Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anyone ever sell gear to Adorama?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell C View Post
    I see they are very careful with your words, IF they said "$750 or less" the $750 quote being MINT all boxes etc etc, NOT a $750 thrown out then we will evaluate it, I understand you have overhead, insurance, profits, etc...........I will stop here, and wait for the phone call, as I sit here, I in my heart can not give my equipment away, just be fair.
    I think it IS fair......the shipping and insurance was covered for you to mail it in, and if you are not agreeable to the amount offered it will be sent back at our cost.

But if you want to maximize your returns then selling to a dealer is never going to net you as much as selling yourself on eBay or CraigsList.

I see they are very careful with your words, IF they said "$750 or less" the $750 quote being MINT all boxes etc etc, NOT a $750 thrown out then we will evaluate it, I understand you have overhead, insurance, profits, etc...........I will stop here, and wait for the phone call, as I sit here, I in my heart can not give my equipment away, just be fair.
    I do not recall being told it would sell for xxxx. I was given a number to expect to receive for my equipment. I would certainly hope that the representative would explain the number on the phone. 70% of the number I was quoted is not what I expected. I certainly understand overhead and profit. Again, like you, I will wait for the phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by indagarden View Post
    I do not recall being told it would sell for xxxx. I was given a number to expect to receive for my equipment. I would certainly hope that the representative would explain the number on the phone. 70% of the number I was quoted is not what I expected. I certainly understand overhead and profit. Again, like you, I will wait for the phone call.
    If you can email me with the date and time of your call plus the number you called from I can listen to the recording - but the estimate given over the phone is ALWAYS the expected re-sale value. It is never the sum that may be offered.

The Adorama used department get upwards of 1,800 pieces sent in for evaluation every week and at any given time there are 26 - 27,000 used items in the warehouse

The way the value is established is by using a calculation which takes into account the number of exact same units in the warehouse at the time of your trade; the average number of that same unit in stock over the past 6 months; the average selling price of the unit over the past 6 months and projected decreases in the pre-owned market in the coming months due to new models becoming available.
    In addition, the selling prices on the website can only be a ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much the used department might be able to pay you for your gear.
    When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the used department will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock (which may have been warehoused and therefore costing the company revenue for days, weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price that was originally paid.
    While you will be offered 70% of the current re-sale value (as calculated above), unless you are selling a genuine collectors' piece, in my experience you shouldn't expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price you see on our website. If you do, then it’s a bonus.

Liz

Darrell,

I would just like to make a comment from my own personal experience with selling photography equipment. I have sold cameras and lenses here and there to a few stores besides Adorama, including B&H and KEH. Most dealers have the same type of policy as Adorama. The dealer will give you an estimate according to the current value of the item, and your description of the condition ahead of time. However, in every instance this is only an estimate. Then the item needs to go through the evaluation process by a professional before an actual quote can be given.

I have to say that IMHO, Adorama is one of the most generous buyers when it comes to giving the seller a fair price. Also, their customer service is always excellent. In our case at PR, we have Helen to assist us in the process. She always does everything in her power to help the Adorama customers who post on this website.

I hope you are pleased with the outcome. I do know you will get excellent customer service and a fair quote for your equipment. I say this from my own personal experience, and from following some of the situations that have been resolved by Helen on PR.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

I just had a very pleasing transaction through the Adorama trade in program. So much so that I am compelled to make a user name and register to this forum. BLUF I do not work nor am I associated with Adorama I am in the US Navy, out of Camp Pendleton Ca. I will lay out my full transaction with Adorama if anyone would like the particulars value etc. you can PM me. Thank you and many kudos to Helen , you have my vote for a increase in pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
    .......Thank you and many kudos to Helen , you have my vote for a increase in pay!
    Aaaahh.... from your mouth to the boss's ears!!!

You're not alone. I sent in a Canon T3i almost new with 2 lenses. Based on the price given plus the 70% calculation from the resale value I was hoping to get a decent deal but today I was told I can get only $400. Dissappointed :-S

Quote Originally Posted by photofan View Post
    You're not alone. I sent in a Canon T3i almost new with 2 lenses. Based on the price given plus the 70% calculation from the resale value I was hoping to get a decent deal but today I was told I can get only $400. Dissappointed :-S
    How do you mean, "the price given plus the 70% calculation from the resale value"?

The amount payable is up to 70% of what the used department expect to be able to resell it on the website. There is little doubt but that you will get more if you sell the pieces yourself on eBay or Craigslist. But ultimately, the 'value' is what someone is willing to pay!

well just an update, recd confirmation that my package had arrived on Oct 31, and would be contacted 5-7 business days, well today is day 9 and no word, guess I got lost in the shuffle...........tick toc

Liz

well just an update, recd confirmation that my package had arrived on Oct 31, and would be contacted 5-7 business days, well today is day 9 and no word, guess I got lost in the shuffle...........tick toc
    Just a reminder that Monday was a holiday....probably like weekends, not considered business day. I forgot that too and thought my bank had missed posting a deposit this week!

Hope it all works out for you.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

If you email me: Helen@adorama.com with your original estimate number I may be able to help. As the used department receives up to 2,000 pieces to evaluate every week it's not possible to ID you and your package from your posting on this forum!

