ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Take Off, Flight & Landing

Went to a track meet yesterday afternoon to try out the speed of the D70 and 18-70 kit lense. Using a SanDisk Extreme 512mg CF card this sequence was shot at ISO 400 at 1/1000 and f6.3. Thees frames were shot at 58mm and using matrix metering just trying to get a feel for what the camera, lense and card will do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Take Off, Flight & Landing-bj-5.jpg   Take Off, Flight & Landing-bj-1.jpg   Take Off, Flight & Landing-bj-4.jpg  

Nice series

Holy moly look at the muscles on that one!

So what's the early review on the d70?

adina

In my high school

NONE of the boys looked like that---good thing. ;)

these are great!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Now now ladies

Now now ladies settle down and remember this is a 17 year old. I didn't mean this to be a titilating post, but one of the things I liked about the images was how well the muscle tone and definition showed up. The D70 is performing very much to my liking to this point. It is a keeper for sure. I need to shoot lots and lots more pictures with it before I will be comfortable with every aspect of this very affordable tool. I am so poor at post production that I am trying my best to get the best image I can out of the camera without having to do a lot of PS. Glad you girls approved of my subject matter at least.

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    Is it just me or is the guy flashing 'devil horns' mid-jump in photo 2 (his right hand)????
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

I noticed that..

I noticed that in photo1 & 2. I don't know if he is hoping for a scholarship to the University of Texas or what. Kind of odd, but when in the heat of battle who knows what's going through their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong
    Is it just me or is the guy flashing 'devil horns' mid-jump in photo 2 (his right hand)????

Smile Great Series....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Went to a track meet yesterday afternoon to try out the speed of the D70 and 18-70 kit lense. Using a SanDisk Extreme 512mg CF card this sequence was shot at ISO 400 at 1/1000 and f6.3. Thees frames were shot at 58mm and using matrix metering just trying to get a feel for what the camera, lense and card will do.

And it looks like the camera does great as well. Keep us updated on how you like it, and keep wringing it out.

Now we need some moon shots, some sunsets, some indoor shots....
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I was misunderstood

I was admiring the musculature SIMPLY from a photographic "artist's" perspective.
    Adina was the one drooling over a 17 year old

Kids today DEFINITELY look a lot older than the boys back then...hard to tell if he's a college kid or high school.

there..... did that sound convincing?---- ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Like a lot of things about D70

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    And it looks like the camera does great as well. Keep us updated on how you like it, and keep wringing it out.

Now we need some moon shots, some sunsets, some indoor shots....

I like a lot of things about the D70. The 3 fps is a little hard to live with, my F2 is 18 years old and it is so much faster it's not funny. But than I couldn't afford to use it because of the film and processing cost when I ripped them off like that. I guess I'll learn to live with the slower motor. Buffer size is good and the shutter response is exceptable. Those were two of the big issues I had with the S602Z. The big thing I have found out is I will have to invest in some better glass. All my decent glass is manuel focus. I only have one decent Nikor AF, an older 35-70 that I love on the N80 but not as much on the D70. The kit lense is acceptable and I really like having a true wide again. Haven't had one in auto focus other that the 35-70 and that just isn't wide enough.

Nice images. His face in #1 seems a little soft. As a long time long jumper I would say that his form is very good. He really nailed the take-off. Do you remember how far he jumped? My guess is 19' 5".

Mike

Spot focused

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Platts
    Nice images. His face in #1 seems a little soft. As a long time long jumper I would say that his form is very good. He really nailed the take-off. Do you remember how far he jumped? My guess is 19' 5".

Mike

Mike I had spot focused for the mid point of the jump and was not using continuous-servo, so the first shot is a little soft. Just trying to get use to the new equipment and how it handles. As for his distance I don't remember 19'5" sounds a little long for this meet probably in the 18's somewhere. Very small local high school meet. Our local high school has turned our several state champion in class AA over the years however. One of our former long jumpers still holds the state record in both A and AA that date all the way back to 1974-75. We moved up in class her senior year so she has two class records. An interesting side bar to that is that her daughter only a 7th grader is competing this year for the first time and is already within 6" of her mothers school record. Another of our girls was a 6 time state champ in the high jump and as a University of Kentucky jumper placed third in the NCAA last year and was named as an All American.

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I was admiring the musculature SIMPLY from a photographic "artist's" perspective.
    Adina was the one drooling over a 17 year old

Kids today DEFINITELY look a lot older than the boys back then...hard to tell if he's a college kid or high school.

there..... did that sound convincing?---- ;)
    Drooling! I'd hardly say drooling! Maybe a little gawking.

Besides, 17 is almost legal

adina

Thread Information