Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New Rebel - Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I guess I need to update my profile. I sold the D70 about a year and half ago. It was a good camera, but image quality is much better with the 450D. Very noticeably more fine detail (as expected) and much improved high ISO noise levels. The only things better about the D70 are the high flash synch speed which I never really used, a more comfortable grip, and a separate dial for shutter and aperture (Rebels only have one dial).

Paul
    Paul,
    Appreciate your comments related to my question and your contribution to this thread. I was really curious as to how much IQ was perceived on newer cameras and as you say lower ISO noise on higher settings makes a big difference.

Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Nikon doesn't have their own chips designed from their own specs?
    I think they are doing their own sensor design now. But they've outsourced a lot of them in the past. I can't remember which cameras right now except for the 24-megapixel D3X.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Are you talking about official Canon samples or my 7D samples? I've been pretty pleased with the image quality of the 7D. It doesn't have 5D Mk II IQ as some people mistakenly expected it to. But it's definitely an improvement over my 50D.
    Sorry John, I was looking at T2i samples shot with a pre-production camera over on the dpreview site. I didn't try to compare them directly to the 7D. They looked noticeably better than my 450D, so that was enough for me.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Just curious, anyone know where Canon manufactures their chips? Are they made within the company or are they contracted out?...
    I'm not sure but I suspect they do the design and outsource the manufacturing. I used to work for the largest semiconductor manufacturing equipment company in the world, Applied Materials, and I don't recall ever seeing any equipment go to Canon...unless their Fabs are under another name.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think they are doing their own sensor design now. But they've outsourced a lot of them in the past. I can't remember which cameras right now except for the 24-megapixel D3X.
    Nikon's R&D Director gave details a couple of weeks ago while on a trip to Paris:

D3X (24Mpix) = Design based on Sony 24Mpix sensor with lots of modifications by Nikon, made by Sony
    D3, D3s, D700 (12Mpix) = Nikon design, unspecified manufacturer but not Sony
    D300s (12Mpix) = Design based on Sony 12Mpix sensor with lots of modifications by Nikon, made by Sony
    Low-end = Designed and made by Sony. Nikon would like use their own sensors but for the time being it's a question of cost and volume

Canon have their own CMOS factory. This is why they could start putting CMOS sensors in cameras while everyone else was using CCD
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I went to Bel Air Camera today to take a look at the new T2i. I was impressed with all the features packed in such a light weight body. I'm not too familiar with the Rebel line so forgive me for praising features that already exist in other models. I liked dedicated movie mode on the control dial. The auto off on the LCD was also cool when you put your eye up to the view finder. I also noticed that you can designate a max ISO value when using AUTO ISO. The LCD is bright and clear when using live view. There happens to be a new battery model for this camera.

This is a lot of camera for anybody. Many experience photographers would tell a new photographer to skip the fancy body and get good glass. The price of this body let's you have the best of both worlds. You can get new technology and a good price ans still have money for good glass.

Canon has done really well with this one.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information