Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Rebel - Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D

Canon has just announced the latest in their Digital Rebel line, the EOS Rebel T2i (550D outside of the US). The new T2i has the same 18-megapixel sensor and video capabilities as the EOS 7D in the body of the previous T2i / 500D. Like the past few Rebel DSLRs, it looks like a hell of a lot of camera for the money.

Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D DSLR Announcement >>

I know a bunch of you are going to say that you don't care about the video feature or even that it's stupid. I understand where you're coming from. But better get used to it. That's how it's going to be from now on. So, what do you think of the new camera?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: New Rebel - Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D

I would really like a new everyday camera and backup to my 5D2 when working. After reading the T2i will have better video features plus other features from the 7D, I'm more than just curios about it. I look forward to trying one out.

Thanks for the info!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Great backup body!

I agree - I think this looks like a great backup for a 5D Mark II. If video was more important to me I'd probably be thinking about getting one. If you're shooting lots of video you could set the T2i up as a second camera so you can shoot two angles at once.
    Photo-John

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Same sensor as the 7D but only a single processor. That makes me wonder how well this camera will handle the noise of all those megapixels on that small sensor? Despite that, I think this looks like a very nice camera, and for only $800! I'm curious to see some sample images once this body becomes available.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Same sensor as the 7D but only a single processor. That makes me wonder how well this camera will handle the noise of all those megapixels on that small sensor? Despite that, I think this looks like a very nice camera, and for only $800! I'm curious to see some sample images once this body becomes available.
    That's a very good point! I hadn't thought about how the processing might affect the image quality. I just assumed it would be the same as the 7D. Now you've got me curious, too!
    Photo-John

I would expect it to be the same as well, just slower. If it uses the same Digic and process string, why would it be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I would expect it to be the same as well, just slower. If it uses the same Digic and process string, why would it be any different?
    I agree. I would expect the difference in processing to just be the 3.7 fps vs 8 fps. However, different micro-lenses on top of the sensor could affect it's sensitivity and thus it's noise output, and that would be a good place for Canon to save money. Just because it's 18MP doesn't mean it's exactly the same sensor. I could be wrong, but I don't think the 500D has the same gap-less micro-lenses as the 50D. Still, I have seen a few 550D sample shots that looked very impressive for an $800 camera.

I'm still happy with my 450D...holding out for a 5D Mk III. Anyone looking for deal should get a 450D while supplies last.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I'm still happy with my 450D...holding out for a 5D Mk III. Anyone looking for deal should get a 450D while supplies last.

Paul
    Funny thing I´m in pursuit in one of those 450D´s (XSi) at the moment....I went through tons of reviews, sample pics, specs...titanic task to make up my mind for one camera....I ended up liking the 450D....now I´looking at price tags and probably I´ll go a used one if I can find a good deal on a mint condition one.
    Oh! boy! and after that the whole circus to decide for a pair of lenses....ain´t this fun!

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Paul

Paul,
    I see you are a D70 user too and maybe its apples and oranges but could you briefly compare it to your 450D?

Antonio

Just because it's 18MP doesn't mean it's exactly the same sensor.
    It could be I misunderstood or they left something out. But I'm pretty sure Canon specifically told me that the T2i / 550D has the same sensor as the 7D. It doesn't really make sense for them to develop a new sensor for the T2i, either. They save production and design money by using the same sensor and there really isn't any reason for them to invest more money in it for this camera.

I understood the slower burst rate to be because of the 4-channel sensor readout, compared to the 7D's 8-channel readout. That should mean the T2i dumps data from the sensor at half the speed. Processing would be separate from that.

Last but no least, Canon made no claims about improved or even changed image quality with the T2i. If they'd done something notable, they'd definitely want to point it out. So I expect we can expect the same image quality as the 7D. Maybe we'll be surprised. But I doubt it.
    Photo-John

Nikon D70? Where do you see hes a D70 user?

The D70 is OLD, they are 2 models beyond that with the D90. That said the 450D would outdo it in image quality and modern features. The 450D is the clear choice between those two.

If you read his profile you will find out. And yes I know the Canon is a recent model but since I haven’t shoot any of those I wanted to hear a short comment and sorry, this was way out of topic.

Quote Originally Posted by apass

Paul,
    I see you are a D70 user too and maybe its apples and oranges but could you briefly compare it to your 450D?

Antonio
    I guess I need to update my profile. I sold the D70 about a year and half ago. It was a good camera, but image quality is much better with the 450D. Very noticeably more fine detail (as expected) and much improved high ISO noise levels. The only things better about the D70 are the high flash synch speed which I never really used, a more comfortable grip, and a separate dial for shutter and aperture (Rebels only have one dial).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    It could be I misunderstood or they left something out. But I'm pretty sure Canon specifically told me that the T2i / 550D has the same sensor as the 7D. It doesn't really make sense for them to develop a new sensor for the T2i, either. They save production and design money by using the same sensor and there really isn't any reason for them to invest more money in it for this camera.

I understood the slower burst rate to be because of the 4-channel sensor readout, compared to the 7D's 8-channel readout. That should mean the T2i dumps data from the sensor at half the speed. Processing would be separate from that.

