Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Unhappy Defective/Counterfeit Memory Card

My question is, can having a defective memory card formatting in the camera for a few hours cause damage to the camera (Kodak Z700)???

This is my first ever digital camera. Yesterday I tried for the first time ever to format a memory card (purchased on EBay). The LCD screen showed the "Formatting" screen for over three hours before I learned from SanDisk online support that this was not right and that the card was defective with an invalid serial number.

Thanks for your help!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Defective/Counterfeit Memory Card

It's possible I suppose, depends just in what way the card was faulty.
    Usually there are buffer chips on the camera, and buffer chips in the memory, which protect the expensive bits from damage.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Welcome to the forum! If you paid for that using PayPal I would contact them with this information and maybe get your money back.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Smile Re: Defective/Counterfeit Memory Card

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Welcome to the forum! If you paid for that using PayPal I would contact them with this information and maybe get your money back.
    Thanks! I'm sending the card back today for full refund from the Seller. I'll buy direct from SanDisk the prices on their website are not bad.

I appreciate your encouragement! I'm not much for bad days either. I try to live by the words of Abe Lincoln "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be"!

Happy New Year!

When you purchase another card I would make sure it is a high speed card, its worth the difference in money. Shop around and you might try price grabber to get a price.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information