Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Grandpaw, thanks for the effort you put into these lists. I only wish I had found it before I ordered a TV from Camera Addict. Turns out Camera Addict is just another name for Broadway Photo. These dishonest scammers do business under both names. You can add Camera Addict to the BAD list.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Hey, Grandpaw...being the moderator, can you update the sticky on good and bad sites to reflect those that have been added since it was put up.....an excellent sticky by the way. I just think new people would look at the sticky and miss the good and bad ones that have been added.

John
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

:thumbsup:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Hey, Grandpaw...being the moderator, can you update the sticky on good and bad sites to reflect those that have been added since it was put up.....an excellent sticky by the way. I just think new people would look at the sticky and miss the good and bad ones that have been added.

John

Thanks for the compliment. I want to take the time to let you know how I have been updating these lists. For starters they have been updated several times. I read every post that is placed on the CAMERA DEALER FEEDBACK FORUM whether it is posted on the STICKY or main threads and check out what people have to say PRO or CON about each site, then I check it out to see what information can be found to support the statement made and go from there. I do not arbitrarily add or remove sites from either list due to an individual making a statement because my goal is to make it something that everyone can count on as a reference before buying.

Some sites have been suggested to add to the RECOMMENDED list by an individual and after checking them out I found that they did have a good rating but only a few sales over a long period of time that can support the reviews. My goal is to check the suggestion out here and by doing research on each one to find out if I feel there is enough support of the claim to add or remove them to either list before taking any action. Does this mean that maybe some have been left off a list that could be added? Sure it does and I will be glad to check out any suggestions that you may PM to me. I do not claim to be the authority on all the web sites out there but I can assure you that I have checked each one that has been mentioned before placing it on a list. Some sites I didn't get enough input on to convince me one way or the other.

Any site talked about no matter how good or bad will have reviews stating the opposite of what your experience might have been , but I try and get an overall feeling about a site by several sources before taking any action PRO or CON. Feel free to send me anything you might want to be considered for either list, Jeff

I would like to add that when something is changed that the original post has been edited so you do not have to go through all the replies to see what is new. The original lists change and are updated. :thumbsup:
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're good, grandpaw! Sorry I didn't notice that he sticky got updates.....just thought it was the original list.
    Keep Shooting!

Talking Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Hello. I'm new to this site. I've used Nikon 35mm film cameras for over 40 years and want to buy a digital SLR. There is a lot of difference in pricing from dealers on-line. Has anyone had any experience with a dealer "Lenses and More?" How can a dealer advertise a "new in-the-box Nikon camera body" and it not include a battery or battery charger which Nikon says is packaged with the product? It really is buyer-beware isn't it? I've bought a lot of camera equipment via internet (no camera bodies) and never had any problems but don't want to end up on the short end of the bargain buying a camera. Also, when it says ". . . U.S.A. Warranty" does that mean Nikon Warranty or am I just wishful thinking. Thanks for any help.
    Old Timer:

Quote Originally Posted by bluechaindrive
    Hello. I'm new to this site. I've used Nikon 35mm film cameras for over 40 years and want to buy a digital SLR. There is a lot of difference in pricing from dealers on-line. Has anyone had any experience with a dealer "Lenses and More?" How can a dealer advertise a "new in-the-box Nikon camera body" and it not include a battery or battery charger which Nikon says is packaged with the product? It really is buyer-beware isn't it? I've bought a lot of camera equipment via internet (no camera bodies) and never had any problems but don't want to end up on the short end of the bargain buying a camera. Also, when it says ". . . U.S.A. Warranty" does that mean Nikon Warranty or am I just wishful thinking. Thanks for any help.
    Old Timer:
    First of all let me welcome you to our site! We hope you will stick around and be part of our photographic community. There are many knowledgeable and friendly folks willing to help you here so join in and be an active part of our forums. I checked with resellerratings.com and "Lenses and More" have ALL BAD REVIEWS!!! DO NOT USE THEM.........

I have posted lists here and information at the beginning of the post that you are now reading that will help you choose a seller.

This is what people had to say about "Lenses and More".
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Lenses_N_More

As far as the warranty, you want a manufactures warranty. When they say U.S.A. warranty they are sometimes talking about a third party warranty offered by an American company that may or may not be any good. You are doing the right thing by asking questions and doing research FIRST and not after you find out that you have been had! Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff is 100% correct. If its too good to be true it is. Places like Lenses and More take your order on line then want you to call to confirm so they can up-sale and bait and switch you. The good sites listed will have manufacturers warranty and will give excellent customer service, be willing to answer your questions and won't bs you to death.
    Keep Shooting!