Last but no least, Canon made no claims about improved or even changed image quality with the T2i. If they'd done something notable, they'd definitely want to point it out. So I expect we can expect the same image quality as the 7D. Maybe we'll be surprised. But I doubt it.
    I did a little more reading on this earlier today and what I read agrees with basically what your saying. The only difference between the sensors is the number of output channels, which really only affects the speed. Both have gap-less micro lenses. However, contrary to what I was thinking yesterday, if you read Canon's own description of the 7D they say the dual processors allows for higher image quality. That may just be marketing mumbo-jumbo, but if it's not you could deduce that a single processor with the same sensor might have lower image quality.

I also agree with your logic about "why develop two different sensors," except that's just what they did with the 50D and T1i. The 50D introduced gap-less micro lenses, but the T1i does not have them. Of course, the micro lenses are not added to the sensor until after the whole semi-conductor chip fabrication portion of manufacturing is complete, so it's still really the same sensor. That's what I was thinking could be the case with these two cameras too...but it's not.

Regardless...the sample photos look damn good.

Paul

...Of course, the micro lenses are not added to the sensor until after the whole semi-conductor chip fabrication portion of manufacturing is complete...
    Heh...I'm quoting myself. Right after I posted this I realized I don't know what I'm talking about. :blush2: You should all be looking like this right now. :skep: I understand chip fabrication on a basic level, but I really don't know how they make the micro lenses. It might make more sense that the lenses are actually the substrate on which the circuit is fabricated, in which case there would have to be a different set of process recipes for the rest of the circuit, even if the only difference is the micro-lenses. Different micro-lenses could have the same affect on manufacturing efficiency as an entirely different sensor. I don't know. So, in short, ignore me and move along...nothing to see here.

Paul

Regardless...the sample photos look damn good.
    Are you talking about official Canon samples or my 7D samples? I've been pretty pleased with the image quality of the 7D. It doesn't have 5D Mk II IQ as some people mistakenly expected it to. But it's definitely an improvement over my 50D.
    Photo-John

Cool Re: New Rebel - Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D

ok i just bought this camera and i love it but i cant shoot a descent pic from far away. i want a lens to be able to shoot at a distance. can someone help me i am camera stupid.i wanna take pics that when an animal is far away i can just zoom in and take the shot. the lens that comes with the cam doesnt shoot that far,

I think you should start a new thread. Which camera did you just buy? The T2i / 550D isn't available yet.
    Photo-John

I think you should start a new thread. Which camera did you just buy? The T2i / 550D isn't available yet.
    Canon EOS Rebel xs looks just like the camera in this pic but isnt...

Awesome specs.. glad to see entry level getting more bang for the buck. Video functionality seems pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by StudioBin
    Awesome specs.. glad to see entry level getting more bang for the buck. Video functionality seems pretty sweet.
    Right now, video functionality is as good as it gets in an HD DSLR. The T2i / 550D has the same video specs as the 5D Mk II, 7D and EOS-1D Mk IV. That's why I said in my article that it looks like Canon is pushing really hard with to own the HD DSLR video category. They didn't have to include this kind of spec in an "entry-level" camera. And it will probably take away from sales of the 7D and maybe even the 5D Mk II. But it's going to give them even more dominance in this area and no doubt pull in more small budget buyers.
    Photo-John

Heh...I'm quoting myself. Right after I posted this I realized I don't know what I'm talking about. :blush2: You should all be looking like this right now. :skep: I understand chip fabrication on a basic level, but I really don't know how they make the micro lenses. It might make more sense that the lenses are actually the substrate on which the circuit is fabricated, in which case there would have to be a different set of process recipes for the rest of the circuit, even if the only difference is the micro-lenses. Different micro-lenses could have the same affect on manufacturing efficiency as an entirely different sensor. I don't know. So, in short, ignore me and move along...nothing to see here.

Paul
    Just curious, anyone know where Canon manufactures their chips? Are they made within the company or are they contracted out?

Heh, I'm even curious now what ATE they use too...

The new rebel looks great... I'm not looking for a new camera now, but still was drooling reading the specs. But my XSi is fairly new and I'm planning on investing in more good lenses before I start even thinking about a new body.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Canon Rebel XS

Quote Originally Posted by luiszambrano
    Canon EOS Rebel xs looks just like the camera in this pic but isnt...
    Luis-
    Ok, I see why you posted in this thread. Here's what you do - go back up to the main page of the Canon forum: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=50

Then look for the "Start New Thread" button at the upper left corner of the forum. Click on that to start a new thread. Or look through the posts for a Canon XS / 1000D thread. We can definitely help but not in this thread. We don't want to hijack it and get it off-topic
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Just curious, anyone know where Canon manufactures their chips? Are they made within the company or are they contracted out?

Heh, I'm even curious now what ATE they use too...
    What's "ATE?"

Canon makes all their own electronic components. Now, that can mean different things, of course. But unlike Nikon buying their 24-megapixel sensor from Sony, Canon designs and has their own sensors made. I don't know if they actually have their own sensor factory. But they are at the upward end of the sensor design and manufacturing spectrum.
    Photo-John

What's "ATE?"

Canon makes all their own electronic components. Now, that can mean different things, of course. But unlike Nikon buying their 24-megapixel sensor from Sony, Canon designs and has their own sensors made. I don't know if they actually have their own sensor factory. But they are at the upward end of the sensor design and manufacturing spectrum.
    Sorry, ATE is Automated Test Equipment. Semiconductors in general will have a high failure rate in production, so automated testing for quality assurance is heavily utilized.

I work for a company that makes testers... hence my curiosity for that.

Nikon doesn't have their own chips designed from their own specs?
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/