ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Yes!!!!!!!!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Talking Yes!!!!!!!!

I just delivered the disk of images from my FIRST paid photography job! The client was quite happy, though I thought they were mediucre at best!

NO it wasn't WILDLIFE , nor did I use a telephoto ;)

I was hired 16 hour prior to a fishing derby for handicapped children because the alleged PRO backed out 1day prior to the event(PRO??) His loss, because I think I now get all his jobs there ;)

I shot 271 images in 4 hours and gave them 116 of them(7 were infact documented rare nesting birds shot with the 100-400 after the derby though)

To be honest..... I would have done it for free! The smiles on those kids faces was payment enough!!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Yes!!!!!!!!

Congrats to you Paul!

Do we get to see any of them?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Talking Congratulations Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I just delivered the disk of images from my FIRST paid photography job! The client was quite happy, though I thought they were mediucre at best!

NO it wasn't WILDLIFE , nor did I use a telephoto ;)

I was hired 16 hour prior to a fishing derby for handicapped children because the alleged PRO backed out 1day prior to the event(PRO??) His loss, because I think I now get all his jobs there ;)

I shot 271 images in 4 hours and gave them 116 of them(7 were infact documented rare nesting birds shot with the 100-400 after the derby though)

To be honest..... I would have done it for free! The smiles on those kids faces was payment enough!!!!!
    Nothing like turning your hobby into money in the pocket! Hope you get many more jobs like this.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Congrats to you Paul!

Do we get to see any of them?
    LADIES FIRST ;) HAHAHA

This was the client
    http://www.dukefarms.org/

I don't know if I should post images on the net that they essentially BOUGHT from me?(though I never sold them exclusive rights per say) I could lose future jobs ?

You can PM me with your email address and I will send you my favorite(though it is crooked). I promise not to bother you ever again after that email.... unless you want me to

The children had cancer, Down Syndrome , autism and other problems of that nature. It made me rethink ever complaining again to see them be so happy.

SHHHHH... I even let a kid with no control of his motorskills(no clue what was actually wrong with him) take images of his mom with me helping him hold the camera while I tripped the shutter for him when he told me to. He had a good eye for comp I must say ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Congratulations Paul

I will I already have the IN, now I just need to KEEP IT ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Re: Congratulations Paul

Paul,

Always nice to have a paid job and even better to have a job with children and helping them. I bet you were a great photographer and role model for them!

Congrats,

Jared

learning member

Thats terriffic Paul! And It Sounds as if you had a blast!
    I know your not a dollar hound, or a glory hound, but it seems to me that you still retain the CR of the images.
    Was there a contract? What are the clients intended use? If you wanted to publish some pics of the kids, do you need a model release?
    What comes to my mind is that it would make a great human interest story for the news paper and TV that you could write and provide photos(if the client has not done that).
    If you had the inclination to do that and ran it by the client for approval, win win, if they want publicity.
    Anyway, questions and thoughts that come to my mind, and enogh of that.
    I know you are 110% heart and the kids afflictions were tearing at you the whole time.
    Its a wonderfull thing you did!
    Congrats,
    Mark.

SHHHHH.. YES I am a very caring person ;)

NO CONTRACT, NO NEED FOR A MODEL RELEASE IMHO, BUT the client was a very powerful group .. DORIS DUKE CHARITABLE FOUNDATION http://www.ddcf.org/

I might be able to pick up jobs ranging from RARE nesting bird , orchids in the greenhouse, planting seminars, and all of the charitable things they do. I may be able to get enough jobs in one years time to finance a 1D MKII and 500F4 IS I would rather not post an image on the net and have them get mad ;) I can email anyone that requests one though ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Most excellent news!

Well done, Paul! There are a lot of reasons a "pro" (or anyone for that matter) might pull out of a gig at the last minute. Not sure it's fair to judge them without knowing all the details.

Still, as you say, it was your gain, and you are now probably thought of as a bit of a hero (small "h", of course, heh heh) for stepping in when you did.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Most excellent news!

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Well done, Paul! There are a lot of reasons a "pro" (or anyone for that matter) might pull out of a gig at the last minute. Not sure it's fair to judge them without knowing all the details.

Still, as you say, it was your gain, and you are now probably thought of as a bit of a hero (small "h", of course, heh heh) for stepping in when you did.
    Steve , actually I do know why they backed out and it was for a not so professional reason(more cash offered at short notice elsewhere). They nolonger will be working there, as I sign a contract with them next week as the on call hourly rate Photog ;)

I was there for the foundation, but 2 PJ's were no shows for the papers in the area. That wasn't a big deal though.

Now I need to figure out what I should charge them for shooting EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY. I was told that I can't sell my images taken on the property if I ever want to go back again (plus I will surely be sued if I do after signing..... LAWYERS run the foundation)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Angry LAWYERS run the foundation

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Steve , actually I do know why they backed out and it was for a not so professional reason(more cash offered at short notice elsewhere). They nolonger will be working there, as I sign a contract with them next week as the on call hourly rate Photog ;)

I was there for the foundation, but 2 PJ's were no shows for the papers in the area. That wasn't a big deal though.

Now I need to figure out what I should charge them for shooting EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY. I was told that I can't sell my images taken on the property if I ever want to go back again (plus I will surely be sued if I do after signing..... LAWYERS run the foundation)

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Lawyers run the freaking world.

On the other hand, the Supreme Court decided yesterday that private property no longer exists, so tresspassing should be a thing of the past now. :-O
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: LAWYERS run the foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Speed

On the other hand, the Supreme Court decided yesterday that private property no longer exists, so tresspassing should be a thing of the past now. :-O
    I will remember to tell the next guy who takes a few shots in my direction for leaning on his fence ;) I am serious about being shot at too! I wasn't happy about that crazy TYLER TEXAS guy doing so either! Yes that is the same town were they dragged a colored guy behind a pickup about ten years ago...
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information