Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Basic Flash Advice

I am coming from the point-and-shoot world where generally, the only time I used the built in flash was when it's bright and sunny out, and there is a shadow problem or if the photo is lit from behind or above. I am deciding between buying one of a few different Canon DSLR models.

1. Does this generally also apply when using the built in flash on a DSLR? OR will it produce produce better results when using the flash than with a point-and-shoot?
    2. Will an external Flash do a better job when taking pics of people, or of gadgets, or through glass?

Thanks in advance for your help.

NSSA/AIPS

Re: Basic Flash Advice

I've yet to use the built in flash on my DSLR. I use a shoe mounted flash, with the ability to actually light a situation up properly. Mot of the time I see built in's firing, I'm struck with the thought "why did it go off?"
    It's not about the camera....

I ocassionally use the built-in flash on a digital SLR. They work pretty good in general and they work better if you know how to manually tweak them. The built-in flash isn't something I would worry about when you buy a digital SLR, though. I would expect the metering to be better than you're used to from a point-and-shoot. But better to think of the pop-up flash as a bonus feature that's there when you need it. It's not a replacement for a hot shoe flash, though. A hot shoe flash is definitely better for almost everything. If you get a high-end flash you'll be able to bounce it, swivel it, control the output and do lots of other things that will help you control the light. I wouldn't worry about it while you're camera shopping, though. Choose a camera you like, use the pop-up flash for a while and when it starts to get in the way, then start looking at hot shoe flashes.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

So assuming you do not have a shoe mounted flash, is it better to still not use the built in one, but instead try to adjust the iso?

Quote Originally Posted by kat.hayes
    So assuming you do not have a shoe mounted flash, is it better to still not use the built in one, but instead try to adjust the iso?
    Wellll, I don't know if it's that simple. Higher ISO means more noise, although new cameras are a lot better. But flash can give you a harsh look. There are no real rules about what is better, you have to make a judgement call based on your situation and your subject. For instance, if I was outdoors at night I would definitely go with the flash. On the other hand, if I was indoors with good light I might try two photos - one at higher ISO and one with the flash.

I would also recommend learning to mix ambient light and flash. That allows you to get "fill" light from watever ambient light sources are around, as well as lighting your subject with the flash to freeze motion and separate the subject from the background. Think of a birthday cake shot. With standard auto flash settings you're going to get a bright subject against a black background. Harsh. You know what I'm talking about. On the other hand, if you use a slower shutter speed and manual flash you can have a warm, brighter tungsten light background with your subject lit by the flash. There may be a little motion blur but the flash will freeze your subject as he or she blows out the candles on the cake. I actually like this effect as it adds a little life and motion to what might otherwise be a kind of frozen, boring snapshot.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information