ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Where to order print/format

Was wondering where yall like to order prints from. Ive tried straight out of iphoto and shutterfly but was looking for something a little higher quality. I was going to try and get this shot printed and framed for my Dad for x-mas. Is the vertical crop and narrow look going to through off the print, dont want to waste money.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Where to order print/format

Quote Originally Posted by agtaylor
    Was wondering where yall like to order prints from. Ive tried straight out of iphoto and shutterfly but was looking for something a little higher quality. I was going to try and get this shot printed and framed for my Dad for x-mas. Is the vertical crop and narrow look going to through off the print, dont want to waste money.
    I've only used a local lab and Winkflash. Winkflash is very cheap, and the prints look good to me, but I'm sure there are much better places. A lot of people like Mpix.com, which I plan to try next.

As far as the crop is concerned, I see no problem, except that you will have to get a custom mat for it. Nice shot.

Paul

I use MPIX. If your picture doesn't fit any of their formats add a white border to it so it will. Then trim it when you get it. But MPIX has a great customer service too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I print almost exclusively with www.mpix.com. The quality is great, the shipping is fast, and the packaging is the best. One of the things I love about them is that all of their prints are shipped flat, even the 20x30's.

Like Greg said, add a white border around your print, and then you can order a standard size. If you're lucky, you may even be able to place two copies of your image, side by side and get two prints for the price of one. I was able to do that with a pano image I created. The final print was something like 7x20. I was able to put two copies of that image on a document that was 16x20. I uploaded that image to mpix and ordered a 16x20 print. When it came, I just had to cut the photos and I ended up with two for the price of one.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

mpix is nice, but i don't dig their printing options. I use winkflash for cheap prints, adoramapix for nicer prints, and elco color for poster sized prints. elco has by far the best quality ive seen around. Their poster sized prints are incredible, and very well priced. I just ordered 2 30x60's for 75, and that included shipping.

Sweet, thanks a lot guys. Went ahead and ordered one from mpix. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Bookmarked the rest of them, good suggestions. Hopefully Ill have a poster quality one sometime and try out elco. Good tip on getting two for one too mjs.

I would recommend ordering photo prints from a company that specializes in photo prints or canvas prints. Speaking of print on canvas, in particular, there are many online providers, however, comparing them all, it seemed to me that the services provided by the site https://www.bluehorizonprints.com.au are much better. I ordered framed prints from them, which impressed me with the excellent print quality and image clarity.
    Last edited by DerekSom; 03-21-2021 at 12:35 AM.

Thread Information