ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What's the secret?

What's the secret to razor sharp edges and silky smooth textures, as seen in Seb's Roy Tomson Hall shot, or Sebastian's Millenium Park "Greek Columns" and sky, or gahspidy's "Verrazano Bridge" water and bridge supports?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    What's the secret to razor sharp edges and silky smooth textures, as seen in Seb's Roy Tomson Hall shot, or Sebastian's Millenium Park "Greek Columns" and sky, or gahspidy's "Verrazano Bridge" water and bridge supports?
    Kelly, I use Paintshop Pro a lot. It has a filter/effect called Edge Preserving Smooth that I like to play around with because I like the watercolor abstraction results. Here's a section of one of your small town pictures from yesterday (Hope you don't mind). This has the maximum smoothing applied. Repeated applications really abstracts things. The last shot has had 3 maximum applications of the edge preserving smooth.

On individual elements you could do a selection, shrink the selection by a pixel or 2 to preserve the hard edges and then do a high radius gaussian blur.

You might get a lot better answer than this by posting your question on the Digital Imaging forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the secret?-07.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information