ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What I do when I'm not taking pictures...

3D modeling has been a passion for a long, long time. Finally taking the time to sit down and learn it to the point of actually being able to finish something.

What do you do when you're not taking pics?

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Re: What I do when I'm not taking pictures...

I do a whole lot of master.............ing the art of homebrewing. I also enjoy mountain biking, long walks on the beach, being a wise ass on the internet, and carpentry. I strive to the best out of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best.

Well, of course I mountain bike as well! I thought that was assumed...
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Nice. Makes me think of that great 3-D artist, Maya Angelou...

BTW, when I'm not taking photos, I enjoy reading threads about what others do when they're not taking photos... rrr:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I play poker.....Texas Hold'em Poker to be precise. I prefer no limit tournaments.

As I browse and edit my shots I play online at the same time on www.PartyPoker.com.

I'm not the greatest but I once made two final tables in Vegas in one 24 hour period. Both tourneys had over 50 players. I have books and DVDs on it and was the first in the family to get a poker set.

It's one hell of a game!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I spend a lot of time outside, with my dogs, and Amy. Hiking, canoing, just relaxing... I also spend a lot of time reading - on the internet, books, and magazines. I have also gotten myself hooked on Rockstar Supernova this summer.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Like a fair amount of people here I Mountain Bike, as well as model RR, I play guitar, learning how to edit video, play hockey, or read MTBR.com or Photographyreview.com
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Computer work, web design and gaming (mainly FPSs). I also am an Urban Explorer which I do sometimes without taking a camera along.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Just me and my camera

I spend my time listening to my CDs, practising my keyboard playing and spending time with my family.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Makes me think of that great 3-D artist, Maya Angelou...
    ...:thumbsup:
    -Seb

My website

Hi Seb,

That's a very impressive model you have there. I do some 3D modeling for my job, but it's mostly mechanical assemblies and other boring stuff...nothing artistic at all. What software did you do this with? Just curious.

There are a lot of other things I'm interested in but I rarely find the time for them. I don't feel like I have enough time to take photos, and that's my top recreational priority. Mtn. biking, backpacking, guitar are all high on the list. I spent the last week making a short film with some friends to enter in a contest...which I'm sure we'll loose miserably, but it's been a fun and educational experience.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the compliment.

Blender3D 2.42a, procedural textures, all subdiv modeled. Here's a WIP thread:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73706

I think I remember seeing some of your stuff at some point. Got any links?
    -Seb

My website

For Work? I'm a part time Associate Charge Nurse at our local rehabilitation hospital.
    For pleasure? I love to relax with friends and family. Not much else on the agenda really. I do enjoy chatting to one particular friend on the net who is not in my home town.

Work takes up a lot of time unfortunately. But other than that I do read a lot mostly mysteries and thrillers. I enjoy all the sports and try to attend as may various types of games as possible. (But I do include photography with this active as much as possible so it may not count.) On weekends the smoker gets fired up and on goes the ribs, pork shoulders (for BQ), briskets and the odd turkey. When I do this we will invite from 15 to 50 people to chow down with use (just a big party the next one is on the Saturday before Labor Day the invitations are going out this week). But my number one activity is the family love to spend time with Joy and kids (when we can get them home) and of course the grandson. In all honesty though I try to incorporate photography in about everything I do with the exception of reading. That's one of the great things about photography you can enjoy it while doing a wide variety of other activities.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Talking What do you do when you're not taking pics?

Ride my motorcycle, go out in my boat, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, and various sports. I have more hobbies than I have time.

I also usually take a camera along with me for most of my activities. When I go out in the boat, there's a camera with me. Camping, hiking, fishing, there's a camera along. Photography is a secondary activity then, but it's there.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Paul,

Thanks for the compliment.

Blender3D 2.42a, procedural textures, all subdiv modeled. Here's a WIP thread:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73706

I think I remember seeing some of your stuff at some point. Got any links?
    Well, I guess there's a whole other world of 3D modeling that I know nothing about. The software I've used (SolidWorks, Unigraphics, Inventor) does not do very well with curvey parts like your example. They can be done, but it's very difficult. Most of what I do is fairly simple machined and sheet metal parts, and then I build them into assemblies. The stuff I do is purely for work and I haven't shown it to anyone because I'd get fired. It would bore you to death anyway.

Paul

these types of threads are great to get to know people....

I feel like the oddball here since I don't mountain bike ... but road bike instead ... I enjoy a great round of golf , playing on the pc, playing with my dogs, and putting miles on my road bike ... me and the wife are currently semi-training for a duathlon in green bay on oct. 1 ... a 3.1 mile run , 32 mile bike , 1.2 mile run ... if we like that we will do the sprint triathlons in 2007.

I putter in the yard tending my flowers, walk at least 1.4 miles per night w/ the dog, hubby and sometimes/rarely the kids, ride my Yamaha 125 Vino scooter, ride my mountain bike - on the road :-), go hiking and of course take photographs!

A lot of this lately. I hear better pictures are in the forecast for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I hear better pictures are in the forecast for tomorrow.
    Don't set yourself up for disappointment...
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    A lot of this lately. I hear better pictures are in the forecast for tomorrow.

Great pic Steve. Are you a part of Ray's My Life thread? Sure don't remember seeing any shots lilke this.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Great pic Steve. Are you a part of Ray's My Life thread? Sure don't remember seeing any shots lilke this.
    A friend took that a few months ago, but I'll take credit for the B&W conversion. Never really got around to the "my life" thread but I really enjoyed it. It's one of the best threads I've seen here (and that's been a lot!).

As for that Sebastian guy, he knows better. Well, I know that he knows better but maybe he doesn't know that he knows better. Or maybe he... I dunno. But he does OK.

Thread Information