ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

W/NW: threads With No Words.

Has anyone else thought about doing W/NW threads on PR.com? Not that I want to stifle conversation, but I kinda like looking through big long threads full of photos. Every now and then someone mentions how we should focus more on photography and less on equipment. This seems to be along those lines. But, the threads would need to be stickied for it to work. And where would we put them? Got any ideas? I'm just thinking out loud here.

Thanks,
    Paul

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: W/NW: threads With No Words.

We have done some no word threads in the past. Someone would select a topic, and post a pic. Then anyone could add their pics to that thread based on their interpretation of that topic. Here are a few examples.

No words: Rush Hour

No words: Nature

No words: Faces

No words: Youth

Some of these thread are kind of old, so some of the linked photos may no longer show up. As far as where to post a thread like this, I think all of these are in the Viewfinder forum.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Threads wouldn't need to be stickied, it's the kind of thing that people will just jump on to if the subject grabs their imagination.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Don't you have to have a min # of characters to post?

It sounds like it would be fun
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

----------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W/NW: threads With No Words.-dscf1253.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Don't you have to have a min # of characters to post?
    That's what I was thinking, so I tried it. There need to be a minimum of 10 characters, so I just used dashes...

We have had a few of these before but they have been more "W" than "NW". I agree that they really don't need to be stickies - we'd wind up with the first page of Viewfinder being all stickies! That wouldn't look too good.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    That's what I was thinking, so I tried it. There need to be a minimum of 10 characters, so I just used dashes...

We have had a few of these before but they have been more "W" than "NW". I agree that they really don't need to be stickies - we'd wind up with the first page of Viewfinder being all stickies! That wouldn't look too good.
    Stupid question. W/NW = ?? Words/No Words?

Assuming it's no words, what is the "W" before the first / for?

Told you it's a stupid question.

Liz

w/ is common abbrev for with

similar to w/o for with out

so w/nw = with no words
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    w/ is common abbrev for with

similar to w/o for with out

so w/nw = with no words
    Gotcha! Thanks. :idea:

Liz

I'm not saying a Sticky is the best solution, but I'd like to figure out a way to prevent these threads from just disappearing.

If one of these threads comes along and it doesn't grab your imagination within a few days of seeing it, the thread disappears. With a Sticky, it would be more of a slow-paced, long-term project, and more people would have a chance to participate. I remember the Rush Hour thread now...I even posted in it. But then it died. And nobody has seen it since. I'd like to have a bunch of these kinds of threads, organized in some fashion. You could just go flip through them when you want some inspiration, or you could post a shot when you have a one you're proud of but you don't want to make a big deal out of it. It could also give you ideas if you're blocked, similar to the purpose of the Monthly Projects, but more loosely organized.

Maybe if we just agreed on a format for the title...then you could search for the common element (ie. "W/NW" ) and find them all. But, that would be hard to implement.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I'm not saying a Sticky is the best solution, but I'd like to figure out a way to prevent these threads from just disappearing.

If one of these threads comes along and it doesn't grab your imagination within a few days of seeing it, the thread disappears. With a Sticky, it would be more of a slow-paced, long-term project, and more people would have a chance to participate. I remember the Rush Hour thread now...I even posted in it. But then it died. And nobody has seen it since. I'd like to have a bunch of these kinds of threads, organized in some fashion. You could just go flip through them when you want some inspiration, or you could post a shot when you have a one you're proud of but you don't want to make a big deal out of it. It could also give you ideas if you're blocked, similar to the purpose of the Monthly Projects, but more loosely organized.

Maybe if we just agreed on a format for the title...then you could search for the common element (ie. "W/NW" ) and find them all. But, that would be hard to implement.
    I agree about the Rush Hour - and/or the 24 hour threads (same?). I loved those threads. And I miss them a lot. It was so much fun and we got to know each other better through the photos we captured in 24 hours.

I think you have a great idea here.

Liz

MB1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W/NW: threads With No Words.-0-109.jpg  
    No, I DON'T need that.

Liz

maybe have one post sticked, and have a link with topic to each NW threads.... that way you can have a bunch, still be stickied at the top and easy to find, but not take up alot of room at the top.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

maybe have one post sticked, and have a link with topic to each NW threads.... that way you can have a bunch, still be stickied at the top and easy to find, but not take up alot of room at the top.
    I like that idea. It's kinda like the B&W Film/Developer Database that Aaron is working on in the Film Forum. But, it would add work for a moderator, so...

I think it could also be done in the Photo Projects forum, instead of Viewfinder. Because it is kinda like a project.

Great idea! Like Paul says, we could set it up just like the Film/Developer index. That would be easy to do and keep it down to only one sticky. If anyone starting a thread could put W/NW at the beginning of it then Rick and I can keep an eye on it and make sure the thread is added to the index.

Guess I was wrong, always thought it was words/no words but "with no words" makes a lot more sense!

EDIT: I took the liberty of kicking this off - go to it!

Thread Information