ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: You, this site & photography

These words ALWAYS go through my mind, "if I get paid for a shoot, what if I mess up their pictures?"

Well, if it's portraits, you reshoot. If it's something else like an event - well - you work something out and/or refund the $$. People generally understand that stuff happens. (See my most recent blog entry about the things that went wrong on a recent paid shoot! http://forums.photographyreview.com/...howjournal&j=5) However, if you generally find that you don't screw things up when shooting for yourself, I think you'll find that you won't screw it up when being paid either. I'm not saying this to be cheeky, I'm trying to be encouraging. Utterly screwing up is a fear of mine, as well, every time I shoot for $$. If you really want to be a commercial photographer, though, I strongly encourage you to take a deep breath and go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    I would say I'm a #3.

I have a website that my hubby made but I haven't done any advertising because I lack self confidence, big time.

These words ALWAYS go through my mind, "if I get paid for a shoot, what if I mess up their pictures?"
    Alison, I agree with what the others have said. Your portraits have inspired me to occasionally give it a try, something I probably would not have done if I had not seen your images.

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    However, if you generally find that you don't screw things up when shooting for yourself, I think you'll find that you won't screw it up when being paid either.....take a deep breath and go for it!
    I was going to bring this up, but do you really want to do it? No problem either way. From what I've seen your work is very good. Stuff happens, and things can be fixed. Of course, you do everything you can to make sure that problems don't happen but nobody's perfect. I don't want to sound like it's not a big deal to have a problem but it's not the end of the world either. Most of the jobs I did were on film, and even the lab could have messed up. The only control I had here was picking a good pro/custom lab which I felt was my responsibility - and I thought the chances of problems and inconsistencies would be much higher at a one-hour mini lab...

I'd really encourage you to take the leap - as long as you feel you're ready and you want to do it. And on being ready - I mean that you feel like the quality of your work is consistent. Should you be nervous before a shoot? Sure, if it feels like just another day at the office then you're more likely to run into trouble. I had plenty of obsessive rituals before a shoot.

I just read Megan's blog, and what I'm thinking of as a problem didn't happen to her. Fortunately she was able to get the battery and make it back in enough time, but not being entirely happy with the iconic shot is a whole different deal. I'm sure the client was pleased overall - and the desire to go back and get this shot exactly as you want it next year is what keeps you going. Like "another day at the office", loving everything you do is probably a bad thing. Oh, and congrats Megan!

Quote Originally Posted by megan

Well, if it's portraits, you reshoot. If it's something else like an event - well - you work something out and/or refund the $$. People generally understand that stuff happens. (See my most recent blog entry about the things that went wrong on a recent paid shoot! http://forums.photographyreview.com/...howjournal&j=5) However, if you generally find that you don't screw things up when shooting for yourself, I think you'll find that you won't screw it up when being paid either. I'm not saying this to be cheeky, I'm trying to be encouraging. Utterly screwing up is a fear of mine, as well, every time I shoot for $$. If you really want to be a commercial photographer, though, I strongly encourage you to take a deep breath and go for it!
    Thanks Megan.
    I have thought about suggesting re-shoots for portraits if I mess up.
    But someone's wedding? Now that's a different matter. And I have actually had alot of people say to me, "The photographer I paid over £1,000 for, I wasn't happy with the pics they got. I would have been better off having you take them and giving you the money." :blush2:
    Nice thought but weddings scare the hell out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by Copy_Kot
    Alison, I agree with what the others have said. Your portraits have inspired me to occasionally give it a try, something I probably would not have done if I had not seen your images.
    Thank you CK.
    It's nice to know that I inspire so many

1. and 7. I get paid for images, graphics, video, production: scripting and directing, and
    multi-media presentations. I sometimes do animation and art and sometimes
    subcontract it to my daughter who is an artist.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Oh, weddings are SO not for me! I have shot weddings, and they were the biggest tests of anti-perspirant known to humans. I won't do them. Can't stand doing them! So I understand that. (You're right. You can't reshoot...) But if you are really interested in going pro/commercial - you'll find your niche. It doesn't have to be events.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

most of the time you have to realize that even if you aren't exactly happy with the product, someone else may be. After all, they aren't pros. Just charge according to how good the product will be. Do not undercharge though, and do NOT do it for free. You're just screwing yourself over if you do either of those.

