Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Kit Lens alternatives

Since I´m planning to migrate to Canon I have been looking at bodies and lenses to start making an "ideal" bundle.

I decided to go with the XSi body (450D) plus 2 lenses, one similar to the kit lens "all around" and one telefoto like the 70-300 or similar.
    Before going to make the purchase I´m still doubtful if to go with the kit lens 18-55 new version or get just the body and buy another glass of similar focal range. The kit lens well.. its the kit lens with its know flaws and advantages.
    I started to fix my eye on a 17-85 IS glass which seems better than the kit lens in quality and range lens but is far from being good at wide angles (17-35) as for what I´ve read.

What other alternatives do I have for this an "all around" lens without going into bankruptcy?

Is the 17-85 worth it?

Thanks!

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Re: Kit Lens alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Since I´m planning to migrate to Canon I have been looking at bodies and lenses to start making an "ideal" bundle.

I decided to go with the XSi body (450D) plus 2 lenses, one similar to the kit lens "all around" and one telefoto like the 70-300 or similar.
    Before going to make the purchase I´m still doubtful if to go with the kit lens 18-55 new version or get just the body and buy another glass of similar focal range. The kit lens well.. its the kit lens with its know flaws and advantages.
    I started to fix my eye on a 17-85 IS glass which seems better than the kit lens in quality and range lens but is far from being good at wide angles (17-35) as for what I´ve read.

What other alternatives do I have for this an "all around" lens without going into bankruptcy?

Is the 17-85 worth it?

Thanks!
    I have not used the 17-85 IS, but I did read a lot about it before I made my purchase. I'm not sure that it would be significantly better than the kit lens, from an optical standpoint. I suggest you read up on the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I got my 450d with the kit lens and the Tamron, and later sold the kit lens (something to consider if you're an ebayer). The kit lens was surprisingly good but the Tamron is definitely better, plus the wider & constant aperture has lots of advantages. I'm very pleased with mine.

Paul

Liz

Congratulations on choosing the XSi - awesome camera with great features and IQ.

If I were you I would seriously consider the Canon 50mm/f1.8. It's not a zoom; however, it is good in low light, good for portraits, street shooting, etc - and one of Canon's nicest lenses at $99. For that price, you could think about getting another lens later - when you have more time to decide.

Check this thread out - to see what this lens is capable of.

Another 50mm f1.8 Thread

Here are the lens specs/features listed at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

Liz

Thank guys for the input...I bumped into a used XSi body with the 18-85mm a 55-250mm a bunch of filters, Tamrac bag, extra battery, memory card and other stuff, all bundled at a "cant resist" price tag and I made the jump.
    Officialy I´m a Canon owner yipyyy!

Hopefully I will have my paws on the equipment by sometime next month.

I think I´ll be happy with the lenses for starters, tho I´m tempted to change that Telefoto for a 70-300mm in the near future.

Liz yes! I have my eye fixed on the 50mm f1.8 I´ve read its a killer lens for the money...that will probably be my next glass to add to the collection. :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Thank guys for the input...I bumped into a used XSi body with the 18-85mm a 55-250mm a bunch of filters, Tamrac bag, extra battery, memory card and other stuff, all bundled at a "cant resist" price tag and I made the jump.
    Officialy I´m a Canon owner yipyyy!

Hopefully I will have my paws on the equipment by sometime next month.

I think I´ll be happy with the lenses for starters, tho I´m tempted to change that Telefoto for a 70-300mm in the near future.

Liz yes! I have my eye fixed on the 50mm f1.8 I´ve read its a killer lens for the money...that will probably be my next glass to add to the collection. :thumbsup:
    Congratulations! That's a great combo you got there - with extras added. I just ordered the XSi myself from B&H and a 50mm/f1.8. I have the Oly E-P1 and really love it. However, I miss those awesome images that come out of the dslr. I think I'm going to "trade" my E-P1 for the E-PL1 for my every day camera and use the XSi for the more serious photography.

Liz

Gee guys and gals…I’m jealous :cryin:

Quote Originally Posted by apass
    Gee guys and gals…I’m jealous :cryin:

I`ll let you play with my Canon every now and then Dad

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Congratulations! That's a great combo you got there - with extras added. I just ordered the XSi myself from B&H and a 50mm/f1.8. I have the Oly E-P1 and really love it. However, I miss those awesome images that come out of the dslr. I think I'm going to "trade" my E-P1 for the E-PL1 for my every day camera and use the XSi for the more serious photography.

Liz
    Awesome Liz I cant wait to see some shots of yours with the new XSi

I will also have the tough decision of selling my Oly E-420....its been good with me, and I really like it....but some how I have to finance the incoming Canon

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it is sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF
    I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it is sharp.
    Yeap...you can´t go wrong with that lens....great piece for the price.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Hey, thank you so much for your comments are very useful, normally i prefer
    Nikkor DX 18-200mm VR f/3.5-5.6,
    Nikkor DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5,
    Nikkor DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6,
    Nikkor DX 18-55mm II f/3.5-5.6

Thread Information