ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Your Main Camera Is? Quick Poll

I just discovered that we've never run a poll on what cameras our community uses most. So I just posted one.

My main camera is a...

Please vote. I'm really curious now that I realize we never did this poll. I am espeically curious about how many member we have who's main cameras are full frame DSLRs, compact system cameras, or film cameras.

Thanks for voting! Oh yeah - please feel free to share the poll, too. You don't have to be registered to vote. The more people the better
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Your Main Camera Is? Quick Poll

35mm SLR, I'm more apt to grab my Nikon FM2 with a 50mm 1.8 lens then my digital.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

You are an anachronism, Axle ;-P

I confess, I don't really have one main camera. That's because my camera choices are mostly dictated by what I am reviewing at the moment. For the past few weeks, that's been the Fujifilm X10. But when I don't have a review camera or I want to use something that's absolutely familiar and intuitive, I use my Canon EOS 7D. That puts me right in line with the rest of the PhotographyREVIEW.com community - at 100 votes (give or take a few), it looks like about half of our members' go-to camera is an APS-C sensor digital SLR, with about 1/3 using a full-frame digital SLR.

I have to admit, I was surprised how many of you are using full frame cameras. But it's cool to see the level of commitment to the craft here. Spending the extra dough for the full frame sensor means you're pretty serious about your photos.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post

I have to admit, I was surprised how many of you are using full frame cameras. But it's cool to see the level of commitment to the craft here. Spending the extra dough for the full frame sensor means you're pretty serious about your photos.
    The number of people using full-frame sensors doesn't really surprise me. I mostly shoot fashion and studio next to other advanced amateurs and professionals. In the past 12 months there have been as many full-frame users as APS-C ones. In fact almost all the professionals that I know are full-frame now.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    The number of people using full-frame sensors doesn't really surprise me. I mostly shoot fashion and studio next to other advanced amateurs and professionals. In the past 12 months there have been as many full-frame users as APS-C ones. In fact almost all the professionals that I know are full-frame now.
    I'm not surprised at the number of pros using full frame cameras, I'm surprised at the number of people posting in *our* poll. Because that means that's how many of our users have full frame cameras. I didn't expect that many here. And I am pleased to see it
    Photo-John

GB1

Full frames Rule!

One thing I don't like about my full frame D700 is how my full frame lenses have soft corners. Use the same lens on a C sensor camera (I think that's what they call them) and it's sharp. But this advantage disappears when using a digital sensor lens.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'd get a full frame if I could afford it and don't have any plans to become professional.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Full frames Rule!

One thing I don't like about my full frame D700 is how my full frame lenses have soft corners. Use the same lens on a C sensor camera (I think that's what they call them) and it's sharp. But this advantage disappears when using a digital sensor lens.
    That's APS-C.

Which full-frame lenses have soft corners on the D700?

My DX lenses designed for the smaller sensor have been great, hardly ever needed to worry about sharpness. But now I'm thinking of going back to full-frame and my whole stock of full-frame lenses dates from the days of film...
    Charles

Hello to all on the forum. My main camera is a Canon T2i.
    Canon T2i YN-465 flash

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Of the photographers I know, full frame is a function of discretionary income at least as much as it is of commitment (and I am including myself). – Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Full frames Rule!

GB I haven't been full frame long but to get sharp corners on my wide lenses I have to stop down. I have to stay f8 and higher. There is no place for a lens to hide on a full frame body. It's a lens issue not sensor.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Of the photographers I know, full frame is a function of discretionary income at least as much as it is of commitment (and I am including myself). – Terry
    We're at the end of a 3-4 year life cycle (just before the Olympic Games). Prices of last-generation full-frame DSLR's like the 5DMk2 and D700 have dropped below what I paid for my APS-C D300 4 years ago.

I've been sitting tight for 4 years, putting aside a bit of money every now and again to be ready for the next generation. Up to a few months ago I was thinking of staying with APS-C but now I'll just follow the crowd.
    Charles

even if i had he cash for full frame, i'd still be shooting aps-c.... their are DISADVANTAGES to full frame.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    We're at the end of a 3-4 year life cycle (just before the Olympic Games). Prices of last-generation full-frame DSLR's like the 5DMk2 and D700 have dropped below what I paid for my APS-C D300 4 years ago.

I've been sitting tight for 4 years, putting aside a bit of money every now and again to be ready for the next generation. Up to a few months ago I was thinking of staying with APS-C but now I'll just follow the crowd.
    You won't be sorry. I can't speak for Nikon but my Sony a850 has a lot more color depth and dynamic range than my a77, NEX7. It is nice to have that and not have to push things so far in post or have to try HDRs. So many compare noise levels at high ISOs and use that as a guide to buy a camera. That's a big mistake and one I have made.
    The noise levels of the a77 compared to the a850 are very similair. But the a850 spanks the a77s butt as far as image quality.
    With Nikon glass and FF you will be very happy. The key to FF is to have the glass to back it up. Late summer I hope to have a couple of Carl Zeiss lenses.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
    Hello to all on the forum. My main camera is a Canon T2i.
    Welcome to the site. Did you vote in the poll? Maybe you already know this but your Canon T2i is an APS-C digital SLR. APS-C refers to the physical dimensions of the sensor
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    You won't be sorry. I can't speak for Nikon but my Sony a850 has a lot more color depth and dynamic range than my a77, NEX7. It is nice to have that and not have to push things so far in post or have to try HDRs. So many compare noise levels at high ISOs and use that as a guide to buy a camera. That's a big mistake and one I have made.
    The noise levels of the a77 compared to the a850 are very similair. But the a850 spanks the a77s butt as far as image quality.
    With Nikon glass and FF you will be very happy. The key to FF is to have the glass to back it up. Late summer I hope to have a couple of Carl Zeiss lenses.
    Now that's the sort of thing I like to hear.

Having compared my stuff with many others shot at the same time - the end result is dependent on the skill and vision of the photographer rather than the camera (surprise).

However the result from a FF camera used by a good pro is very nice indeed, even as a web page (which is the main output from our shoots). However it's difficult to compare exactly because the pros that I shoot with always do post-production to give a particular look whereas I just do straight shots mostly.
    Charles

Only camera: 5dmkII

"Backup" to me means "different battery."

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    Only camera: 5dmkII

"Backup" to me means "different battery."
    My back up is a baby Glock.....LOL So you have your choice which to get shot with. a850 or 45gap

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information