ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What I got to do today..

And let me say, it was awesome..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What I got to do today..-dsc05077-edit-640.jpg   What I got to do today..-dsc05093-edit-640.jpg   What I got to do today..-dsc05104-edit-640.jpg   What I got to do today..-dsc05108-edit-640.jpg  

And more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What I got to do today..-dsc05110-edit-640.jpg   What I got to do today..-dsc05112-edit-640.jpg   What I got to do today..-dsc05115-edit-640.jpg  

Very cool!!

I'm excited that we are taking space exploration to the next level where we have private industry taking some inititative and sending someone into space. If I read the story correctly, this company is trying for a $10,000,000 (ten million) prize, but to get it they must successfully put someone into space using the same craft twice within two weeks. There should be another launch in a few more days!

If you should hear when it is, could you give me a heads up? I'd love to go out and watch the event!

Thanks for posting these!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Wow.

You recorded a piece of history that will never be forgotten. Man's first commercial space flight will some day be regarded right up with the Wright Brothers, Colombus, and Neil Armstrong.

(sorry... my favorite writes are Asimov and Clarke... I probably find space travel overly important =D)
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Thanks... I wouldn't have known about it either unless one of the guys here at work made an announcemet last wednesday. It was a blast. Definately an experience to remember.. We (wife and I) were up until eleven last night preparing for the trip, and got up at 1:30 this morning to get ourselves ready... I was sad to drag the kids out of bed at two but it was worth it.

Actually, they need to send three people into space, twice in two weeks with the same craft to win the prize.. It's not so much for profit, according to MSNBC they invested $20million in building the craft! I understand that they are planning another launch in the summer.

I was interviewed by two TV crews, one was for Japanesse television. I was super embarrassed. I choked in front of the camera.. I guess 11,000 people showed up. to put that in perspective, Mojave, CA only has a population of 3,700. Today quadrupled thier population (for a few hours)!!!

The shots themsleves were hard to take. The stinking crowd in front of me (I'm sure the guy behind me felt the same way about me) kept getting in the way. I helped that I'm 6'2" and I really made use of the tilting lens on my camera. I shot some in full manual everything, and some in AP mode.. They could've been better but I'm satisfied concidering the circumstances and my skill level (or lack of it).. But let me say, I saw some wicked bad camera gear there today.. some people had their billy bad-a** cannon's with super massive long telephoto lenses there. One genius (I mean that complimentary) had his tripod on the top of a 6' a frame ladder... Others put thier lazy chairs on top of their suburbans and took full advantace of thier super long lenses from the parking areas..

Anyway, I'm just rambling.. I'm still excited about all the goings on..

I'm so clueless

I didn't know what it was til I read the posts and woke my hubby up to ask him (it's space and technology related---that's accepatable) so I'm excited for you and what an opportunity! you have a wonderful wife(very supportive) to get kids out of bed at that our and go with you...wow---I would have been a beast about it..
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I'll say!

You are incredibly fortunate for being there!
    Thanks for sharring your incredible images with us!
    Broam
    WOW!!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

My wife even surprised me.. I told her what was going on and she wanted to go as bad as I did. Her motivation was more for the kids, even though they don't appreiciate it now, 10 years from now they might think it was cool that thier parents took them to see that. I also have such a cool boss that he let me take a half day off during a real busy time to see that...

That is way too cool. Glad someone on the board got out there. PR looks like it was well represented judging from the photos.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Awesome!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    And more...

I would have loved to have been there!!!

I would have loved to have flown SpaceShipOne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Cool seeing that they used a Starship 2000 for a chase plane. Not surprising, but very cool. Thank you for sharing these, and congratulations on being able to watch history in the making.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks a lot for all of your comments!!!

Here's a link from Scaled Composites website..

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/062104-2.htm

Thread Information