Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Alright, well i'm a newbie to photography and i'm only 15½. I've heard how lithium batteries are recommended for digital cameras since they all have the tendency to drain regular AA batteries so quickly. I saw some lithiums one time that were only $12.00. Now is there such thing as rechargable lithiums? So far i only have rechargable AA's w/ the recharger, but i'm hoping that rechargable lithiums exist so i can have longer-lasting energy when i take pictures.

Thank you in advance.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical0822
    Alright, well i'm a newbie to photography and i'm only 15½. I've heard how lithium batteries are recommended for digital cameras since they all have the tendency to drain regular AA batteries so quickly. I saw some lithiums one time that were only $12.00. Now is there such thing as rechargable lithiums? So far i only have rechargable AA's w/ the recharger, but i'm hoping that rechargable lithiums exist so i can have longer-lasting energy when i take pictures.
    I have never seen rechargeable lithium AAs. The NiMH rechargeable batteries have improved capacity quite a bit and should provide a much cheaper alternative to alkaline AAs.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

how much to these NiMH rechargables cost, and where can i purchase them? also, would they work with a regular AA recharger?

They're about twelve bucks for a set of four, you can get them just about any place that sells batteries. Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, K-Mart. You have to have a charger specifically capable of charging NiMH batteries. There are some chargers that will work with several kinds of batteries, but when you buy one, make sure it will work with NiMH. Chargers start at about ten bucks.

Your rechargable AAs might be NiMH have a look at them. In which case your charger will be fine.

You need to get the highest rated ones you can find 2300mah or higher if you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by malum
    Your rechargable AAs might be NiMH have a look at them. In which case your charger will be fine.

You need to get the highest rated ones you can find 2300mah or higher if you can find them.
    alright, i just purchased a recharger that came with 6 AA's and 2 AAA's for only $20. . .but they're only 2100 mAh. still good enough though, because i took a ton of pictures yesterday (mostly w/ out flash though) and the AA's aren't even at the halfway mark yet.

thank you all for your input. i really appreciate it.

Thread Information