Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

anyone purchased or bought from this place

theres a site called www.thecamerasource.com there prices seem to good to be true!!! they have a P.O. box based out of brooklyn. BBB has no complaints about them. the prices seem too cheap, but the shipping is costly..... even with taxes and currency i'd save like over 2000 canadian on a DVX100a

i called them and seemed legit, hoping someone else heard of them?????

thanks.

oops

the URL is www.thecamerassource.com
    everytime i've called...i can barely hear the person...

Be wary of those "P.O. Boxes in Brooklyn" - a classic dodge for 'fly by night' operators. I checked a few Minolta models I am familiar with on their site, and they aren't at all competitive on the pricing.

And BBB reports are NOT to be relied upon. If a 'fly by night' operator is smart enough to make a quick splash in the market then a quick retreat, there will be no complaints registered on them while they're operating. That only comes after the damage has been done. Likewise, I have seen many cases over the years where 'shyster' operators pay their BBB dues, and thus have bad reports 'swept under the rug' because they're a member in good standing.

Two New York City operators that I know are legit, because I have dealt with them this year, are B&H Photo Video and 47th Street Camera. And of the two, I will most highly recommend B&H.

Always be careful to compute your Total Delivered Cost in comparing vendors. For example, I found this when buying a Maxxum 7 in June:

B&H - $399.99 for body, $24.95 for a 7-year Mack service plan, $11.00 shipping = $435.94

Two other major NY advertisers 'lowballed' the camera body at $364.95 - then wanted $75 for the same service plan, and $40-$60 shipping.

Shouldn't take a 'rocket scientist' to figure out - I bought from B&H.

For comparison, this site you mention lists the Maxxum 7 as $424.99 - and they actually list it as the Dynax 7 (the overseas name), leaving me to wonder if it is, in fact, a gray-market import they're offering. I didn't check the finer details any further.

thanks

thanks...

i decided i'll go to the shop up the street and buy it there and support my local economy...

Quote Originally Posted by SURREYskid
    thanks...

i decided i'll go to the shop up the street and buy it there and support my local economy...

If they aren't priced 'too far' beyond reason, then go for it!

If you find they are reasonably competitive, pricewise - and give good service - then
    A. Count your blessings, and
    B. Tell the WORLD about them - because the few 'good locals' who remain, need all the help they can get in today's market.

Thread Information