ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What's the best Aspect Ratio to use?

I have three ratio settings on my camera. I had it set 4:3. I found when I got my photos developed for the size they required for the club competitions some photos were cropped to fit the shops paper. I was told last night that 16:9 is more suited to the sizes of paper these days. Can someone confirm this for me. I can change the settings on my camera, no worries. I am just wanting to know the best setting to suit the paper and developers. Wouldn't matter for printing at home. It's just in the stores that do it for you.. Please help.
    Julie-anne

Re: What's the best Aspect Ratio to use?

on your camera, use the default, the 4:3 setting, the 16:9 setting is just cropped, so you lose some of the top and bottom.

Then I would recommend cropping to the aspect ratio of your choice using the computer. (I crop to 16:10 a lot because that's the ratio of my widescreen computer monitors)

On my camera, I use the highest setting...notice the actual resolution, multiply the width by the height in pixels and get the total pixel count, and then compare the 4:3 with the 16:9, I'd use the bigger one because you'll have more room to work on the computer.

I feel like I'm rambling...hope that is clear what I mean.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thank you for your thoughts. I think the same with that. It's just what I was told last night, talking about the ratios. Can you answer this? Does the 16:9 ratio compare with the sizing of a 6x4 photograph. This is what a guy in a photo shop told me. That ratio suits the 6x4 photo for printing.

What is this aspect ratio and how do you change it?

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

The aspect ratio is what you set your digital camera at to get more or less pixels per photograph or a different size. Like landscape or a size to fit the most common printing size. The 4:3 ratio gives the most pixels than a 16:9. With my camera I can use the 8mp when I set it to the 4:3 I can only use a max of 5.5mp when set to 16:9. I have since learnt that to use the 4:3 and use your camera programs to crop to the size you wish to enlarge or print which will keep the most pixels in your print for a clearer and better photo.

You change it in your menu settings of your camera.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Your guy in the photo shop can't do ratios.
    6x4 is a 3:2 ratio
    16:9 does not match 6x4 !!

I'd find a new photo shop where they know what they're talking about.

What size of print is required for your club competition?
    Either inches or centimetres, width x height.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Aspect ratio is the ratio of width to height and has nothing to do with the image resolution except for the fact that when you shoot at different aspect ratios the camera ignores certain areas of the sensor to give the correct width to height ratio. Shoot 4:3 then crop if you want to afterwards. You can always take off what's there but you can't replace what's missing after all.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

I'd do what DEvianT says - from the sounds of it you're only cropping in-camera when you change the aspect ratio. The 2:3 ratio of 4x6 is the same as 8x12, etc - it's just a ratio. I'd shoot with the full capability of the sensor which in this case is 4:3 and then crop later. If you're looking for 4x6 prints, a 4:3 aspect ratio is much closer than 16:9 (which is almost twice the width as the length or vice-versa).

Note that 4:3 isn't a better ratio than 16:9, but it is a better way to shoot in this case because you're using the whole sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by 41jas
    I have three ratio settings on my camera. I had it set 4:3. I found when I got my photos developed for the size they required for the club competitions some photos were cropped to fit the shops paper. I was told last night that 16:9 is more suited to the sizes of paper these days.
    Here's another way to look at it:

If you shot at 16:9 and gave them a file right out of the camera for a 4x6 print, it would be like having them make a print that's roughly 4" x 7.5" (just round numbers based on the ratio). Since it's a total of 1-1/2" longer than what you want, they grab a pair of scissors and cut 3/4" off each side. There's your 4x6 print.

If you shot at 4:3 and did the same thing, you'd get a print that's about 4.5" x 6". Grab the pair of scissors again and cut 1/4" off the top and bottom and you have 4" x 6".

Neither of these options are good, and a really bad choice for a competition since you have no control over it. You can see that the 4:3 aspect ratio is closer to your print size, but it's best to make a 4x6 crop (at 300dpi) so that you can pick whether you want (in this example) 1/4" off the top and bottom, 1/2" off the top, 1/8" off the top and 3/8" off the bottom or however it works best.

Just use the default on your camera, IE the full image sensor. You can always tell the photo place how to print your photos, or just load them on your computer and crop them your self and burn a CD for the photo shop to print off.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Smartwombat,

You asked what size the club comp photos wanted to be printed on. They wanted 8x12 but because some photos I wanted to print cropped the top and bottom (landscape) off, I reprinted them at 8x10 and they printed fine. I found I had the problem when I took it to a camera shop that didn't print a 8x10. This is how all this came about. I since found out that the club don't mind a 8x10 enlargement.

Where I took the photos to get developed started this. Where I usually get the 8x10 were swamped with a promotion they had going which took me to this other shop. Which suppose to have a good name. They didn't do a 8x10, only a 8x12.

To my knowledge the 16:9 ratio was more suitable for landscapes.
    The 3:2 ration is more matched with a 35mm film. So do you think just leave it on the 3:2?

I want to thank everyone for being so helpful.

I think I know more than people give me credit for but when you are told something from a person that works in that business you would think they would know what they are talking about.

So my main question now is.... Do I leave the ratio on 4:3 OR 3:2...???

Thank you everyone.

Isn't it a matter of taste? Surely you shoot a picture based on how you want it to look not on how a camera club wants it to be? If so then aspect ratio's be damned just make nice pictures. If shooting to match some camera club formulae then you'll be damned... ;)
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Surely I do, but when someone throws something in your face with this I want to learn......

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Always shoot in the aspect ratio of your camera, the one that gives you most pixels.
    Then crop it afterwards in an editing program to get the print size you want.

Even viewing programs like ThumbsPlus (my favourite) have the option to edit images to a particular size or ratio.

It's always best in my experience to do the editing in the computer, and get the file size right before going to the lab.
    If submitting on the internet, then I go further and Save As 8x10PA3P1014.jpg so that the image size I want it printed is obvious - saves mistakes.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Save As 8x10PA3P1014.jpg so that the image size I want it printed is obvious
    That's a good idea I like it!
    DEviaNT Photographer

~ Joel Meyerowitz

The subject should dictate the final image size. Don't confine yourself to one specific size. Take the most your camera will give you and go from there.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information