Thanks for the good information. I will do the research and hopefully avoid the sleaze. I look forward to checking this site often.
    Old Timer

FWC

Post Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

I found this on the BBB site regarding Broadway. Below is the BBB url:

http://search.newyork.bbb.org/report...age=1&id=68047

There seem to be multiple locations, however the BBB report is the same for all locations. Quite a list of numbers and sites that per the BBB are related to Broadway. With all credit to the BBB, below is an example of the some of the information found:

Name:
    BROADWAY PHOTO
    Address:
    337 East 89th Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11236

Principal:
    Ben Z. Cohen, President
    Phone Number:
    (718) 338-1800

Websites:
    www.bwayphoto.com
    BuyeRetail.com
    www.amphotoworld.com
    www.cameratopia.com
    www.digitalliquidators.com
    www.kingcameras.com
    www.preferedphoto.com
    www.preferredphoto.com
    www.prestigecamera.com
    www.regalcamera.com
    www.thedigitalexpo.com
    www.tronicity.com
    www.wilddigital.com

RAZZPHOTO- SCAM!
    Purchased 2 lithium ion batteries on a buy one get one free special. Thought I was getting canon brand but was sent digital concepts instead. Researched the prices I could have paid online for that brand and felt I was ripped off. Looked as if I could have gone to other sites and paid $40 for 2 as opposed to the 189.99 that I paid.

Does anyone have any experience with US Camera?

They have the Canon xSI 45d 2756Boo3 kit for $694.99.
    thanks, TwinCreek

Thumbs down Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

We have had a dreadful experience with shopxtreme.com - not to be confused with what is, I suspect a reputable dealer known as shopextreme that sells camera equipment.

We ordered a new battery for my son's new birthday camera. We used this website (the shopxtreme one) and have been horrified.

The first battery came - not just wrong, but was just some random foreign battery that was not even close to what we ordered.
    We sent it back. And we have waited over a month for some communication from them, with no luck.

They have no customer service, refuse to answer emails, do not answer the toll free phone number and have been reported to the BBB of Mass. so many times that the clerk could not even begin to count.

Steer clear of this company, but like so many, they will sprout up as another website to rip off more people.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ShopXtreme

I believe that rating is even lower than Broadways.
    Keep Shooting!

I will chip in and add a local store here in the Austin, TX area: Precision Camera and Video....their inventory is great and I find about 95% if their inventory is right in line with B&H or Adorama. Of course, if you live in Texas, you pay sales tax, but outside of the state, sales are tax free.

I live in Austin and the folks are very nice, so I opt to pay the tax to support a local business that has been around for a LONG time...

www.precision-camera.com

Cheers,

Angry Re: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

Ordered a TV and received an email saying I need to confirm my delivery address. I call and it turns out to be a high pressure sales call for all sorts of upgrades with the sales rep talking a mile a minute. The sales rep claims that what I ordered is the Chinese model which does not come with any English instructions. I told him the web site did not say anything about this. He disagreed with me, told me to stop wasting his time and either upgrade to the English at twice the price or take the Chinese version. I asked where on the web site it said that i was ordering the Chinese version because I had the web page loaded on my computer in front of me. He swore at me, said the order was canceled and hung up on me. And now I'm worried that these scam artists have my credit card number!!

Ask yourself if this is the type of company you want to do business with.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy-george
    Ordered a TV and received an email saying I need to confirm my delivery address. I call and it turns out to be a high pressure sales call for all sorts of upgrades with the sales rep talking a mile a minute. The sales rep claims that what I ordered is the Chinese model which does not come with any English instructions. I told him the web site did not say anything about this. He disagreed with me, told me to stop wasting his time and either upgrade to the English at twice the price or take the Chinese version. I asked where on the web site it said that i was ordering the Chinese version because I had the web page loaded on my computer in front of me. He swore at me, said the order was canceled and hung up on me. And now I'm worried that these scam artists have my credit card number!!

Ask yourself if this is the type of company you want to do business with.
    You need to give us the name of the company for your post to do any good, Jeff

Sonic Cameras to be avoided

Be wary of promoted add-ons at inflated prices from internet camera sellers.
    Sonic Cameras prices selected big ticket items well below other sellers to get your initial order and then entices you to add highly touted overpriced accessories.
    Sonic Cameras is running this internet scam by pushing inferior accessories and lenses at inflated prices. A 2gig high-speed SD card for $279 is available elsewhere for under $20 (and there’s is not high-speed).

