Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Recommended internet camera sites and sites to avoid

Welcome to the "CAMERA DEALER FEEDBACK" forum. PLEASE READ!!!

I personally read every post and usually check several times each day. The last time changes were needed was November 21st, 2011 :thumbsup:
    I went through the threads in the Dealer Feedback Forum and compiled two lists of sites. One that members have had problems with and also a list that they have had good dealings with. Use it for what it's worth. It is also recommended to check with http://www.resellerratings.com/topstores.pl for the latest information on any site or if you have a site that is not on the list and see how the site you are interested in is rated before placing any orders.

Any address in Brooklyn, New York is recommended to stay clear of per members comments.

About Amazon.com....
    I have used Amazon several times in the past and have had great service, BUT!!! Lately Amazon has decided to just let anyone sell on their site. My suggestion before ordering from Amazon is to check out just who you are dealing with for your specific purchase. Very often the people you will be dealing with is NOT Amazon and IS a seller on the list of sites to avoid. So buyer beware and please take the time to check it out, BEFORE YOU PURCHASE.

Feel free to post new recommended sites or sites to avoid in this thread or in a new one of your own for either list and I will check them out and keep these lists updated as needed. I would like to add that I do NOT have any connections with any of the sites on either list. These are lists compiled from member's comments to assist fellow members and visitors in their research of where to purchase equipment. Hopefully this information will help in you having a better online experience.

I want to take the time to let you know how I have been updating these lists. For starters they have been updated several times. I read every post that is placed on the CAMERA DEALER FEEDBACK FORUM whether it is posted on the STICKY or main threads and check out what people have to say PRO or CON about each site, then I check it out to see what information can be found to support the statement made and go from there. I do not arbitrarily add or remove sites from either list due to an individual making a statement because my goal is to make it something that everyone can count on as a reference before buying.

Some sites have been suggested to add to the RECOMMENDED list by an individual and after checking them out I found that they did have a good rating but only a few sales over a long period of time that can support the reviews. My goal is to check the suggestion out here and by doing research on each one to find out if I feel there is enough support of the claim to add or remove them to either list before taking any action. Does this mean that maybe some have been left off a list that could be added? Sure it does and I will be glad to check out any suggestions that you may PM to me. I do not claim to be the authority on all the web sites out there but I can assure you that I have checked each one that has been mentioned before placing it on a list. Some sites I didn't get enough input on to convince me one way or the other.

Any site talked about no matter how good or bad will have reviews stating the opposite of what your experience might have been , but I try and get an overall feeling about a site by several sources before taking any action PRO or CON. Feel free to send me anything you might want to be considered for either list, Jeff

NOTE: ALL UPDATES THAT I MAKE WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE TWO LISTS BELOW IN THIS POST YOU ARE READING. THIS WAY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SCROLL THROUGH ALL THE THREADS TO GET UPDATES. THIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE LOCATION WITH THE MOST UP TO DATE INFORMATION THAT I HAVE, JEFF

RECOMMENDED SITES that members are happy with

Adorama
    B&H Camera
    Beach camera
    Buydig
    Cameta
    Canoga Camera
    Hunt's Photo & Video
    Normancamera
    One Call