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

#1 for the last 28 years..I have made a good living from it..Toying with the idea of giving it all up and becoming a serious amateur again..Moving to Indochina by the end of this year (hopefully) with my wife Amanda who works in Development Aid ..Planning to teach English, write and do some real photography. :thumbsup:

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

I've sold note cards with my micro photography, landscapes or panoramas on them, and few framed panoramas I've sold, but just enough for pocket change.

Then I though of selling stock photos. What a shock! they are not happy with any thing smaller than 6 mega pixels. The majority of my images where taken with a Olympus C-3030 a 3.2 mega pixel camera. So most of my digital library is unusable, and with the horse stuff and being down sized at work (less money) getting out to take more photos is not happening.

So I'm staying a amateur photographer for some time into the future.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

I guess 4 and 6 for me. It would be nice if my hobby could help support itself. I didn’t get paid but I did get a small thrill from having some of my pictures from the Truck Show I attended show up in my works monthly newsletter. My focus right now is learning and not so much making money with photography. I have been asked by several people about doing weddings and portraits and am begging off for now. People see one or two of your really good pictures and automatically think they all come out that way. I am just not that comfortable with my skills yet. I echo Alison’s and Megan's feelings when it comes to shooting weddings for several reasons. 1. I think it is a big responsibility. 2. There hard enough to sit through let alone giving up your entire day and evening or more taking and processing the photos. If I ever do decide to do this for money I would lean toward Events (Minus Weddings). Having said that, Alison I think your stuff is fantastic and you would make a great portrait photographer or any other type for that matter.

#3) I'm just having fun, appreciate any advice, and maybe someday I'll become a pro.

I want to say answer 2 but I'm not doing everything I can to become a pro. I have too much on my plate to take this hobby to the next level although I'm taking it more serious than I ever have before. I got my business papers out of the way with the city including business tax ID, resellers' permit, and DBA. So I'm hoping to get paid for photography again. I was doing weddings 3 years ago. Wait, I was paid twice this year for two different jobs. Hmmmm....I don't think it counts. I'm doing a formal birthday party this Saturday so I hope it leads to some word of mouth exposure. I better have my business cards and website ready by then.

What is exciting is discovering the different outlets to making money with photography. I just bought this book (don't have it with me right now) and it discusses things from newspapers to stock photography. It actually list the contacts to different companies. I can't wait to try it.
    Last edited by poker; 04-16-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Yes, it definitely takes a special kind of photographer (with nerves of steel and the patience of an angel) to do weddings!

I guess I'm mostly a 3, but "pro" to me would most likely mean selling some fine art prints, not doing weddings or anything like that. And that's only a long term possibility. I'm a little interested in doing portraits, but I doubt that would ever turn into a job...at least not until I either retire or win the lottery. Actually, that's my plan. Win the lottery, travel the world taking photographs, return and publish a few books, then build a fort out of them because they're not selling. Or, something like that.

Seriously, I'm mostly in it for fun, self-expression, and the other perks like documenting the good times. If I can figure out a way to make some money, I might go for it, but I won't be quitting my day job any time soon.

I like what Almo said. This site has been an invaluable resource and it is because of this site that I started to take my photography more seriously. With out all the helpful and knowledgeable people here, I would probably have a lot less cameras and more money in the bank, but I wouldn't be having nearly as much fun with photography.

Thanks to all of you!

Paul

Wink Re: You, this site & photography

Arghh!! I was ordered under penalty of thirty lashes with a wet roll of 35mm film that I had to reply! Oh the suffering I must endure.... ;-)

Actually I'm torn between two choices:

#4) I'm just having fun, sharing, and appreciate any advice that will help me learn more.

#5) I'm just having fun, sharing, and do not need/want any advice.

Number five seems a little harsh, rude or anti-social. I don't intend to come across that way at all. I suppose I must recline on the psychiatrists couch for a little while and talk it through.....

I've been fascinated with photography for many years. My first real foray into photography was back in the 90's when I took several semesters of B/W 35 mm photography classes at the local community college. There I learned how to print my own pictures, develop my own film and play around with special effects and mounting as well as basics of my camera and how to frame up pleasing pictures. I really gained a LOT of appreciation for B/W pics during this time and shot a LOT of film. I knew I was no where near professional status and had no allusions to such.

