and I refuse to waste time like that anymore. None of the stuff you get bundled on CDs with cameras, scanners, printers, et al are worth anything, even if they DO run on your machine, unless they'll give you a version of Elements on that.

Thread Information