ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Yo. Hello All!

Yo. Hello All!

How's everyone doing? Things have been awesome for myself, shooting lots, speaking, relaxin, stressing. Im on holidays now sitting at the cottage on my laptop. It's been raining for the past 2 days so there's not much todo. I've been busy with the NoBs site and trying to get everything as downloadables so that people don't have to wait for the bloody mail. Im pretty booked with weddings this year, and have cut the ties to Rob and the studio I work at for next year. Rob and I still work together with the NoBs but I just couldn't stand working in front of the computer all week, I WANT TO SHOOT! So that is what I'm doing now, the only shoots I have for Rob are my weddings.

In Sept I'm off to see Sandee and help her assist for a wedding she's shooting (Charles, great images of her daughter Joie), I look forward to finally meeting her. WE actually met on this forum ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what 4 yrs now? That long? Anyways, just thought I would drop a line.

Here are a few images from Saturdays wedding.

wow, hodgy, you just get better and better. and your ps work is some of the best I've seen.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    I was actually checking our your website last week and was looking at those photos. It never occurred to me that they were all from the same wedding (it was late I swear). I was thinking it was just part of your portfolio. You really have become quite the consisten shooter with numerous great shots from the weddings you shoot.

Its guys like you that want me to try my hand at it. Some of the stuff I see that comes from relatives or friends I just always think to myself...eek what was the photographer doing. Not in your case. Love the stuff.

-scott

No wonder you're busy! Your work is inspiring, thanks for posting.

Thanks all, here are a few from the weeks before wedding

Liz

Smile Signs of the Times

Hodgy - it's so good to see you........your images are awesome!

You're a photographer's photographer. You really should publish your own magazine - or do you? Especially for weddings......just awesome. What else can I say?

Someone used the word "inspiration" and that's right on. Your photos make me want to do more than I'm doing....and inspire me a whole lot.

I hope you hang around for a while.

Congratulations on all you're accomplishing. Incredible work.

Liz

I just have to ask ... how much time do you spend in Photoshop after the wedding? Some of the effects, do you use filters at the time of the shoot, or do you add the effects later in PS?

I'm asking because I'm blown away by these shots. I'd like to experiment some on my own, but I don't know whether to invest in filters, lenses, or just spend more time in PS.

~Kelly

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

All I can say is.................

WOW!
    GREAT stuff that is always pushing the envelope!
    Thanks for sharring some of your latest Hodgy.

I LOVE the quote in your signature... FUNNY!!!!!!!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I dont' use any filters at the time shooting, this way I can give my clients whatever version of the image they chose. Although, all these images are considered "proofs" my clients rarely ask for anything different than what I show them. What I show them is how I visioned the image, or sometimes what I stumble on when Im playing.

Each of these images took me under 3 min todo. I have some actions that I use on a regular basis and some that I create when im on the fly. With digital, you have think of it this way. Your not done at the time of capture, to me, a raw file is just that, raw. My clients never see a raw file, because it's still naked.......... it's not what I have visioned when I shot it. If I was still shooting film, I would use my filters and vignettes and I would do some custom printing to it, NOW, im the lab and I have total control over all aspects of it.
    Last edited by Hodgy; 07-15-2004 at 04:02 PM.

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    Hey Hodgy! Great to see your work again! As always, your photography is fun, artistic, creative, and inspiring! I'm always glad to see your posts and look forward to seeing more!

Glad that all is well! You do have a great eye!

Kathy

It's about time...

that you stop in here AND go out on your own. You're more than ready to be a top-flight pro. You're creativity and mastery of PS is amazing. Sandee is a great lady, Hodgy, and she's thrilled that you'll be helping her. Sandee, if you' re reading this, Hodgy will tell you the same thing...you've got the talent, you just need the self-confidence. I suspect that Hodgy will 'convince' you of that.

Great work, Hodgy...you've come a long, long way since those basement studio shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    Hey Hodgy! Great to see your work again! As always, your photography is fun, artistic, creative, and inspiring! I'm always glad to see your posts and look forward to seeing more!

Glad that all is well! You do have a great eye!

Kathy

One word....

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These images are fanatastic. Man, you rule!!!

Beautiful stuff! Great mix of classic and "artistic" styles - you have mastered them both! Thanks for the inspiration!

Excellent stuff. The best wedding photos I've seen. You have a nice mix of traditional shots (but much better than others) and a few that have a "street feel" which makes the group interesting. With work like this you should be able to get jobs outside your immediate geographic area. Maybe the rich and famous. Why not.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Awesome!

Hodgman these are great. All of it. Except the grooms' soul patch But I'm sure she'll alleve him of that shortly.

I wonder - did you post the same one twice? The shot in the first group of the bride "kissing" at the camera. Couldn't tell if they were different or not.

Great stuff! I agree with Gerry, you could be doing celebrity/wealthy weddings.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks all, Walt, yup I guess I did. Oh well, she's cute anyways and not an eyesore to look at right? Cheers.

Hodgy

Thread Information