Adorama made contact with me and I was disappointed in the amount. Helen checked the recording, and I was told 70%, but I really didn't remember hearing it. It's a valuable lesson for me. However, when the representative at Adorama contacted me, the amount offered was less than 70% of the original quote. I checked with B and H and also contacted Helen. Adorama matched the B and H quote. I give all credit to Helen, and thank her very much for her diligence. I would sell to Adorama again, but I would be very mindful of the 70% of the value they offer.

Thanks, Helen! I'm not sure I posted my experience in the correct place, so I wanted to make sure that I thanked Helen for her help with my trade in at Adorama.

Thanks for following up with the final info. And thanks to Helen for helping explain everything. I am very pleased that she checks in here and brings customer service to our forums
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks, Helen! I'm not sure I posted my experience in the correct place, so I wanted to make sure that I thanked Helen for her help with my trade in at Adorama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Thanks for following up with the final info. And thanks to Helen for helping explain everything. I am very pleased that she checks in here and brings customer service to our forums
    Always a pleasure to be able to help smooth over the rough patches - and thank YOU all, for allowing me the space to be here, so I can offer advice and support when needed.

Helen, we are very happy to have you here and appreciate all your efforts. It is rare that someone will go through the extra effort that you do to help those with problems. Thanks from me and from all the members that you have helped over the years, Jeff Impey

Well, I did talk to Jack @ Adorama this morning, re my D90 and D7000, our original conversation on the price was about $750 for both cameras, using their grading system I would put my cameras at E and E- which put their cameras for sale in same grade on their site to be valued at retail of $1150.......now 70% of that = $805 to me, their offer was $500, I told myself I would not go below $700, we could not meet so cameras are being mailed back, very interesting experience.

I asked Jack if they did a shutter count, as both cameras were under 10,000 one 2505 the other 9703......in camera terms NOTHING!
    Jack said they do not do shutter count, I then asked what grade they gave my cameras, his response was they did not grade the cameras, I was left numb struck.

and Helen thanks for the help, after I e-mailed you i got 3 e-mails the next day they were trying to call me
    Last edited by Darrell C; 11-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Jack said they do not do shutter count, I then asked what grade they gave my cameras, his response was they did not grade the cameras, I was left numb struck.
    They actually don't do shutter counts during the evaluation process; as I understand it, the time it takes in person-hours isn't felt to be worth the additional cost it would put on a unit. If a customer asks for a shutter count, provided we have the appropriate software, we do it at point-of-sale. (We can also provide a set of pictures of an actual item)

In terms of the grading; well, that isn't Jack's area. He simply heads the team that buys in gear. there is a separate team that examines, cleans and grades the units.

See my post #28 for how Jack's team work out the value.

BTW, I'm glad I was able to help - you know where I am if you need any additional support.

While I have no complaints about buying from Adorama selling them your gear is another matter all together. Take my advice and don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logix View Post
    While I have no complaints about buying from Adorama selling them your gear is another matter all together. Take my advice and don't do it.
    It sounds as though you have had an unresolved bad experience with the Adorama used department. Can you please email me with the details: Helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    It sounds as though you have had an unresolved bad experience with the Adorama used department. Can you please email me with the details

Why? You've been saying the same thing on this and other websites for years yet still people are getting screwed by Adorama.

Having purchased many thousands of dollars in new equipment I will have nothing more to do with Adorama.

Why? You've been saying the same thing on this and other websites for years yet still people are getting screwed by Adorama.

Having purchased many thousands of dollars in new equipment I will have nothing more to do with Adorama.
    Things HAVE been changing; I tackle every issue I come across. If you'd like to share your particular problem with me, I will address it.

The most commonly reported complaint, is as a result of an expectation that the amount the used department should be paying for gear, is the same as the individual could potentially realise selling themselves on eBay or Craigslist etc.

The second most common complaint is that the the used department doesn't buy in gear at the price it is advertised for sale. I do say regularly, that while 70% of the current re-sale value will be offered, generally nobody should expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price posted on the Adorama website - because the used department will be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock (which may have been warehoused and therefore costing the company revenue for days, weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price that was originally paid.

As the used department get more than 1,800 pieces sent in for evaluation every week, and only a tiny fraction of those owners request return of their gear rather than the payment offered, it seems there is still a gap in the market for this service.

I look forward to hearing from you: Helen@adorama.com

Thanks for the PM Helen, as posted in this thread that Adorama's used purchasing agent Jack Gold and I could not reach an agreement re: buying my camera gear, my equipment was sent back to me at no cost. Jack had mentioned if i wanted to purchase in the future he would give additional discount as a gesture of good will, I spoke to Jack this AM and we worked out a new purchase for a Nikon 80-400G AF-S lens, he kept his word and in all things worked out well, my new lens is on it's way, thanks Helen and Jack my wounds are healed JK

Thanks for the PM Helen, as posted in this thread that Adorama's used purchasing agent Jack Gold and I could not reach an agreement re: buying my camera gear, my equipment was sent back to me at no cost. Jack had mentioned if i wanted to purchase in the future he would give additional discount as a gesture of good will, I spoke to Jack this AM and we worked out a new purchase for a Nikon 80-400G AF-S lens, he kept his word and in all things worked out well, my new lens is on it's way, thanks Helen and Jack my wounds are healed JK
    Delighted to see this - and thank you so much for posting the outcome.

I would still very much like details of the issues so I can investigate: Helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    I would still very much like details of the issues so I can investigate:
    You keep waiting. After my experience I will have NOTHING further to do with Adorama again.

I will make sure that everyone I know hears of my experience and also never deals with your company again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information