Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Unhappy Can a digital camara bought in England work on American PC?(Software)

I live in The Bahamas so therefor our PC's are U.S.. I'm on my way to England and want to purchass a digital camara but don't know if the software is the same as if I had bought it in the US. I've tried to buy it on the internet but as my creidit card is International and so is the shipping none of the sites I visited whould sell me one. Can anyone answer my question?
    Thanks

Can't imagine any problem other than warranty issues with buying something in another country. If you lived in the US, then Nikon - for example - wouldn't touch a camera bought in England. That's considered "grey market" merchandise. So you might want to check that out.

As far as the camera and software, I don't think there would be any difference. Jpegs are jpegs - not like VHS tapes which can have different formats. I know that http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ sells internationally. If you do buy from them then go to the link in the "Shop" page on this site - they help support this site that way.

Noting the date of your question, I suspect by now you've already bought it and know if it works.

Since the US companies pretty well set the global operating standards for PC's, and the Cameras are all built for a global market, I suspect a camera bought in England would work just fine.

The thing you'd most likely notice, in this case, might be the "English English" spellings of certain words in the on-screen displays. 'Colour' for 'Color', for example.

Thread Information