ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

Well I work for the local school system and they were doing away with a darkroom. They haven't teached photography in many years. They tought fifth graders how to develop and print. I was given some equipment a couple of weeks ago, basically everything I needed short of fixer and stop bath which I had. Most of the developer was way out of date as with the paper. But not having anything else to do I thought I would practice. At first I started with 5x7s which was a disaster from the start. After two days of growing pains in which I think I made every mistake imaginable. I give up in frustartion. I figured I was fighting old developer, paper, ignorance or all three. So today I thought I would try some 8x10s. After a couple of shots at some test strips I figured out exposure, then after a few more rookie mistakes I finally got some that resembled a picture. This wasn't the best of the lot the best one got a couple of water spots on it during clean up. More growing pains. But forward I go. I think as little B&W film as I shoot my film scanning days are over, also I am not a happy snapper. I am pretty selective with my stuff. But best of all I did it all without a computer mouse. If you have never printed in a darkroom you don't know what your missing.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    If you have never printed in a darkroom you don't know what your missing.

I agree Greg.
    The magic of seeing the image developing in the bath is one of the most exciting (dare I say it, emotional) experiences in photography. Most of the images I enjoy viewing are those of the old masters and continue to be amazed by the work they produced.
    Personally I would consider going back to it if environmentally friendly developers and fixers become available. I never was good in the darkroom and everything was done trial and error. Ironically I have been doing more film recently and scanning the negs.
    With digital of course we have to consider disposal of the inks.
    I have stopped printing all together now and get an online printer to do it for me.
    I find this to be the most economical way for me.
    But there is something about the whole digital process and it's marketing that I don't feel comfortable with, but that's another story.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond View Post
    I agree Greg.
    The magic of seeing the image developing in the bath is one of the most exciting (dare I say it, emotional) experiences in photography. Most of the images I enjoy viewing are those of the old masters and continue to be amazed by the work they produced.
    Personally I would consider going back to it if environmentally friendly developers and fixers become available. I never was good in the darkroom and everything was done trial and error. Ironically I have been doing more film recently and scanning the negs.
    With digital of course we have to consider disposal of the inks.
    I have stopped printing all together now and get an online printer to do it for me.
    I find this to be the most economical way for me.
    But there is something about the whole digital process and it's marketing that I don't feel comfortable with, but that's another story.
    Though I haven't seen them there is talk at RFF, Rangefinderforum, about the eniviromental friendly developers. I had always thought it harmless anyway.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

From what I read, the environmental impact caused by home hobbyist is minimal. Black and white chemistry less so than color.

That said, I do plan to resume color film processing in the near future, and hopefully some color printing. The last darkroom I had was in 1986 or so. I wish I had never put that equipment in a garage sale.

I will be building a small dry darkroom in the garage, first I have to clean out the garage

Phil

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I built a small B&W darkroom in my basement back in 2004. I was taking a photo class at the university 20 miles away. I figured it would be easier for me to do my assignments at home instead of trying to find time to drive to the school and hope that the lab was available. I remember spending several hours in the lab making not much more than a mess of my photos. Every mistake I made was something to learn from, and something that made me want to get back into the lab and try again until I got it right. I still have all of the equipment in the basement, but it hasn't been used in a while.

Every once in a while I get the urge to do some B&W shooting and after developing a couple rolls, I remember why I like digital so much. I wouldn't trade the dark room experience for anything, but I'm not in any hurry to go back to it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

It's the smell of the darkroom that gets me going. Just not the same to sit down to the digital darkroom. And it's not nearly as good of a make out place if your 20 years old and just learning photography.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    It's the smell of the darkroom that gets me going.

Someone should make fixer scented air freshener.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973 View Post
    Someone should make fixer scented air freshener.
    Yeah you could spray some around while you were editing in
    Lightroom.

Sony a99/a7R

n8

Man, I wish I had more time in the darkroom to appreciate like you guys do. I do remember the excitement of finally getting the right exposure to get the pictures done, but there's something about being 15-17 and developing for a school newspaper/yearbook that probably limited my appreciation for the art. I did get quite a kick out of making my 7th hour english teacher smell my hands to prove why I was late. I think it would be neat to get back into, although I'm sure I'd get the equipment, use it once and forget about it.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Might as well spray some developer or stop bath scent around too.

I hope I can make some time to develop a few rolls this evening.

Phil

Thanks all. I have been printing on and off all day. I am finally getting the hang of it. Aaron has helped me along. I need some filters to cap it off. The oldest of the Dektol works as well as the paper I am set for a long time. I am going to concentrate on shooting for the next couple of week. I got to get out of the darkroom before I get a divorce. LOL

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information