ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Yesteryear

Yesteryear

"Come with me now to the days of yesteryear", to paraphrase and old TV show that is probably as old or older than this picture. I've started a couple of threads like this in the past, but found this photo while going through the Christmas photo archives and though it might be a good kick off to a thread. This image is from 1976 when my Nikon F was still king of the hill and the Graflex strobe ruled. I'm interested in photos that you may have from your early days as a photographer and those first cameras that you were so proud of. Hope you can dig some up to post. Maybe even of a friend or family member with their favorite cameras of days gone by. This one is a sloppy scan (because I don't really know how to do it right) from an old KodaColor print on some kind of weird grain texture paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yesteryear-file0025-2-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Yesteryear

I'm going to love this thread Larry...especially the clothes and the equipment. Nice shirt...I would be worried about the collar taking off and flying (yes, I wore things like this, so I can make fun of them)

It was 1976, my 31 year old son was 3 days old and I was on top of the world. And as I remember it that was one of my favorite shirts. Oh and look I have hair in the right places!! (read on top of my head)

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Head hair is VERY over rated

Every time a thread like this goes up, I think of great old pictures I have *somewhere*, but are not organized properly enough to easily find.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I stumbled across this one very much by accident. I hope other will dig out a shoe box with old pics or that obscure album in the back of the closet and post up some of there old gems.

Nikon Samurai #13

you still have that camera? I'll see if I can't find a picture of me and my original camera I know there is one floating around here somewhere.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by retroactiv
    you still have that camera? I'll see if I can't find a picture of me and my original camera I know there is one floating around here somewhere.
    Yes the F body is still very much a part of the family.

Nikon Samurai #13

OK no body wanted to play my game of Yesteryear with me so I'll play alone. Here is a photo I took of my son in Venice using the same Nikon F that I'm pictures with at the first of the thread. Thirty years later and it was still hanging in there. He carried it all over Europe while studying Architecture. This is a another one of my poor scans of a Kodacolor print.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yesteryear-epson045-4-640.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

Larry, I think I remember seeing this photo somewhere before. Nice one for yesteryear. You F sure has traveled the world. I wouldn't want to try to count the number of rolls of film that have been run through it.

That scene gets shot a lot in Venice. I wish I had waited for the gondola to get in the frame, but I was concentrating on David and they were so common you quit noticing them. Only when you get home and look at the pictures do you realize you missed out on a great opportunity. The second story bridge over the canal was used to transport prisoners from the jail on the right to court in the building on the left.

Nikon Samurai #13

OT, for a lot of us, yesteryear wasn't all that long ago....8 short years for me.....

John
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

well this whole weekend I organized (and albumized) the photos in two boxes, which is the majority of what I own. Never came across the pic I was thinking of. So now I have to look in a couple other places, which I've run out of time for.

*sigh*
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    OT, for a lot of us, yesteryear wasn't all that long ago....8 short years for me.....

John
    Your right I keep forgetting that some of you are just youngsters. LOL! But than yesteryear could be 8 years ago. I'm sure my son would look back on that pic I posted of him and think it was a long time ago, but to me it seems like yesterday not yesteryear.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by opus
    well this whole weekend I organized (and albums) the photos in two boxes, which is the majority of what I own. Never came across the pic I was thinking of. So now I have to look in a couple other places, which I've run out of time for.

*sigh*
    UGH! I know that one. A couple of years ago I spent a solid week going through 4 large plastic storage containers with prints jammed as tightly as we could get them in. I was looking for pictures of my son David (above) for a slide show that was being put together show him and his bride as they grew to adulthood. It came out great and we contributed a ton of pictures but I decided right then that I didn't care to go through all those again. It was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I pulled gobs of other pictures while I was at it of the others kids and separated them so they would each have pictorial history of there life. Now if I could just get up the energy to go through the boxes and boxes of slides that I have the job would be complete.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information