ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: We are moving!

Liz

We are moving!

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm the director of a small women's residence. Previously the residence was only used for women with AIDS. The past couple of years we didn't have many referrals (new medications), so we began taking in pregnant women who are victims of domestic violence. We usually have a waiting list. It's a small residence - a regular house on a regular block. Presently we have 3 women and 2 small babies.

As with many charitable organizations, we've been struggling financially for the past couple of years, and after much discussion, the decision was made to close the residence. However, I'm hoping to get another small house and take at least one of the women and her newborn with me - and then continue to care for these women - one or two at a time. They get baby food, diapers, etc. from community agencies until they get a job, so I think I can swing it financially. I will find another home for the other women before then.

At any rate, I may not be around as much because there is a LOT of stuff that needs to be done. The official closing is in October, but I think we can still live here until December which helps. I want to get some rooms painted, carpets cleaned, and need to sell some furniture, etc.

Speaking of selling, I'm cleaning out my photography supplies and simplifying a bit. I'll be listing some miscellaneous items in the classifieds here if anyone is interested. The items should be in by this evening.

Liz

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: We are moving!

Liz,

The work you are doing is such good work. Thank you for being such a good person!

Good luck in your future work!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz I can only imagine how important your work is to you and what a disappointment it must be to lose the home. But it sounds like you have a great backup plan. I know that with your faith and your determination to do what is right, you will survive this challenge and continue to help those in need as you have for so long. When we are faced with challenges sometimes we must put aside some of the things that mean a lot to us to concentrate on other obligations. Your photography and your commitment to PR may suffer over the next few months, but keep in mind that you will be in our thoughts and we look forward to what ever roll you can play here during the coming months. God Bless.
    Last edited by Old Timer; 06-20-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I am planning some vacation in the second and third or third and fourth weeks of October depending on when the Senate adjourns for the season. I was just going to scoot up to Maine get some shots of fall foliage coastal towns things like that so I will be traveling around somewhat aimlessly at that time. If you can use an extra pair of hands and a fairly strong back let me know. I can't think of many better ways to spend vacation time then helping out a cause like yours.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Hi Liz,

You've been doing such great work for people in need for a long time, and I wish you all the best in finding another place to continue your work. I know it means so much to you.

You're a very special, and giving person. I know that first hand!

Please keep us posted as to what's going on when you are able.
    Lara

Hi Liz,

I am so sorry that your house is closing. It's hard for people to find refuge under tough times, and even tougher for people to give a person a safe place. You and your team provided such a place. Thank you...

I hope that you can find a bigger place to move into, and I hope that nobody in the house will have a place to go.

I give my thoughts to you and hope the transistion goes smoothly, and again it's a privledge to know somebody who is as giving as you.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Best of luck with it, Liz. Your work has such a tremendous and direct impact on people's lives. It really is inspiring.

BTW, did you get my post card?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

What you're doing is just amazing! I agree that it is very inspiring - good luck with all of the new changes, wish I could help you out.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I have already told you this a few times, but here I goes again...

What you do nearly brings tears of joy to my eyes, and the fact that your losing your facility saddens me. I know how much your work means to you, so I know you will never stop.

So, where are you moving to, do you have any ideas yet?
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Liz

Thanks Rick! I appreciate your thoughts and kind words. I'll keep everyone updated - and I'll be around, maybe not as often. So behave!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Liz,

The work you are doing is such good work. Thank you for being such a good person!

Good luck in your future work!

Rick

Liz

Larry,

I really appreciate all you've shared here. It is wonderful to have so many friends. I've been very moved by all the kind words and encouragement I've received here since I posted. I read some last night, but couldn't respond because I was "speechless" for a change.

I've learned through trial and error through the years that God always takes care of us and blesses us even if we just "try" to do what is right. I've had the privilege to live with and care for some of the most beautiful women I've ever met in my life in this house. I've often said that I would have opened this house for each one, if she were the only woman that ever came here to live.

Thank again.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Liz I can only imagine how important your work is to you and what a disappointment it must be to lose the home. But it sounds like you have a great backup plan. I know that with your faith and your determination to do what is right, you will survive this challenge and continue to help those in need as you have for so long. When we are faced with challenges sometimes we must put aside some of the things that mean a lot to us to concentrate on other obligations. Your photography and your commitment to PR may suffer over the next few months, but keep in mind that you will be in our thoughts and we look forward to what ever roll you can play here during the coming months. God Bless.

