ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MB1

What the heck are you driving?

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    Filled up my tank yesterday, Cost my $189.43 cents. I purposely let it get down to about 1 gallon in the tank. This is ridiculous...
    Even at $4.00 a gallon you are talking about a 50 gallon tank or so.....

Perhaps a smaller car is in order?
    No, I DON'T need that.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: What the heck are you driving?

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Even at $4.00 a gallon you are talking about a 50 gallon tank or so.....

Perhaps a smaller car is in order?
    Yep, I drive a V10 Dodge ram pickup with a 45 gallon tank and fuel id $4.08 here...
    I thought about a small car, but I like my truck.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Liz

Re: Will the price of gas affect your photo habits?

New Jersey............is good for gas!!!!!!!!!

Since I live in NJ, I'm grateful that we are the state with the lowest price for gas. Yesterday I paid $3.29 for gas. The most I've seen around here is $3.39 so far. Of course, I'm sure we'll catch up. I heard on the news today there are some problems on the turnpike and thruway with people trying to get gas - cutting in line, yelling, etc. People from NY come over to get gas when this happens. I just hope we don't run out of gas. When I went to Stockbridge MA last month, the prices were rising and the gas stations closest to NY were "out of gas." That was a little scarey.

It's kind of strange - we're always the cheapest - and we only have full service. Some people don't like full service. But I prefer it.

Liz

Full service in my neighborhood is $759.00 a gallon.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Liz

Full service in my neighborhood is $759.00 a gallon.
    Javier - do you mean $7.59? Or.....am I missing something? Even $7.59 is off the charts!

Liz

In Oregon we can't pump our own gas. And the gas is just getting to the $3.60 per gallon range. The big truck only gets 10 mile per gallon, and I have not used it to tow the horse trailer yet. I'm not looking forward to that gas bill.

But I have not been on a photo only drive since we got the horses
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Yesterday morning gas was $3.44 gal when a friend of mine got to work, and hour later gas jumped .20 cents a gallon. So now it's $3.64 a gallon, I put $30 in the tank today and it didn't give me a half a tank.....that was the Jeep, ut would barely touch the trucks fuel guage

But at this point it hasn't affected my driving for work (ie: photography for the paper) but I am sure it will affect things this summer once school ends.

If things keep going the way they are now though I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of news photography this summer though, and I fear it won't be pretty in this country, things are already getting out of control around here as robberies have gone up this year, home invasions are way up and shootings are way up. Foreclosures continue to rise, one county near me has 2600 homes for sale, and thats not counting those that are foreclosed which adds another 2500 homes to the list! Chrysler is closing another plant in that county so the numbers will go up even more. In my county home building has come to a halt, some new developements have been stopped before the first homes were built leaving empty roads going into them.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Look, you have it cheap !
    I'm on the point of cutting back on travel to WORK because of the cost.
    Over £3700 this year, if the price doesn't increase again.

£1.089 per litre at the moment.
    1 litre = 0.264172052 US gallons
    £1 = $1.98

$8.17 per gallon
    $2.17 per litre

But take all of the associated taxes added per litre off and how much is it? Here in Wisconsin, state and fed tax is $0.52/gallon. Gas is $3.60/gal here.

The price of gas will effect my latest camera purchases!!!. Mind you though, with the fall of the US Dollar compared to the Aussie dollar, purchases from the US will be a lot cheaper than before.

Petrol here rose over 0.13 cents per litre over night. It now sits at $1.52/litre. Start of the week, it was about $1.38 (roughly).

Not happy....
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

i heard it went up here too, dont know how much and done care anymore. theres nothing that i can do to bring the prices down, so i just drive and fuel up when i need too.
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Quote Originally Posted by rylan
    theres nothing that i can do to bring the prices down
    There is no way that one person, or even all of the drivers in the US, can do much about gas prices - look at global demand. However, you can simply buy less of the stuff so that the amount of money you spend on it per month is less. Other than driving less, keep the car well maintained. This can include checking your tire air pressure weekly and making sure your intake air filter is clean.

Also, don't floor it leaving a red light. Don't tailgate - both of these waste gas, and tailgating also wears out brakes. Watch somebody do it, their brake lights flash all the time. If the light up ahead is red, get off the gas pedal and coast until you need to hit the brakes. At least in my drive-by-wire car, when I'm coasting but in gear (stick shift) the fuel supply to the engine is cut off. Not a big deal but it probably adds up, and is also less wear on the brakes. I'm at 83K with the original pads and rotors...

Trying to get this back on track, the savings has probably turned itself into a lens at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Javier - do you mean $7.59? Or.....am I missing something? Even $7.59 is off the charts!

Liz
    Oh, Sorry, I did mean $7.59..I need to start proof reading what I write. :blush2:
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    There is no way that one person, or even all of the drivers in the US, can do much about gas prices - look at global demand. However, you can simply buy less of the stuff so that the amount of money you spend on it per month is less. Other than driving less, keep the car well maintained. This can include checking your tire air pressure weekly and making sure your intake air filter is clean.

Also, don't floor it leaving a red light. Don't tailgate - both of these waste gas, and tailgating also wears out brakes. Watch somebody do it, their brake lights flash all the time. If the light up ahead is red, get off the gas pedal and coast until you need to hit the brakes. At least in my drive-by-wire car, when I'm coasting but in gear (stick shift) the fuel supply to the engine is cut off. Not a big deal but it probably adds up, and is also less wear on the brakes. I'm at 83K with the original pads and rotors...