These are sites that have been suggested to avoid
    1 Stop Camera & Computers
    1 Stop Camera & Electronics
    1wayphoto
    4U Digital
    5thavedigital
    86photovideo
    86th streetphoto&video
    A&M photo World
    Abe's
    Ace Photo Digital
    allpcgenius.
    AMDV
    amphotoworld
    Banana Boat Camera
    Best Buy
    Best Price Camera
    Best Stop Camera
    Broadway photo
    BuyeRetail
    bwayphoto
    C.I.S. Brokerage Inc.
    C.I.S. Trading System
    camcordergenius
    Camera City, Inc.
    cameraaddict
    CameraClub
    cameragiantsinc
    cameratopia
    CCI Camera City
    cellulargenius
    centraldigital
    Century 21
    CIS Brokerage Inc.
    CityWideDigital.com
    CloseOutGenius
    closeoutgenius
    Crystal International Services Inc.
    Dbuys
    deltacamera
    diduprice
    Digital EBuys
    Digital Liquidaters
    Digital Net Shop
    digitalliquidators
    Digitalmegastore
    DigitalNerds
    digitalsfuture
    Enterprise Photo
    ePhoto Club
    every price
    Expresscameras
    fifthavedigital
    filter planet
    FotoConnection
    Fotospirit
    Hello Camera
    HotBuyElectronics
    Hotbuyselectronics
    IBuyDigital
    Ibuyplasma
    Infiniti Cameras
    Infiniti Photo
    Infinity Cameras
    Inoax
    J&K Cameras, Inc.
    kingcameras
    L and T elecronics
    landtelectronics
    lensesnmore
    lensesnmore
    lowpricedigital
    MilleniumCamera.
    Mivastyle
    Mr. Accessory
    myrtleelectronics
    navigenius
    needfordigital
    NetShoping.US
    nomorerack.com
    NWV Direct
    One Stop Camera & Computers
    ontimedigital
    PhotoDynasty
    plasmagenius
    preferedphoto
    Prestge Camera
    pricetopia
    pricingdepot
    projectorgenius
    provideosound
    Quest4cameras
    Razz
    RealDealShop
    receivergenius
    Regal camera
    Regency Camera
    Regency Photo & Video, Inc.
    Rite Buys
    Royal Camera
    Royal Camera, Inc.
    sharpestbuys
    shopcartusa
    shopdigitalcorp
    shopdigitaldirect
    ShopSunshine
    slrgenius
    Soniccameras
    soniccameras
    stopandshopdigital
    Superior Dealz
    Taaffephoto
    The Camera Source Inc
    The New Connection
    The Wiz Store
    Thecameraprofessionals
    thedigitalexpo
    Time2envy
    tri-state
    tronicity
    TVs Depot
    USA Photo Nation
    wilddigital
    WiseTronics
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 02-24-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Recommended Sites and Sites to Avoid
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

You can add Cameta, Calumet, and Hunt's Photo & Video to the good guys :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Bump so the thread doesn't get lost, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great job Grandpaw. It's appreciated that you took time to do this.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Grandpaw - thanks for the help. When it looks to good to be true, it usually isn't true.

Has anyone done business with RAZZ PHOTO? It looks too good to be true ....

J03

Grandpaw or the other, has anybody bought an item in Shop Sunshine (http://www.shopsunshine.com)? Do you think it is recommended store? It offers decent price. Check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by J03
    Grandpaw or the other, has anybody bought an item in Shop Sunshine (http://www.shopsunshine.com)? Do you think it is recommended store? It offers decent price. Check it out...
    First of all welcome to our site. Shop Sunshine gives an address of Brooklyn, New York. Any address in Brooklyn would be wise to AVOID per members comments, Jeff
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 10-28-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by F44EVER
    Has anyone done business with RAZZ PHOTO? It looks too good to be true ....
    Welcome to our site. I haven't seen anything on Razz Photo good or bad but someone may come along with an answer. My suggestion would be to use one of the recommended sites. When prices are much lower than anyone of the recommended sites there is usually a good reason, Jeff

J03

Thank Grandpaw. So it seems that you told me, I should AVOID this store. Am I right?

J03

Smile Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    First of all welcome to our site. Shop Sunshine gives an address of Brooklyn, New York. Any address in Brooklyn would be wise to AVOID per members comments, Jeff
    Thank Granpaw. So it seems I should AVOID this store. Am I right Grandpaw?

Thank Grandpaw. So it seems that you told me, I should AVOID this store. Am I right?
    There are so many good, reputable dealers out there. Why take a chance just to try and save a couple $$$? My 2 cents

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thank Granpaw. So it seems I should AVOID this store. Am I right Grandpaw?
    YES!!!!! It is always very tempting to get the better deal, everyone want's to get the most for their dollar but choosing off the recommended list will definitely improve your chances of having a better experience online. Nothing is 100% fool proof but it is always better to have the odds in your favor. The sites listed have ALL had good reviews by fellow members, Jeff

