ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    n8

what would you use? (question about travel)

I will be going to NYC in a few weeks, and I'm trying to consider my best options for carrying essential gear (d7000,12-24, 50 1.8 maybe, tripod), while also avoiding looking to conspicuous. I'm well aware a tripod will negate that effort right away, but I would hate to need it and not have it. I am considering a slingshot 102, as that would fit the gear and also offers a spot for the tripod, but am also considering messenger bags in order to look less touristy. Any thoughts?
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: what would you use? (question about travel)

Much of my activity is in a capital city (Paris). My preferred bag is a Billingham Hadley shoulder bag (what you call a Messenger Bag), for the following reasons:

- It's small and easy to manoeuver. A backpack is a nightmare in shops or in a crowded subway
    - It fits under your arm so you can protect it (rather than having a backpack hanging off your back where you can't see it - an invitation for theives)
    - It doesn't look like a camera bag

The drawback to a shoulder bag is that there is not space to put spare clothing but you're going to a city, not a cross-country hike.

I tried the Slingshot a long time ago. It didn't have space for a lot of gear but it certainly ruffled my clothing. Useless

You don't need the tripod except for night shots. Choose your spot during the day then go back by taxi at night.

-
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: what would you use? (question about travel)

I agree about not always carrying the tripod. What I do in cities is pick a couple of primes (40mm pancake and 15mm are my typical go-to lenses) and use my Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home bag. The bag is like a sporty looking shoulder bag or purse (man purse? murse?). When I bring the tripod I just have a strap that lets me wear it over a shoulder and just go as bare bones as possible.
    I wouldn't carry the tripod during the day unless I had a specific HDR mission or something along those lines.

Thread Information