Trying to get this back on track, the savings has probably turned itself into a lens at some point.
    Or you could be like my brother and cut the engine while coasting downhill and then pop the clutch when the hill ends :lol:

At least that's what he tells me to do since he doesn't have a stick

I do coast a lot and I like the higher gears, but I don't think that really makes up for my spirited accelerations to the speed limit when I have open road ahead at a light.

Biking to work on Saturday and class on weekdays would make up for it though, but I'd have to convince myself to get up earlier
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Yep, I drive a V10 Dodge ram pickup with a 45 gallon tank and fuel id $4.08 here...
    I thought about a small car, but I like my truck.

no offense but people that drive these huge cars and then complain about gas, are the worst. if you want to drive a gas guzzler then don't complain. if you want to complain get a fuel effecient vhicle.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    no offense but people that drive these huge cars and then complain about gas, are the worst. if you want to drive a gas guzzler then don't complain. if you want to complain get a fuel effecient vhicle.
    No offense taken. My wife has been telling me the same thing. I did buy myself an RSX Type S, but did not like it so I gave it to my daughter...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

No, the price of fuel is not affecting anything I do. I will still drive when I want, in what I want. I will still be off-roading in Hummers this summer and taking photos out in the deserts of Utah and in the CO mountains.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yeah, petrol is cheap in America. In NZ it's about 5.32/gallon. Not to SW's price yet, but it's because of that bloody pound and its strength.

My other car is a bike.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    New Jersey............is good for gas!!!!!!!!!

Since I live in NJ, I'm grateful that we are the state with the lowest price for gas. Yesterday I paid $3.29 for gas. The most I've seen around here is $3.39 so far. Of course, I'm sure we'll catch up. I heard on the news today there are some problems on the turnpike and thruway with people trying to get gas - cutting in line, yelling, etc. People from NY come over to get gas when this happens. I just hope we don't run out of gas. When I went to Stockbridge MA last month, the prices were rising and the gas stations closest to NY were "out of gas." That was a little scarey.

It's kind of strange - we're always the cheapest - and we only have full service. Some people don't like full service. But I prefer it.

Liz
    the reason for this is partly the state regulations put on petrol. There are environment standards that every state puts in place in order to maintain their clean atmosphere, and they regulate the additives in the petrol. Some places require their petrol to burn cleaner as to not pollute as much, whereas other places (ie Jersey) don't place as strict regulations on the petrol and therefore can sell it for a lower cost.

Gotta love the discovery channel.

Another theory on NJ's low petrol prices...

"Dressler -- and other foes of self-service, including AAA -- argue the price of gasoline is kept low because of the presence of gas station attendants. Paying these workers cuts into the profits of big oil companies, who then avoid the state, allowing smaller companies such as Lukoil to remain competitive and keep prices down, they say."

But don't ask me why you can't pump your own petrol in dirty Jersey. That's beyond me. Seems to be an old system they never bothered to change more than an economical one
    Last edited by livin4lax09; 04-29-2008 at 04:50 PM.

drg

Like many similar posts, my comment is, The Customer's will just pay more! I'll be shooting along the way or as conditions allow.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

£1.109 per litre today.
    1 litre = 0.264172052 US gallons
    £1 = $1.99

$8.35 per gallon
    $2.21 per litre

Over 70% of our fuel price is tax.
    If that was changed, I bet the oil companies would put the price up pretty quick!
    After all they know we'll pay whatever they ask.

Recently there has been a strike at a fuel refinery in Scotland, which also feeds steam to the oilfields.
    So prices are taking another hike soon I reckon, scarcity profiteering while the oil flow is cut off.
    Rises in fuel prices increase the price of everything that travels, so expect food price rises too.
    Airlines are already increasing fuel surcharges, so imported goods will get a double rise.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

No offense taken. My wife has been telling me the same thing. I did buy myself an RSX Type S, but did not like it so I gave it to my daughter...

haha im just starting to look at rsx type s as a replacement for my car which is starting to rust (13 year old honda) not looking forward to the hit in gas mileage (worst i can get is like 35 best in rsx is like 34) but better than cars like tiberon at 24.

i wish i could just find a rust free del Sol, for a decent price.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Gas here has now gone to $3.75 since I last posted on this. As a result of the high prices and slow sales Monaco RV's laid off 900 workers, yet the govenor sees no problems with gas prices or unemployment...thats ok, he's going to be unemployed in November too.
    Strange though the price per barrel dropped by $4 yet the price at the pump went up 20 cents.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Liz

But don't ask me why you can't pump your own petrol in dirty Jersey. That's beyond me. Seems to be an old system they never bothered to change more than an economical one
    I'm not asking! I rather enjoy the full service!

Liz

BMOORE

Yesterday I thought about going to Yosemite ( 100 miles) decided to go to the Castle Air Museum instead. About 20 miles.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I walked to the dentist today. Not a photo trip, but a result of the gas price.

A GM assembly plant about an hour or so from where I live laid off 750 people this past week. Can you guess what vehicles they assemble there? If you said full size SUV's you are correct.

Dylan, what's wrong with rust? I figure the rustier my truck gets, the lighter it will be and better gas mileage I will get.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information