Years later I added a cheep digital camera to my bag of goodies and starting really filling up with pics. It's one thing to shoot half a dozen rolls of film and get a few good shots, but now I could take hundreds of pics, avoid all the expense of film, developing and printing, and just get to the pics I enjoy! My camera was medium/low quality, but it was fun to use.

I began to have friends (and friends' friends...) start asking me to shoot their weddings. At first I was VERY nervous about this, but I let them know up front I was very much an amature photographer and did this just for fun. Eventually I upgraded to a nicer digital camera and have shot several weddings a year in the past few years. I regularly shoot a combination of digital and 35mm and end up with many hundred shots per event.

I still enjoy shooting various family events, holidays, trips etc. I had a blast taking pics at a local zoo during Winterfest with all the Christmas lights sparkling and giving me freedom for some really fun effects. Last year I discovered I could shoot fireworks with amazing results! And this past January we went on a cruise which generated TONS of great pics!

Basically I enjoy shooting pictures, but it's only one small aspect of things I enjoy. I would not want to be a photographer for a living, nor do I think I could be. Lately I've been sidetracked both with a programming class I'm taking and my obsession with my new Nintendo Wii! (gotta love the Wii!!) That, and our weather here has been so crappy I hate to leave the house in search of something interesting to shoot.

Whenever I do get around to shooting and posting some pics, mostly I'll be looking for opinions on the pics. I would not reject photography advice, but I wouldn't seek it out either. Mostly I just enjoy shooting what I like and sharing it.

So if you check my profile here, I cannot even tell you what you'll find... I don't recall if I uploaded many/any pictures here or not. I've also been using my Flickr account (is that a dirty word here?) and know I have more pics over there. But someday... when the gray skys clear up and sun comes out, when my class is over and it's too pretty outside to even play the Wii, I'll see what I see through my lens and shoot something to share.

Hugz all,

Idicaii:cornut:

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

I almost forgot ----- My photography has improved ten-fold due to this forum and its wonderful members. Thank You One And All.

And for the record Idicaii it was a slightly over exposed roll of 35mm film not wet.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    I almost forgot ----- My photography has improved ten-fold due to this forum and its wonderful members. Thank You One And All.
    Ditto!

But I still have far more to improve upon!

Thanks!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Hey all I'm a newbie to the site..so first and foremost a hello to you.

To answer the question, I am:

#2) I am currently doing everything I can do to become a pro.

#3) I'm just having fun, appreciate any advice, and maybe someday I'll become a pro.

#4) I'm just having fun, sharing, and appreciate any advice that I can.

I am starting school very soon. I am supposed to start an online program through Academy of Art University, but Im having reservations about that, so I am looking into a few schools in my area.
    I am mostly in it to have fun I guess I will say. I love to take pictures, weither they are not so good or not I still love it and I believe thats what is more important.
    I love to hear other peoples opinions on photos I take, and way to improve the shot.
    ~And this is a good day~

~Yes please,..ask me if you can edit my photos. The need help.

I'm a 1.5
    I have worked as a pro for our news paper, but not anymore.
    Right now I'm taking photos for people on the hill. I've had some buy them from me. So i am making SOME money from photography.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

I would probably say I'm a 3. I've been paid for some images, but I don't shoot regularly anymore.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

#7. Just getting a feel for the levels of skill and talent out there among both pros and amateurs as well as some of the attitudes and emotions that are limiting their achievement. The range is much wider than I thought and I incorrectly assumed that more photographers would be at an advanced level with postprocessing. In identifying the weaknesses in the work of pros and amateurs, it helps me to avoid making the same mistakes or at least assist me in making fewer mistakes.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

I think I would be #3. I guess I have ALWAYS loved photography but never really got serious about it. Now that I have a half way decent camera I am really pumped with all of the different equipment that is available for it. I basically bring my camera with me EVERYWHERE. My work has me take photos for their monthly newsletter from time to time but I am on the regular clock. I am about to start a big project that probably take me months for work. I basically have to take pictures of approx. 2,000 homes at multiple angles I really enjoy it as a hobby. I would love to make a photo book or calander some day.

Dave

#1) I'm a pro and get paid for my images.

I actually do quite well with architectural photography. I've been super busy the past few months! I do upload some of my favorites to my site at http://hauntinglybeautiful.com/coppermine/index.php

I also do well with portraits here and there, as well as virtual tours.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information