Liz

Wow! I certainly will say YES! to your most generous offer. By October we should also know more about where we are going (hopefully!). Either way, it would be wonderful to have you stop by for whatever amount of time you would like to help.

We're not "too" far from Maine, depending on where you're headed. I've been to Kennebunkport and the surrounding area quite a few times as there is a Franciscan Retreat House there. So I combine the best of both worlds - fun and retreat - and of course, photography. I think Kennebunkport is about 5-6 hours driving.

You can PM me at a later date when both of us know more about when and what we're doing.

Thank you again! I'm really impressed with your generosity - and your offer.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by dmm96452
    I am planning some vacation in the second and third or third and fourth weeks of October depending on when the Senate adjourns for the season. I was just going to scoot up to Maine get some shots of fall foliage coastal towns things like that so I will be traveling around somewhat aimlessly at that time. If you can use an extra pair of hands and a fairly strong back let me know. I can't think of many better ways to spend vacation time then helping out a cause like yours.

Liz

Lara,

You're such a good, dear friend! I'm so glad you're posting - and thanks for all the encouragement and support. I will keep everyone posted.

I hope you're doing well, and I still pray for you!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Hi Liz,

You've been doing such great work for people in need for a long time, and I wish you all the best in finding another place to continue your work. I know it means so much to you.

You're a very special, and giving person. I know that first hand!

Please keep us posted as to what's going on when you are able.

Liz

Thanks Loren,

Thank you for your thoughts, and I appreciate the encouragement.

I hope that you can find a bigger place to move into, and I hope that nobody in the house will have a place to go.

That is a great way to think about our future, Loren! I love it! When I get those awful "fear or negative" thoughts, I'll have to remember this!

I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I know anything.....

Liz

Liz

Hey there Steve!

Thanks for your support! I was just thinking that I'm reasonably sure you've been around PR longer than me. Right? It's great to have so many friends!

BTW, did you get my post card?

Actually I didn't. I was going to send you a pm, but thought I'd wait a bit longer. I'm glad you brought it up! :idea:

Liz

Liz

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the kind words. You always "help me out" just being here.....and in all the ways you've always been there....especially when we were "partners in crime" until Rick came along.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    What you're doing is just amazing! I agree that it is very inspiring - good luck with all of the new changes, wish I could help you out.

Liz

Hey there Paul from New Jersey!

Yep, we're moving, but I have NO idea where to yet! I do get a bit nervous thinking about it sometimes. However, I know God will bless us - and we will find just the right place at the right time.

I really appreciate your support and encouragement, Paul. You've always been a support - in many ways.

I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I know anything new. It's still in the early stages of planning. Actually we're still in the "thinking" :idea: :idea: :idea: stage!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I have already told you this a few times, but here I goes again...

What you do nearly brings tears of joy to my eyes, and the fact that your losing your facility saddens me. I know how much your work means to you, so I know you will never stop.

So, where are you moving to, do you have any ideas yet?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Don't even sweat it, Everything always works out in the end.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Hi Liz. I'm still a newbie around here but have found these boards to be filled with some extremely friendly and helpful people. Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for the good work you are providing to those women and their babies. I work in the social work field (community mental health) here in Ohio so I can relate to the passion you have for your work as well as the struggles you face. It is often a hard and emotionally draining job that many people don't understand but it rewards you in ways other jobs can't match. Good luck with the move!
    tony

Liz

Tony,
    Welcome to PR! Yes, we have a lot of very friendly and helpful people. This is where I've learned everything I know about photography. It's a great place.

Thank you for your kind words. I agree wholeheartedly with all you've said about working in this field. It gets extremely challenging - emotionally and other ways. However, the rewards are worth it all.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by tony868
    Hi Liz. I'm still a newbie around here but have found these boards to be filled with some extremely friendly and helpful people. Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for the good work you are providing to those women and their babies. I work in the social work field (community mental health) here in Ohio so I can relate to the passion you have for your work as well as the struggles you face. It is often a hard and emotionally draining job that many people don't understand but it rewards you in ways other jobs can't match. Good luck with the move!
    tony

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    ...You can PM me at a later date when both of us know more about when and what we're doing....Liz
    Will do!!!!
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Thread Information