My quest to find a low price for a Canon XSI and a Canon zoom lens led me to Sonic Cameras in New York. After ordering thru the site, I received a phone call from salesperson M… asking for my credit card security number. This led to idle chat and his fake concern for my needs, especially to add “important” accessories and upgrades.

The initial inviting prices and their camera package (with more than I wanted) found me vulnerable. A $1,700 package of 12 items nearly doubled my original order total for the camera and a zoom lens.
    The package zoom was an old model Sigma, touted as better than the Canon zoom I originally ordered. Another example is a memory card reader for $75 ($4 elsewhere) plus a cheap tripod and canvas bag for grossly inflated prices. My own estimated value of this package is about $1,100.
    The printed invoice for this package showed $0 for each line item and $1,649.99 on the package line. Then $99 was added for ground shipping.

All phone call challenges and questions were always directed to salesperson M…, who attempted to justify the $2,400 value of the package. No items from the “package” were returnable (for refund); they can only be exchanged or upgraded.

Sonic Cameras is a greedy rip-off seller. If you must order from them (phone only) because of their low prices, adamantly stick to the exact items you want, not their touted substitutes and add-ons.

Just to let you know, Sonic Cameras is already on our LIST OF SITES TO AVOID. Thanks for you post, Jeff

Thanks!

Just want to say thank you to everyone who participates on this thread, especially Grandpaw for organizing the sticky at the top. It seems I was just spared from making a big mistake by purchasing from someone who's prices seemed too good to be true. I also wasn't aware of the "US warranty" vs. the manufacturers warranty. I stumbled upon the thread while searching for info on Razz photo and it didn't take long to figure their scaml out! Thanks again! I'll be stopping by regularly!

Glad you found it and welcome.
    Keep Shooting!

Welcome Seedy, I am glad you found some helpful and useful information on our site. There are many people here that will help in any way they can so stick around, participate, and be part of the fun, Jeff

All should avoid shopdigitaldirect.com as well. I was trying to order an NikonD60, and I was told to call them and confirm my order. I talked with Ken the supposed manager. He tried to convince me that I should upgrade the lenses because they were plastic. He attempted to rack my order to up over $1000 when the original package was only $789. When I told him I wasn't expecting to spend that much. He informed me that I was already up to $918.

He had included insurance for the camera, but I was never informed of such a price until he was trying to bait and switch me. I told him yet again that I wasn't willing to continue my order because by then I just wanted to get away from this company. I told him that I would like to cancel the order. He hung up on me!

Too add to it the area code is 888.,and they offer USA Warranties which I was unaware were bad until I read this forum. Thank you so much for providing this information

This is the second "bait and switch" company I have almost went through the first was Broadway the horrible horrible Broadway. I cancelled the both orders and decided that I personally needed to some research. At first I just asked friends what would be good sites

Don't use this site if you value your money!
    If anybody knows a good deal on a NikonD60 please let me know.
    I'd be willing to spend the money if it I know I'm not getting ripped off.
    Last edited by MCGKD; 10-11-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DickyCheung22
    I always buy from Amazon, didn't get any problem so far. Adorama is also another good choice. Just see a promotion on amazon offer 12 months financing on SLRs and lenses... really want to buy a new lense if they really offer no payment until 12 months.. will check the details first...
    Welcome to our site! :thumbsup: I have had good luck with Amazon myself but you need to watch very closely when you buy now. A Lot of times you are getting your purchase from a third party and some are bad dealers. When you check on an item recheck before buying because I have seen Amazon change dealers daily on an item I was looking at. I have also had good service from Adorama. Both of these are on the recommended list and thanks for taking the time to post your experience with these companies, Jeff

Thank Grampaw, this list should be on every photo forum on the net. I whole heartly agree with you that if the address is in Brooklyn, run away fast.
    I almost pulled the trigger on a deal from Broadway, but it seemed too good to be true.
    There are some price comparison sites that give these company high ratings which puts those sites in question.
    Always the BBB for any internet company. I might add that I found that you can find the address thought the BBB and do a search with Google maps Street View to get a look at the actual look at their storefront, if it exists.
    Thank you for the time required to make and update this list to keep us clear of the scammers.

http://www.centraldigital.com.
    far from this site.
    is the same company with
    http://www.prestigecamera.com/
    so as far as you can.
    Grandpaw update your list

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information