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I looked up Razz photo and some alarms started going off. Full 1 year warranty....doesn't say from manufacturer or that they are approved retailers.
    Went to tripods and there are a bunch listed but not one with a brand name. Anybody can label something professional.
    There was a phone number to contact so I'd call and ask things like, does it come with a battery and the full manufacturer package? Is that a manufacturer warranty? etc.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    You can add Cameta, Calumet, and Hunt's Photo & Video to the good guys :thumbsup:
    I see you already did it, but having done business with all of them I'd completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw

I live in Brooklyn and can remember there only being two camera equipment stores here. One was Abes of Maine (which i think is gone and only in New Jersey now) and there was one other on Mcdonald ave which may or may not still be around.
    A few years ago I was tempted by the "great" prices of Broadway Photo and decided to check them out. I noticed they had in their fine print a Brooklyn address. I had passed by the given address and found nothing. It is not even in a commercial zone area and was lined only with private houses.
    I gave them a call and discussed my interest in some equipment. I told them I could come and pick it up and avoid the high shipping rate they were charging. The rep was reluctant at first but then told me if I wanted to do that I would have to call the day before I was to come by and pay only in cash.
    This started sounding just too shady and I decided against dealing with them. I could just imagine if there was anything wrong with my product, the hard time I would have in dealing with them after they had my money.So while I can't say I had a bad experience with them, I just felt the whole process and smell of things was not right and never went through with it.
    At one point, I noticed alot of similiar ads with ridiculously low prices in the photo mags from "different" dealers but they all had the 718 area code listed in their fine print. My gut feeling was that this was the same people running diferent ads from seemingly different "store fronts" I would recommend avoiding anything with the 718 area code in their fine print.(718 is Brooklyn, Queens and most of the Bronx)
    I can personally recommend dealing with Adorama and Amazon.com I have been to Adoramas store in the city many times and find them to be very professional, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.
    Amazon.com is where I do most of my buying from because their prices are usually very good. I usually get free shipping on almost everything I get from them and I receive my stuff with 2-3 days. Never a problem with them either.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

For anyone in Canada - I highly recommend www.cameracanada.com
    I've bought my last 4 cameras from them. They are very knowledgeable, have steered me away from lenses that were the right price but they didn't consider the best quality, and if you don't live in Ontario - you save the provincial tax. Overnight or 2 day delivery! super fast and never had a problem!
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

its odd to see beachcamera on the ok list but buydig on the bad list, since they are the same company. also, a good resource is www.resellerratings.com.

I'm surprised to see Buydig on the bad list. I have made all my camera and lens purchases with them and always had same day shipping and the item was always in new condition and delivered earlier than promised.

Please reconsider moving Buydig off the bad boys list. They always seem to have the best prices too. I would be hesitant to put someone on the bad boy list over one bad review. The online shop reviews have Buydig very high on the list of customer satisfaction.

(edit)
    In fact I just did a search for Buydig and I found many many good responses and only one bad response so it is not fair to have them on the bad boy list.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Consider it done! Just to give everyone an update, BuyDig has been moved to the recommended list and I have also added Beach Camera to the list, Jeff

Jeff, another good site is "Central Camera" http://www.centralcamera.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=13

I've dealt with them several times and no funny business. Just placed the order and within days had it in hand. they also had some chemicals and stuff at better prices than B&H or adorama. Good selection also.

Also add Freestyle Photographic Supplies to the good guys list. Lots of film and paper and chemicals and again, no monkeyshines.
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=0

One more good site: "KEH.com Cameras and used cameras " http://keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm

I've dealt with all the above and found them reliable and reputable.

Thanks for making this list available.
    Michael

Please add KEH.com and RazzPhoto.com to the scumbag list. These kind of companies are the worst pieces of garbage on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    I just used nextweb to get a memory card, it's not here yet, but they claim to have already shippied it, and I just ordered it lastnight. I will update when it gets here.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hi,im sara and new! I just got my first digital camera a sony cybershot w80.I love it,its really easy to use and was £129 from a website called www.bigcitydigital.co.uk.The service was fantastic,i ordered my camera on the wednesday and received it thursday! I can totally recommend them.The man i spoke to was really helpful and i am thrilled!

Here are a few more store sites which are dependable.

Camera Hunter Store
    Frugal Photographer
    Midwest Photo Exchange

You can add these to the list
    Thanks
    Michael :-)
    I'll add the urls to these tomorrow.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information