ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

From Yesterday's Visit to Mount Lassen

On Friday and Saturday I went up to Mount Lassen to scout out some good locations before the fall. It's a great park and much quieter than Yosemite,Sequoia, or Kings Canyon. I hike really fast and punch the locations into my gps unit and sometimes I carry a camera. This time I didn't because I would spend too much time photographing, and not enough time hiking.

After a long day yesterday, I spent the evening at Manzanita Lake which is right after the west entrance from Redding. When I go back, I will photographing more of the back country, but this was a great place to end the night.

The first batch is from my new Canon 20D, and I haven't downloaded the images from the Canon1DS yet.

I also met a couple of new soft and cuddly friends....

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails From Yesterday's Visit to Mount Lassen-travel_02.jpg   From Yesterday's Visit to Mount Lassen-travel_49.jpg   From Yesterday's Visit to Mount Lassen-travel_36.jpg   From Yesterday's Visit to Mount Lassen-travel_61.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: From Yesterday's Visit to Mount Lassen

Hey! Nice work there. My favourite has to be the last one, with the deer looking almost right at you!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Pentax Forum Moderator

All of your shots are beautiful...look forward to your next trip up the mountain...
    Ken

Very nice Loren. My fav is the fawn standing looking away. Looks like this location could be a gold mine.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for the comments

All of the shots were taken while waiting for the sunset. I was lucky to turn around to see two mothers, and to fawns standing right behind me.

The fawns were very cute. I would get close and they would take off, but the mothers didn't panic at all. So the fawns repeatedly came back for photo ops. Unfortunately my shots were blurred because my iso was set for landscape, and I didn't change it in time.

Hopefully when i go back this October there will be a storm and better lighting. It's a great park, and I appreciate those who took a look.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Thanks for the comments

Hey Loren

I made it there a few years ago. Cool place, I wonder why its not more popular.

Question: did you hike to the top of Mt Lassen? I got a stunning view of Mt Shasta from there. Definitely worth carrying the gear up for!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Thanks for the comments

Question: did you hike to the top of Mt Lassen?
    Rick

Not this time, but I have climbed Mount Shasta and gotten a great view of Mt. Lassen.
    I plan to hike it next year, and then do some x-country skiing this winter in the park.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Loren, these are beautiful, peaceful...serene... you get the picture.
    I hope you're feeling inspired....
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information