ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    It's hurricane season... again...

Question Anyone tried the Sigma digital lenses?

Hi, I looked in the reviews and could not find this lens... has anyone here tried the new Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC? I'm THIS CLOSE to buying a Digi Rebel, and I need an all-purpose zoom to take on our vacation. Any opinions?
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thanks Penny! I can't wait!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Hi Kristin,

Before you settle on that particular lens, why don't you give a look at the Sigma lense kit that I use. You can view it here http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/00...em=invnew:5138

Not only will you be spending the same amount of money as the lens you're looking at, but you have some extra reach with the 70-300, not to mention that it's a tad faster lens than the lens you mentioned, and both the 28-55 & 70-300 have a macro feature that really comes in handy at times.

If you go this route, all you'll need to buy is the Digital Rebel body kit, and this will save you a little bit more money because it only comes with the battery, charger, and software but not the Canon 18-55 lens, which you won't need anyway if you get the above lenses.

Out the door my Drebel with the above lenses cost me only a little more than $1100.00. I got what I wanted AND saved a couple hundred bucks to boot. I'm frugal that way.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Hi Kristin,

Before you settle on that particular lens, why don't you give a look at the Sigma lense kit that I use. You can view it here http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/00...em=invnew:5138

Not only will you be spending the same amount of money as the lens you're looking at, but you have some extra reach with the 70-300, not to mention that it's a tad faster lens than the lens you mentioned, and both the 28-55 & 70-300 have a macro feature that really comes in handy at times.

If you go this route, all you'll need to buy is the Digital Rebel body kit, and this will save you a little bit more money because it only comes with the battery, charger, and software but not the Canon 18-55 lens, which you won't need anyway if you get the above lenses.

Out the door my Drebel with the above lenses cost me only a little more than $1100.00. I got what I wanted AND saved a couple hundred bucks to boot. I'm frugal that way.

Ray

Thanks Ray... I think that the draw of the other lens for me is that it's made specifically for the digital cameras... so there's no crop factor. I will lose a little reach, and of course there's no macro... so I may still look into the set that you mentioned. The new Sigma "digital" lens also has the option of buying it with a shorter 18-50mm, so that is another option. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=304150&is=USA

I just hate to buy anything that hasn't already been tested by someone else, but I may need to be the guinea pig this time! ;) Thanks guys!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

I just found a site that has samples of images taken with the Sigma 55-200mm DC... they look pretty good, I think.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/55-200_4-56_dc
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

I played around with the 12-24mm yesterday at the camera store, and let's just say that I really, really, REALLY wished I had $650 to burn on that lens. Very nice!!

Thanks Penny, that is a pretty convincing opinion! Makes me wish I had enough money to live in one of those beautiful houses he photographed too... Gee, now I just have to convince my husband that I NEED the Digi Rebel! ;)
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Don't I know it....

Keith, the guy at the camera store, says the Sigma outsells the Nikon 3 to 1, and not just because of price. He considers, and many agree, that the Sigma is acutally a bit sharper. Unfortunately, I will not be able to buy one of these for quite a long time, which just kills me since I shoot mainly landscapes. I'll just have to be patient.
    While I was there "dreaming", I also checked out the Nikkor 70-200mm VR. That is one SWEET lens.

Regards,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Brian and Kristan:

There was a little bit of discussion about this over on the Help Forum. Click here.

I'm very pleased with this lens. You'd love it too.;)

Best to You,
    Penny

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Why would you have to convince him? I think it's quite obvious that you need the D Rebel. I see no other option than to buy it -- just tell him we all said that you're allowed to.

Danielle

Thread Information