ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Whatcha think?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Whatcha think?

Opinions on this?

I think it's a neat idea (kinda stumbled upon it by accident) but I think a different composition would improve it. Specifically, I think the foreground needs to be much cleaner. Any thoughts? I can also adjust brightness, etc and repost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whatcha think?-moon-cactus-3b.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Whatcha think?

Hey Rick,

I agree with you that the FG could be a bit cleaner and a dif. comp would help out too. That being said, I also like the image as is.

As far as the comp goes, I think this image would work very well as a verticle shot. I like how the moon (sun?) is positioned behind the cactus, but I think it could be moved a bit to the left so it is centered with the point of the cactus. That's getting a pit nit picky tho.

This shot is still a keeper as is, but I would love to see what else you could do with it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

He Lives! He Lives! ET Lives!!!! Please touch me with your magic finger. Or at least get me a date with Drew Barrymore.

Ok I'll be serious... I like the concept a lot, however as you point out the foreground could be improved and I'd like to see the heavenly body moved up to the very tip of the cactus and centered.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Technically, I'm not experienced enough to know but I think it looks like a candle.

Well. I like the photo, and the whole composition. But, honestly, the first thing I thought of was the Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote cartoons. I don't know why... Did they used to show desert scenes with the moon (or sun) halo-ing the cacti? I cannot remember.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The reason I am posting now is there's another full moon coming up this weekend so I'll have the chance to go and reshoot (if I don't forget). I'm seeing a cleaner, more "desert plain" kind of foreground, and I think I'll take Mike's suggestion and shoot a few verticles too.

The comments about the moon not quite being centered: that moon's a fast moving sucker! You don't think it moves very quickly until you're trying to photograph it against a stationary object with a manual focus camera. LOL, everytime I looked up it had moved off center again. Hearing from you guys now that the centeredness of the moon is an important design element, I will try harder to keep it in the center next time. If only I could put the brakes on celestial motion for a few minutes.

And Larry, sorry I can't help get you a date with Drew. Even if I could, I think I'd probably have to ask her out first. Once you got your charms on her it would be all over for my chances with her
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    The comments about the moon not quite being centered: that moon's a fast moving sucker! You don't think it moves very quickly until you're trying to photograph it against a stationary object with a manual focus camera.
    Surprising, isn't it? Really makes you move fast!

I like the idea of the shot but another cactus that's at a different angle might make it look more like a cactus. Personally I like the darkness and the blue to it but agree about the foreground.

Hey, a critique in VF?

Cool Re: Whatcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Opinions on this?

I think it's a neat idea (kinda stumbled upon it by accident) but I think a different composition would improve it. Specifically, I think the foreground needs to be much cleaner. Any thoughts? I can also adjust brightness, etc and repost.
    Shoot it vertically, make it larger in the frame, and shoot 2 or 3 seconds earlier (the moon isn't quite centered). Faster shutter speed will keep the moon from washing out as much and make the silhouette more of a pure black - if you're interested in that effect.

Just brain storming for you buddy! Lots of potential in this shot.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Speed. I took probably 12 frames of this. Most of them were shot a lot darker, but I lost the cool blue/purple color in the sky by stopping down. This overexposed shot had the most color, and the best "glow" around the moon. I will go back and see what I can get!
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Surprising, isn't it? Really makes you move fast!

I like the idea of the shot but another cactus that's at a different angle might make it look more like a cactus. Personally I like the darkness and the blue to it but agree about the foreground.

Hey, a critique in VF?
    Yeah, I kept having to pick up my tripod and scoot it, then readjust level and refocus. And by then, it was about time to move it again

Different cactus, that's a good idea. I'll have to scout out a good one ahead of time. I walked up on this after shooting a sunset and knew if I didn't act fast, the moon would be above the cactus and I'd miss it.

Critique? I thought I was getting "feedback"
    Walter Rick Long

Thread Information